SASS Wire Forum

Altor 9mm Single Shot

Subdeacon Joe

In my opinion, the Liberator was a critical, single purpose weapon and was a looong way FROM being “useless”.

Cat Brules

Since there are no actual reports of a Liberator being used for its intended purpose I would also have to say it was pretty useless...just like this Altor “suicide special”.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Since there are no actual reports of a Liberator being used for its intended purpose I would also have to say it was pretty useless...just like this Altor “suicide special”.

Looked good on paper. ;)

$130, one shot. For another ten bucks, you can get a beautiful Hi Point C9 with actual sights and an 8 shot magazine. Ugly, heavy, works every time. 

7 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

$130, one shot. For another ten bucks, you can get a beautiful :o Hi Point C9 with actual sights and an 8 shot magazine. Ugly, heavy, usually works every time. 

Fixed it. From all the feedback I get, they either work great or they have issues all the time. Hence, when people ask me about them, I always say "Twice the weight, half the magazine capacity and questionable reliability compared to other pistols." The plus side is they are said to have amazing customer service. 

25 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Fixed it. From all the feedback I get, they either work great or they have issues all the time. Hence, when people ask me about them, I always say "Twice the weight, half the magazine capacity and questionable reliability compared to other pistols." The plus side is they are said to have amazing customer service. 

They aren't as bad as the old Ring of Fire guns. A LOT of those old Jammin' Jennings and Jimenez were basically disposable.  I saw many of those guns come into the shop for 'repair' with broken firing pins before they had been shot enough to need a cleaning.

I'm not a Hi Point fan but their carbines would make a dandy affordable house gun for someone on a limited budget and little firearms experience.  As ugly as they are, they shoulder and point extremely well and quite naturally.   That gives the novice shooter 3 points of contact for accuracy, low recoil due to the weight and it being transferred directly to the torso and more velocity than the same round from a handgun.

5 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

They aren't as bad as the old Ring of Fire guns. A LOT of those old Jammin' Jennings and Jimenez were basically disposable.  I saw many of those guns come into the shop for 'repair' with broken firing pins before they had been shot enough to need a cleaning.

I'm not a Hi Point fan but their carbines would make a dandy affordable house gun for someone on a limited budget and little firearms experience.  As ugly as they are, they shoulder and point extremely well and quite naturally.   That gives the novice shooter 3 points of contact for accuracy, low recoil due to the weight and it being transferred dire tly to the torso annd more velocity than the same round from a handgun.

Without a doubt, if I were left to choose between a Hi-Point and a Jennings / Jimenez or Lorkin, the Hi-Point would be an easy pick. The Hi-Point carbines have a definite following. People seem to love them, and I get asked if we have any on a fairly regular basis. I find them heavy for what they are, personally, but your insights are well taken!

5 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I'm not a Hi Point fan but their carbines would make a dandy affordable house gun for someone on a limited budget and little firearms experience.  As ugly as they are, they shoulder and point extremely well and quite naturally.   That gives the novice shooter 3 points of contact for accuracy, low recoil due to the weight and it being transferred directly to the torso and more velocity than the same round from a handgun.

I am tempted to buy one of these Hi-Point carbines. People look down their noses at them but I haven’t heard too many people that own them say anything negative about their reliability. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am tempted to buy one of these Hi-Point carbines. People look down their noses at them but I haven’t heard too many people that own them say anything negative about their reliability. 

They are ugly and clunky but they handle well.  I was amazed at how well they point when I first handled one. 

If they give decent accuracy out to 50 yards or so, it could make a great fun gun or even an introductory to centerfire gun for kids.  A 9mm or .45 out of a 16 inch barrel isn't something to ignore as a home defense option if it's reliable, too.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Before you do, look at the Ruger PC9. Not terribly expensive, and you can put in an adapter to use Glock magazines.

4 hours ago, DocWard said:

Before you do, look at the Ruger PC9. Not terribly expensive, and you can put in an adapter to use Glock magazines.

I still miss the Marlin Camp 45C (C for Colt since it worked with 1911 mags- they made one that took Smith and Wesson .45 mags as well) that was stolen from me in '98.  That was a fun little carbine and a great house gun with Chip McCormick 10 rounders in it.  It even fed the old 230gr Eldorado Starfires and Federal Hydroshoks reliably.  The only thing it didn't like was my 200gr swc reloads.

7 hours ago, DocWard said:

I actually have one. It has become my favorite long gun.
I was thinking of the Hi-Point as a truck gun. 

3 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I still miss the Marlin Camp 45C (C for Colt since it worked with 1911 mags- they made one that took Smith and Wesson .45 mags as well) that was stolen from me in '98.  That was a fun little carbine and a great house gun with Chip McCormick 10 rounders in it.  It even fed the old 230gr Eldorado Starfires and Federal Hydroshoks reliably.  The only thing it didn't like was my 200gr swc reloads.

My brother has one. It was stolen and actually, recently against the odds, was returned. I don't recall if it takes Colt or S&W mags. I do recall that he loved it, and was excited to get it back. Haven't been out shooting with it yet.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I actually have one. It has become my favorite long gun.
I was thinking of the Hi-Point as a truck gun. 

I will say it is my auto-loading long gun. I think I still have to give the edge to my old lever action .22WMR for favorite, but it is a close second!

A Hi-Point would be one I wouldn't worry about so much in my truck, either.

Archived