SASS Wire Forum

Brass help

Oldbeans

I've been having an issue with my brass "sticking" in my dies.  I wet tumble with Frankford arsenal cleaner.  I have several thousand that need help.

What's the best way to fix this? Will either of these methods add a little "lube" to the mix?

Option 1: wet tumble again with wash and wax 

Option 2: dry tumble with a little nu finish.

What I do is de-prime then wet tumble with car wash/wax.  After drying I spray the cases with One Shot, once it dries I go about loading.  I found that with the One Shot the cases feed much smoother through the dies.  YMMV 

3 minutes ago, Oldbeans said:

I have the same method.  Deprime then clean.  I have some one shot I'll give it a try. Thanks

Lightly - a little goes a long way. Some transfers to the resizing die & helps .

When I started wet tumbling I used “LSD”:  Lemishine and Dawn.  Dawn is such an effective degreaser that my cases tended to gall in the carbide/nitride sizing dies.  Never got one stuck, though.  I found that it was sufficient to spray a little One Shot case lube on the clean cases and let them dry.

Later I began using ArmorAll Wash n Wax in place of Dawn.  It seems to work better.

Yep, Hornady OneShot on the pistol caliber cases.   Even on 44-40 - even though the case is thin and usually won't stick in the sizer, the sizer dies are all steel rather than carbide, so spraying them just makes sizing that much easier.

OneShot is not enough for bottleneck rifle cases, though.    I like a grease type lube, like Hornady's Unique Case Lube.

Neither of your suggested options would do enough lubing of the case, I would expect.

Good luck, GJ

Abe...my issue is galling in my expander die the brass is just too clean. I did a test run just now...few cases in a old pb jar squirt of one shot and swirl them around.  Let them air dry for a few min. They had no issue 'sticking'... thanks

1 hour ago, Oldbeans said:

I have the same method.  Deprime then clean.  I have some one shot I'll give it a try. Thanks

Ok since I've got thousands to do the towel method seems logical thanks!

Then case lube that Dillon sells will work much better.

Spray the towel-NOT the cases.

OLG 

1 hour ago, Oldbeans said:

Abe...my issue is galling in my expander die the brass is just too clean. I did a test run just now...few cases in a old pb jar squirt of one shot and swirl them around.  Let them air dry for a few min. They had no issue 'sticking'... thanks

That puts the lube inside the case-good way to see FTF's in your next shoot.

OLG 

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Yep, Hornady OneShot on the pistol caliber cases.   Even on 44-40 - even though the case is thin and usually won't stick in the sizer, the sizer dies are all steel rather than carbide, so spraying them just makes sizing that much easier.

OneShot is not enough for bottleneck rifle cases, though.    I like a grease type lube, like Hornady's Unique Case Lube.

Neither of your suggested options would do enough lubing of the case, I would expect.

Good luck, GJ

I have used my towel method of case lubing for over 30 yrs.

I've used to size my .50 BMG cases with no issue. 

Take that towel when done and store in a zip-lock back for future use.

To remove the lube from the loaded ammo. Take a clean bath towel and spray with lacquer  thinner and do the same movement as you did to apply the lube.

Spread ammo on another towel to let the LT evaporate for a bit.

OLG 

43 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

With Hornady OneShot I have never had a squib due to lube in the case in 15 years of cowboy and wild bunch matches.   A small number of times there was no POWDER in the case, but that was when I was not running a powder lock-out die. 

OneShot dries pretty darn fast.   Wait a couple of minutes and unless you are drenching cases with that spray, you are good to load.

Other ways of lubing cases may work, but I know my way works for me.

Just My Experience, GJ

3 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

What I do is de-prime then wet tumble with car wash/wax.  After drying I spray the cases with One Shot, once it dries I go about loading.  I found that with the One Shot the cases feed much smoother through the dies.  YMMV 

One Shot spray does a great job of lubing SG shells too to keep hulls from sticking.  I spray once lightly after I load, makes them good to go even months later.  

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

Supposedly One Shot will not affect powder or primers if used as directed.

For what it’s worth when I load bottleneck rifle cartridges I use powdered mica to lubricate the inside of case necks.

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

With Hornady OneShot I have never had a squib due to lube in the case in 15 years of cowboy and wild bunch matches.   A small number of times there was no POWDER in the case, but that was when I was not running a powder lock-out die. 

OneShot dries pretty darn fast.   Wait a couple of minutes and unless you are drenching cases with that spray, you are good to load.

Other ways of lubing cases may work, but I know my way works for me.

Just My Experience, GJ

More than one way to "skin a frog". ;)

OLG 

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I lay my cases flat on a cookie sheet. Spray with OneShot and let dry.  Most important is to be sure to shake the can good before using.

Same here.

I have Hornady One Shot lube but like Sharp Shoot R Royal Case Sizing Lube allot better (MidwayUSA) for all bottle neck cases especially .223, 30/30 & 44-40.

Hornady One Shot.  Put maybe 500 cases or so on a cardboard box, then pour them into another cardboard box while spraying Hornady OS into the stream of cases.  Takes maybe 3 to 5 seconds and you get enough lube on the cases to make them run smoothly in the dies.

A can of lube lasts a long time using this method.  After spraying, just pour the brass back into the first box and after a couple of minutes of drying, they are ready for the loader.  

I use this method for all of the pistol calibers that I load including both straight walled 32, 38, 44 and 45 cases; as well as the thin walled bottle necked 32-20, and 44-40’s.

It’s not enough lube for high powered rifle cartridges though.

I use the "shake and bake" method for a while.  Put a 100 or so cases in a large ziploc bag.  Lay on side on loading bench and spread the cases out. Then spray over them with One Shot. Close bag ASAP and message and shake bag to distribute.  Dump in tray for loading. 

Lately I've been filing loading blocks and then spraying over the mouth and top half.  I feel a benefit from getting some inside the neck area.  

I put a piece of the waffle grid from a fluorescent light in the bottom of an old cake pan, shake brass onto it. Most settle base-down, a few have to be flipped. 

Then I can inspect them for cracks and debris inside, separate odd cases (.357 vs. .38) and hit ‘em with a spray of OS from both sides. A little gets in the case mouth, but that just helps with the expander plug and has never been an issue. 

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I use the "shake and bake" method for a while.  Put a 100 or so cases in a large ziploc bag.  Lay on side on loading bench and spread the cases out. Then spray over them with One Shot. Close bag ASAP and message and shake bag to distribute.  Dump in tray for loading. 

Lately I've been filing loading blocks and then spraying over the mouth and top half.  I feel a benefit from getting some inside the neck area.  

I tried spraying One Shot over the cases in the case loader, as they churned.  It worked great for the cases, but gradually gummed up the tray, requiring nearly an hour of difficult cleaning.  

I noticed when i switched over from 38 Specials to 9 mm that the press required a lot more effort, even with carbide dies.

Since then I've used a little case lube for everything.  Really saves effort.

I went with the home-made lube of 91 to 99% alcohol mixed with a little liquid lanolin.  Works very well if you allow just a couple minutes or more drying time before loading.

Archived