SASS Wire Forum

IAC M99 Stock Removal Perplexion

Bisley Joe

I have an IAC Model99 Coachgun. It's well made, but the stock shape is awful in my opinion: feels chunky and clunky. I was going to sell it to get a Cimarron Coachgun, but don't think I'd get much for it, and it makes a good back up anyway. So, I'd like to remove the stock so I can reshape it a bit and give it some nicer lines. Problem is, I can't figure out how to separate the stock from the action! Ive removed the screws, but it won't budge-even with some tapping and nudging. I just looked at the manual with the exploded view, but that doesn't really explain much. I'll keep studying the drawing though, to see if anything pops out at me.

Does anyone here have an idea how to do this?

Thanks!

On 3/3/2020 at 2:02 PM, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

not familiar, but pull the buttplate and check to see if they have a bolt going in through the stock.

Hadn't thought of that! Will give it a try!

Thanks!

The IAC 99 is the same as the JW-2000 except it has a cross bolt safety that blocks the firing pins.

If you tighten the screw that keeps the cross safety from moving it provides a neat (legal) "prop" that raises the gun up a tad to make it easy to pick up from a horizontal stage position.  :ph34r:

Anyhow ... on these guns ... the stock is not attached to the receiver ... Everything attaches to the stock. There is no "thru the stock" bolt holding the stock on.

Take the fore end and barrels off ... remove the two side plates ... and the trigger guard. 

If you look under the trigger guard (w/o even taking it apart) ... near the rear you will see a screw that goes "up" and into the tail end of the receiver. If you look at the tail end of the receiver (on the top behind the thumb safety) you will see the end of that screw. 

If you take "that" screw out w/ the sideplates removed the receiver will slide off of the stock ... 

This is a very easy gun to work on ... Once you have the slide plates off you can change the (coil) mainsprings or whatever.

Do not mix up the sideplate screws ... put them back in the same holes you got them from ... or ... you will be sorry ... (don't ask me how I know that). 

Here are links to the manual for the JW2000 as well as the IAC99w ... The (part) schematics at the rear are very helpful.

Good luck/Have fun ... etc etc ... 

https://www.centuryarms.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf/Model99WShotgun.pdf

https://www.centuryarms.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf/CIA_JW-2000CoachShotgunManualFINAL.pdf

6 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

The IAC 99 is the same as the JW-2000 except it has a cross bolt safety that blocks the firing pins...

Thank you!

I'll certainly try that as soon as I can!

I was actually thinking if there's a way to remove that cross lock bolt thing. Maybe chop off the part that sticks out?

Anyway, I'll report back asap.

Thanks again!

50 minutes ago, Bisley Joe said:

> SNIP <

I was actually thinking if there's a way to remove that cross lock bolt thing. Maybe chop off the part that sticks out?

> SNIP <

You can pull the rod out ... but .. you have to remove the firing pins to let it slide out ... and then you would have a hole on each side ... or ... just trim the left side yeah ... but ...

There is a tiny little hole on the breech face between the firing pins ... and ... if you look in that hole you will see a screw head. That screw has a spring and ball under it that puts tension on the safety rod.

If you tighten that screw down the rod won't move ... it will be frozen in place ... sticking out on the left side. 

Now .. when you stage the gun left side down you don't have to worry about the rod being pushed in and and applying the safety (blocking the firing pins) ... plus ... the part sticking out on the left side will prop the gun up nicely. 

This will allow you to snatch it off a table easier ... AND ... it is perfectly legal!! ^_^ 

• 3 weeks later...

Still have to get around to doing this!

Been in the middle of a move, with the usual hectic PIA.

BUT, tomorrow I'll be taking a break and shooting at my first SASS shoot since 2007! Don't have all my clothing or gear, but it'll still be fun!

I'll report back about the shotgun once I get it done!

THank you!

It's a small club, so it wasn't a problem. I'll put up a short video on youtube soon.

As far as the shotgun goes, I removed the screws that seem to attach the stock to the action, with no results. I have to get around to trying the other technique described above. Should do so soon and I'll post results. Been busy moving!

Archived