SASS Wire Forum

Prescription Shooting Glasses

Hiram A. Boeuf

Howdy, Pards!

Went to the eye doctor the other day...thinking about ordering a pair of shooting glasses with one eye set to front sight distance and the other my standard prescription. Looking at the Wiley X Boss (with prescription lenses) or Wiley X Vapor (with interchangeable shields and clear prescription inserts). Does anyone have experience with either of these glasses, or can you recommend a better choice? Not looking to spend much more than $250 if I can help it. Iron, leather, lead and brass took up most of my cowboy budget this past year as I got into the game. Thanks for your advice!

Hiram A. Boeuf

I tried on all the Wiley X frames my local eye doc had in stock and none really fit my face.  Since it was a super cheap option, I ordered some Elvex safety glasses with the magnification (readers) that is the full lens.  They are less than $10 on amazon, so I got a couple different magnifications.  That was about a year ago and I have been shooting in them ever since.  Saved me a lot compared to prescription shooting glasses.

May not work for everyone, but it's a cheap test to see if they can work for you.  Can always return them on Amazon.

Totes

I have a set exactly like you describe.  Bear with me for a little back story.

I have worn glasses since age 5, bifocals since age 7.  About 5 years ago I had to go to trifocals because I work with computers all day.  I tried the varilux style of lenses & they literally made me sick - the sharp divisions between the lens areas are what I am used to.  The 24 inch focal zone in my glasses is the "tri" part of the lens & that is exactly at front sight distance.  I have had prescription shooting glasses for 10 years, but always had them made for distance.  After a less-than-favorable performance last year at EoT (17 misses) I realized that I wasn't seeing the front sight at all when shooting.  Targets were clear, but I don't remember seeing the front sight at all.  On the drive home, I told Kay Sadeeya that I had to do something different.

When we got home, I made an appointment with the optometrist in town, who is also a hunter.  Told him my problem & he suggested making the right lens (dominant eye) in the midrange prescription & the left lens in the distance prescription, then put a stick-on bifocal on the left lens for close up work.  I shut my left eye when shooting, so it made sense.  The only worry I had was if normal "walking around" vision would cause problems with the 2 different prescriptions in the lenses.

I took the prescription to WalMart's optical shop, had them make up a pair of shooting glasses (wraparound frames like I had before), then put the stick-on bifocal on the left lens.  First match where I used them, it took about 5 minutes to get used to them then I didn't notice anything unusual.  Walking around, no problem, keeping score with a tablet, no problem...& I shot the match clean.  Mission accomplished.

It worked for me, but your mileage may vary.

Holler

I have used the Wiley X prescription glasses for about 5 years now and they work well for me.

Kajun

At SASS distances, I find my regular set of computer screen glasses works well.
Our targets are so large, they do not have to be crystal clear to point at them.
My computer glasses are dialed in for screen distance, which is very similar to my front sight distance.

I have purchased my last 3 pairs of shooting glasses from Zenni.com

Got front sight set for shooting eye and after cataract surgery clear in other eye.  Before that, prescription for distance in other eye so I could walk around without falling  :-).

Quality glasses run under $100.00 with single vision lens'.

i found some but ive not tried them yet so i wont recommend them till i do , i have needed them for some time but found most i happened on wanting with dead spots and distortions , my wide peripheral vision has disadvantages at times , every things fine when focused on a certain spot but real disorienting when looking about - checking right/left for any reason , 

so far , here in the house , no issue , i will see when i get outside with activity all around me , looking forward to shooting with them as well , i need them - hope they work 

I like Wiley-X Ballistic Safety Glasses because the frames fit my face well.

Cat Brules

I currently use the Rebel frame with prescription lense.  I really like the wrap around lense but it always takes two tries to get it right for me.  When you get them, if everything looks distorted like your looking through a GoPro make them redo the lenses.  My eye doctor office always tries to make me "get use to them" by wearing them for a couple days...never works, just send them back and they fix'em on the second try.

If you haven't already I would definitely try them on for fit first.  When I first looked into Wiley's I had a couple frames in mind but when I went to try them on they weren't even close to fitting.  Guess I was looking at "large" frames and I need small-medium.

Also might look into tints, they offer almost any color.  Everyone seems to have their own preference.  Mine are a slight bronze, really like the increase in color and depth perception.

After talking to a shooter who was an Optometrist, I bought a set of ESS ICE glasses with a clip on frame behind a regular pair of tinted glasses. The clip ons could be taken to any eyeglass maker. I had a bifocal set to the front site of my revolvers and the rest of the lens for distance. It takes about a half hour for your eyes to adjust to the lenses, so put them on when you get to the match. Works great for me andit was cheaper and easier than getting prescriptions from shooting glass maker.

FYI,......GRAY lenses will give the sharpest and truest color rendition.

Cat Brules

Archived