SASS Wire Forum

WTB Pair- 5.5 in barreled Open Top 44-40

Noz

Noz1860@gmail.com

And I'm not selling them, they are my favorite BP guns.

I do have a pair of 5.5" 44 OT barrels I might sell. You will have to supply the rest, like a pair of 44 Colt cylinders that you will have to ream to 44-40. Works OK if you use Winchester or Starline brass, some others the rims are too wide to work.

And I wouldn't shoot high pressure loads in them as the metal in the bolt slot is very thin. My wife's 45 OT blew out this piece and I had to replace the cylinder. So far my 44-40's are ok, but  I just run BP in them.

Slim, I've seen you describe this before.  Didn't you say the brass comes out a little "off" but okay?  Also, since most OT / conversion cylinders these days are .44 Sp;cl instead of .44 Colt, would that make any difference?  Thanks.

'

Noz

It is a bad idea to put your email address in a WTB add.  Bad people surf web forums like ours looking for this.  Then they search the web and find a picture of what you are looking for and send it to you like they have it for sale.  Once you send the money you never hear from them again.  At least with a PM you stand a chance of knowing if they have a presence on the forum and can see how long they have been a member.  Just my two cents.

According to "Cartridges of the World"  44-40 neck size is .443. Figuring a .429 bullet, that leaves .014 for the thickness of the brass, or .007 on each side. 44 S&W Special is listed as .457 neck size, minus .429 bullet, makes the brass .014 on each side, more or less. So the brass in my guns probably expands more at the neck than most 44-40, but I get at least 6 loadings out of it so I don't care.

The other difference is the reamer I rented was cut to put more of a gentle taper more than a sharp bottle neck, more like what is on the SAAMI spec sheet than what Uberti and others cut. It does make it more difficult to tell it from 45 Colt than other brass, but my kids and I shoot 44-40 and my wife shoots 45 CS, so again, I don't care.

pm me an e-mail address and I can send you pics of them, one had been "worked on".

Archived