SASS Wire Forum

Bought a Taurus Spectrum is a Real POS

Sent this note to Taurus today - Bought a Spectrum on 1/16/20. It has severe functioning issues. Sent it back for repairs; you received it @10:29 am on 1/29/20. Never heard a thing about its status. Called you on 3/2-3 and took 6 calls and over 1-1/2 hours to finally connect with a Taurus Rep. Was told it would take 12 weeks to repair. I want a full refund of my purchase price. Please let me know how to do this.

I'll let you folks know the progress with this matter. I fully intend to get my $$$ back from them.

12 WEEKS ? ? ?

Thanks for letting us know what a POS these things are.

I hope you get a refund of your full purchase price.

Howdy,

It seems to me that gun shops would do us all a favor not stocking these.

Even the cheaper offerings from major makers can be trouble.

I once bought an  off brand 1911, struggled with it then traded it

for a 1911 with Colt on the slide. So after a couple decades it did

need a fresh set of springs....

Best

CR

I've been tempted by "bargain" guns from time to time. Lately, I've made an effort to stick with big name manufacturers, such as Ruger and S&W. I like my LCP II and my S&W Shields (9mm & .45 acp) which have run flawlessly. I purchased those on sale and would note that Cabelas currently has the original 9mm on sale for $249.

This company has gone completely off the rails. They used to make decent revolvers and pistols at an affordable price. I really liked my Gauchos, in fact the friend I sold them to still runs them problem free. They just stopped caring to produce a quality product and no existent service and support.

They have singlehandedly destroyed their name.

A year or so ago I sent back two PT-111 9mms for extraction issues. They had them for four months and sent them back to me after replacing just the extractor springs. I tried to sell them afterwards, but I got next to nothing for one of them and I still haven't sold the other one yet.

Word is that their new .22 pistol is pretty nice, but I wouldn't recommend anything else they make and yes their customer service is about the worst in the industry. They refuse to sell pare parts to end users, meaning if I needed another extractor spring I'd have to send my pistol back to them again and wait another several months. :rolleyes:

I bought a new Taurus PT1911 when they first came out. When the Wartrace Regulators had our first WB match I used it to win top shooter, based entirely on the PT1911 working flawlessly for the entire match, no feed or firing malfunctions. Every other shooter had some FTF, mag or ammo issues. A good friend bought a pair of Gauchos that we now own and they work perfectly for SASS. 

I read the review and the entire thread following it and I am not likely to buy a Spectrum based on it. I appreciate the OP who simply told the truth of HIS experience with Taurus Customer Service and product quality. We are very lucky and very spoiled by folks like Dillon who deliver the goods and service. If they are less than 100% they own up and then make it right. Sadly Taurus seems to have missed that lesson.

Imis

As Gun Room Manager for Sportsman's Warehouse for five years, I sent back more Taurus revolvers for warranty service than everything else we carried, combined. Their autos seemed to work fine - I think I only sent two back, and one of them was for sight screw the owner buggered up trying to get loose. The Judge was the worst of the lot.

What's sad is that 20-30 years ago Taurus was the leader in inexpensive yet high quality handguns. I had a PT-92 9mm (their copy of a Beretta) and a .38 Special 85 snubbie back in the early 1990s, and they were very good guns. Not long ago I had a chance to look at a recent-production PT-92, and the cost-cutting on it was so obvious that I immediately knew I wouldn't want it. When you start out as a value handgun manufacturer and you cheapen your product even further to save money the outcome can't be good.

On 3/3/2020 at 4:53 PM, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

I'll let you folks know the progress with this matter. I fully intend to get my $$$ back from them.

I had the same problem with my new Stoeger SxS that died.
I asked the RMA rep for a refund, and got it.
In full.

That refund is now sitting in Deuce Steven's email box as payment for the Charles Daly he is selling.

At the LGS I work part time for, we sell a ton of the G2C, G2S and TH9 pistols.  We also sell the Spectrum, which I try to steer people away from.  We don't get a lot of complaints, but we do get a few. 

I've not had an issue with a double action revolver from Taurus. 

Of course, there was the most awful creation ever built...the Taurus Thunderbolt rifle.  After two years of trying to make one work, and two trips back to the factory, I sold it for a hundred dollar bill just to get rid of it.  

On 3/5/2020 at 8:08 AM, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I've not had an issue with a double action revolver from Taurus. 

I have a half a dozen model 85s in various configurations, and I've not had trouble with any of them. I've also got a 94, (.22) made on the same frame. They all wear the old "banana" grips, cut down to a "boot" grip style. I also have one of the old model 82 police trade ins that showed up a few years ago. 

They're all old, and they all work.

I don't know about the newer versions, but I've got no problem carrying the ones I have for my CCW.

Archived