SASS Wire Forum

UK buntline disassembly - a Challenge!

GordonBH

GordonBH, why not clean it as best you can and then pack (like a bearing) the frame with some Mobil 1 grease? That will take care of internal "cleaning chores" for years (maybe for rest of its life since it's a cartridge gun). Just clean the barrel and cylinder and wipe down the frame.

Mike

Hi Watab,

Very kind of you to offer me the opportunity to shoot with you and your friends.  Hopefully I can make it happen.

Glad we (the British) assisted with the 2nd, wish it applied to us, still it is what it is.  Will be shooting it on Tuesday, shooting black of course.

Regards Gordon

2 hours ago, 45 Dragoon said:

GordonBH, why not clean it as best you can and then pack (like a bearing) the frame with some Mobil 1 grease? That will take care of internal "cleaning chores" for years (maybe for rest of its life since it's a cartridge gun). Just clean the barrel and cylinder and wipe down the frame.

Mike

Might be an idea with the grease...

Here's a wild idea for ya ..... Make the grips removable like you described. Take that puppy to a car wash or borrow a pressure washer and blast it with hot soapy water. Then dry it with an air hose, hit it liberally with WD40, hang it up to drip dry. Lube it with your choice of products and grease it up with Mobil 1 where desired. A wonderful afternoon fiddling with the gun maybe aided with a couple pints of Black & Tan. Whadaya think ?  Cheers !

34 minutes ago, 45 Dragoon said:

Dangit!!! I forgot the Black & Tan !!  or even a couple pints of Guinness .  .  .  

Good call Yusta B

Great minds pardner  :)

On 3/4/2020 at 11:06 AM, Warden Callaway said:

I have a Colt SAA on my workbench so I tried to take the hammer out without taking the backstrap off.  Almost.  I could pull it down far enough to get hand out.  But still couldn't get it out top or bottom. 

277061931_Colthammer1March2020.jpg.f7926cc82f72673abe97545ac8118455.jpg

891667738_Colthammer2March2020.jpg.a6145531ac44502fc6f608af6a4c8fc5.jpg

But.. it was pulled down or pushed up enough to do cleaning.  Clean hammer cut with Q-tip.  

You could modify the hammer and or cut in backstrap to make enough room. 

If you knock the pin out of the hammer to free the firing pin the hammer should come out the bottom along with the pawl. If it is a late model design getting the pawl spring and plunger in and out will be a trick.

Because of the way it is done I bet it has the old style leaf  spring. 

Hi Nate,

Great advice, I would say you have beaten the challenge.  I could grind out the top left of the back strap to reveal the hand's  plunger spring retaining screw and then replace the firing pin retaining pin with a screw.  I think that would do it.

With everyone's input I think you have cracked it.  Many thanks.

Regards Gordon

Ps shot 50 x BP 30 grains pushing a 250 grn RNFP through it.  Worked fine although it needs a good pull on the hammer.   But all hit the paper.  Cleaning was fun with just the cylinder out so will plan the mods.

Archived