SASS Wire Forum

I'm looking for a 1911 in 9mm,  anyone got any recommendations? Colt, Springfield, Remington, Rock Island???  

Whatcha all got??

Howdy RYE.

Although I don't own a 1911 in 9mm, I have looked at a few of them very close.

Favorites at this time:

Springfield (particularly their P19229L model).

Kimber

I don't normally buy 9mm but rather prefer .357 SIG and 10mm pistols.

But for the 1911 model in 9mm, there are some dandy pistols available.

..........Widder

Rye

I have a Springfield EMP that I purchased new. I added genuine ivory grips. it has been a bedstand gun for a number of years. If this interests you PM me and I will come up with a fair price.

HD

IMG_3175.jpeg

IMG_3927.jpeg

IMG_3926.jpeg

Just now, Hillbilly Drifter said:

Rye

I have a Springfield EMP that I purchased new. I added genuine ivory grips. it has been a bedstand gun for a number of years. If this interests you PM me and I will come up with a fair price.

HD

IMG_3175.jpeg

IMG_3927.jpeg

IMG_3926.jpeg

Looks nice but I was thinking something full size. Thanks

Ruger SR 1911T: gov't model, all stainless, target sights; almost like shootin' a 22.

Ruger SR 1911 CMD size, alloy frame, SS barrel and slide; nice EDC, very accurate.

Ruger SR 1911 Officer, alloy frame, SS barrel and slide, even nicer EDC, also very accurate.

As you can tell, I like the SR 1911 family. :)  My WB gun is...you guessed it - SR 1911 gov't model.

JC

Budget: Ruger, as Joe Cross listed.

Higher budget: Dan Wesson. My Valkyrie Commander 9mm is 90% of a Wilson or Nighthawk and is less than half the cost.

I have a new production Colt in 9mm and I love it. 

Made a few changes, 10-8 rear sight, EGW flat trigger, match barrel by Clark,

trigger job to bring it down to 4#, and a few things like Wilson tactical safety,

checkered flat mainspring housing.

Colt's are listing for $670 or so when in stock, so the up grades kept it below $1000,

and it's very accurate  now as well.

Shown below testing ammo in the 1911 and the Glock G43.

IMG_3500.thumb.JPG.2937d13850d23b29240933e8cd0f22fc.JPG

Before I lost it in that damn boating accident, I had a Colt Lightweight Commander in 9mm. I love, I mean loved, it.

I had one built on a custom Caspian frame and slide.  The barrel was made by bar-sto.  The gunsmiths I spoke with while doing the design all told me the 1911 platform was designed with the .45 ACP cartridge in mind, so the best way to get a 9mm to function properly was to fully ramp the barrel.  So I did, and it's flawless.  The barrel was made with the ramp incorporated into it, and the frame was made with the ramp machined out of it.  

Of course I have over $3500 into the gun, but it shoots like you would expect a gun with that price tag to shoot :)

42 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

RM, may I ask why a 9mm in a full size gun?

Is it because of round count?

OLG 

Sure, I want a full size because I’m not buying it for carry and I’ll just shoot it at the range and it’ll be  house gun too. I like the feel of a full size 1911. ;)

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Sure, I want a full size because I’m not buying it for carry and I’ll just shoot it at the range and it’ll be  house gun too. I like the feel of a full size 1911. ;)

Why not go with the .45acp cartridge then?

OLG 

I have 2:  Ruger Lightweight Commander,  9mm........great gun, shoots all ammo well and  very accurate.  Almost no recoil.

Also the Sig P938, very small and compact, also great but only likes quality ammo.

Why the 9mm and not the .45?  Ease of carry and light recoil.  

But you cannot beat the .45 in a full size Government configuration.  Carried a Colt for decades in law enforcement, it is not for sale..

I have the 3" Springfield EMP, a Springfield Armory Loaded 5", a Ruger Officers' Model lightweight and a Dan Wesson Guardian...all in 9mm.  

As much as I love Springfield, the EMP is my least favorite of these guns.  It won't group well. 

The 9mm Loaded is my competition gun for single stack 9mm.  

The Ruger Officers Model is a absolute joy to shoot, and was the cheapest of these 1911s to buy.  The group on the picture with it was shot off hand, from 7 yards, with Federal 9mm +P 124 grain JHP ammo. 

The Dan Wesson Guardian is my latest purchase, and I'm still experimenting with it.  I shot a police qualification with it and the little Ruger, and the DW shot a 96, but the Ruger shot a clean target with 100%.  Our qualifications start at the 25 yard line and move in to the 5 yard line, and use 50 rounds.

Palmetto State Armory is running a special today on the Springfield Armory Range Officer Elite 9mm, a 4" gun, for $699.  Range Officer Elite

emp.jpg

9mm loaded Springfield.jpg

ruger lw officer.jpg

guardian.jpg

35 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

I have one, a Colt.

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Find a Colt in .38 Super. ;)

OLG 

Nope, 9 mm is cheaper and plentiful!

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

If what the local gun shops stock is any indication, 9mm 1911s are now more popular than the .45 versions. The simple reason is cost of ammo. $8.99 for a box of 9mm locally vs $16.99 for .45ACP. You can do a lot more shootin'. There was a time when I laughed at 9mm 1911s because I thought they were a complete waste of precious steel, but the cost difference in ammo is starting to make me think harder about getting one myself. I love my .45s but I simply can't afford to shoot them as much as I would like.

Kimber CDP II

CDP II 1.jpgCDP II 2.jpg

Howdy,

Springfield or Ruger. Trim it out how you like.

And the price is well, the price.

I bet either could make you pleased.

Best

CR

My wife has a full size Rock Island 1911 tactical in 9mm. It's what she really wanted and she has put something like 4500 plus rounds through it.

I refuse to shoot it, because it is just stupid fun. :D

I have an STI Sentry I bought new in 2012.  Its a full size 1911 in 9mm.   They have since discontinued that model but have others.  STI makes an awesome gun.  Its one of my favorites to shoot and very accurate.    I have a couple other 1911s in .45 but I wanted a 9mm for the same reason you stated.....  smaller round, easy and cheap to load for.  and I just wanted it.  LOL!

DSC_2690.JPG

1 hour ago, Irish-Pat said:

Just get a Browning Hi Power.

I like the Hi Power, but it isn't a 1911. 

19 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

I can't speak for the OP, but for me the reason for going to the 9mm was that there are very reliable magazines available now

with 10 rds in them, and the recoil of the full sized 1911 with 9mm ammo is a lot easier on my wrists and hands. 

As an added bonus there is very good self defense ammo out there now as well for the 9mm.

The gun is a little heavy for carry these days, my back isn't a strong and spry as it was 45 years ago, but it would

do in a pinch or for home defense use.

I miss being able to do 500 round days with the .45, but at least with the 9mm I can still shoot a lot and not end up hurting.

Shadow Catcher

I have a Series 70 Government Model in 9mm that I bought back in the 90s. It was kind of spotlighted on a table at the Monroeville, PA gun show, and you might say it just reached up and asked me to take it home.   It was customized by a Pittsburgh area gunsmith and it is an amazing piece of work.  It locks up like a bank vault and really shoots.  I bought it with shooting IPSC in mind.  One day I got to run an IPSC type match at my club.  One target had an A zone about the size of a pop can.  I put a double tap into the A zone and I was just amazed.  And the great thing was that the price of the gun was less than what the work would probably cost.  I'm keeping it forever.

I looked at a nice used Springfield yesterday. $400.00 Hmmmmm................

Archived