SASS Wire Forum

Marlin ejection

Rough 'N Ready Rob

6 hours ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

Has any one figured out how to make there Marlin eject to 3 o clock and not out the front, losing lots of brass. Tried lighting the spring. no help.

Thanks Rob

Take a step or 2 back. :lol:

Ranger Point Precision has and extractor that will help to tame that.

OLG 

13 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Take a step or 2 back. :lol:

Ranger Point Precision has and extractor that will help to tame that.

OLG 

Yep I agree with OLG. The RPP extractor pretty much just dumps the brass out to the side about a foot or two in my two Marlins.

The 'Secret' to a side or slightly rearward case ejection on the Marlin 1894 is..... a secret.

The angle of ejection is basically determined by the position of the Extractor claw and its

tension (or lack thereof) on the case rim.   The Ejector itself plays a minor role.

From my experience, getting a 90-degree throw or slightly rearward throw of the empty brass

is luck based on finding that happy medium of the Extractor tension holding the case rim

to the bolt face, yet not overly stiff in its tension.

To soft on the tension and you'll get weak, or no, ejections.  

To stiff of tension and you'll likely experience feeding issues because the case rim will

have difficulty pushing under the Extractor during the feeding process.

And neither Maximum or Minimum spring tension will probably give you the ejection

results you are looking for.

For me, its just been hitting a 'sweet spot' and being 'lucky' when I get one that

has a consistant 90-degree or backward ejection of empty brass.

When you get one to feed good, smooth and reliable and also ejects good,  its easy to

forget about the direction of the empty brass.

As I mentioned above, this is just from my experience.

EDIT:  I was hoping Lumpy would have stated all this to keep me from typing it all out.

His fingers must be tired or his computer is low on black ink..... ;)

..........Widder

Wdider,  you got it just right on the Marlin 44WCF that's now Sawmill Mary's.  If she's not shooting a wide sweep, it would put the empties in gallon bucket just to her right. 

Last Sunday I shot my Marlin 45Colt that you talked me through setting it up to run C45S.  I hadn't shot it in a while and some of the cases went out the window and in front of the stage. Some were on the table and some at my feet.

We have a lady that shoots a Marlin and nearly every case goes out in front of the stage.  But I've watched videos of her shooting it and, as with every gun she shoots,  she leans into the stage as far as possible and the action of her Marlin is generally past the front of the stage.  

Even my Miroku Winchester 73 just shots the cases about 8" above action and they fall to the right. 

Lumpy is familiar with RPP 1894 Extractor and those springs, which HE helped in their testing and input, along

with some other lesser known Cowboy shooter (whose name I have forgotten)... ;).

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Lumpy is familiar with RPP 1894 Extractor and those springs, which HE helped in their testing and input, along

with some other lesser known Cowboy shooter (whose name I have forgotten)... ;).

..........Widder

That por-homeless starv'n cowboy spells his name like this

W-I-D-D-E-R :lol:

OLG 

Hey Lumpy,

I think you're on to something. I worked on my Marlin today. I found a spring in my goody box about the same size as RP spring but with heaver coils, I think it helped. Empty brass around 2:00, dummy's went zooming back at 5:00. I will know more when I get to the range next Sat.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

2 hours ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

Hey Lumpy,

I think you're on to something. I worked on my Marlin today. I found a spring in my goody box about the same size as RP spring but with heaver coils, I think it helped. Empty brass around 2:00, dummy's went zooming back at 5:00. I will know more when I get to the range next Sat.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

Call RPP and get 2-3 of the uncut springs to experiment with.

Trust me on this. ;)

OLG 

Archived