SASS Wire Forum

Funny Match Stories

Dude Slade

I thought it might be fun to start a thread with funny stories from matches... I have one from this past weekend to share.

Stage 5, shoot 6 plates on the plate rack, dump remaining on R2. Use shotgun to clear any remaining plates as needed, then knock down 4 SG targets. Then shoot P1 and P2 however you'd like with the pistols as long as each target is hit at least once.

Cowboy shooting before me shoots the stage, and he's really fast, but he misses some plates, and ends up having to use the shotgun to finish them off, which he is obviously quite unhappy about.

Stage 6 involves shooting S1 and S2 with the shotgun, then shooting P1 and P2 alternating single taps on each target, then shoot R1 and R2 same as pistol, then shoot S3 and S4 with the shotgun. As we're loading up at the LT, cowboy ahead of me says, "I'm just not sure if I want to shoot this stage normally, or shoot the plate rack again." I kinda chuckle, and move on. Well, he says the line and fumbles with the shotgun on the first 2 targets, makes a joke, shoots his pistols, then proceeds to mow down the plate rack like a champ and dump his remaining rounds on R2, and finish with the shotgun on the last 2 knockdowns. He stops shooting, and we're all just laughing hysterically as he picks up his guns to go to unload. The TO turns around to call me up to stage, and is still giggling, as am I, and he looks at me and says, "I would NOT want to be the guy who had to shoot right after that!", I laugh and say, "RIGHT??? How the heck am I supposed to get that out of my head?!?!?! This is messed up!" I had to stage my guns and literally talk to myself to make sure I did it right LOL!

He ended up getting like 8 misses and a P on the stage... but hey, he showed that plate rack who was boss! LOL!

A moment I won't likely forget any time soon. Things like this are why I love this sport and am SO glad I finally took the steps to get into it!

I know y'all have more... let's hear them! :lol:

One of my personal favorites is really not mine to tell, but comes from a fella at VA State.  He said he busted his way out of the outhouse loaded for bear & there wasn't a target in sight.  His buds removed them all before the beep.

A dear friend asked me to bring my .32 H&R Single Six and use his new unfired Baby Vaq for my pistolas.
Sure thing, just received 500 new unprimed Starline brass, loaded up a batch and stepped up to the line.

Fired my tried and true, smooth as silk Single Six, five rounds down range, holster and pull his Baby Vaq, first shot goes straight and true ...

... uh oh ...

... the revolver jammed, won't cycle ...

Handed the malfunctioning machine to the RO, finished the stage with my shotgun (I'm an old cop, I like my shotgun!) -- 'twas the only thick rim case to escape quality control in better than a hundred thousand rounds, and I had to get it ... at a match ...

I AM RUNNING THE TIMER ON A 10-10-4 STAGE.  SEQUENCE IS R-P-P-S.  SHOOTER STEPS TO THE LINE, HITS ALL RIFLE TGTS, PICKS UP SHOTGUN, KNOCKS DOWN ALL FOUR TGTS.  TURNS TO ME AND I SHOW HIM  A 17 SECOND STAGE TIME.  HE GETS  HALFWAY TO THE UNLOADING TABLE AND A SPOTTER STEPS UP TO ME AND ASKS "DID HE SHOOT HIS PISTOLS?"  TO WHICH I REPLIED "NO".  i DON'T KNOW WHO WAS MORE SURPRISED, ME OR THE SHOOTER.

Similar to Arkansas Harper's post.

Shooting my Spencer at a match: I was striving to finish a stage in less than a minute. At the fifth or sixth stage, I accomplished the feat! Now, mind you, as this was an ongoing quest during the match, a lot of pards were watching to see if I could do it. When I got to the unloading table, I regrettably found TWO loaded revolvers! As the revolvers were last, I completely forgot about them in the heat of the moment. But in addition to my forgetfulness, the spotters and TO also failed to notice that I had not shot them and called the stage clean! Only one person in the posse noticed and I heard him comment as I was unloading. :blink:

At The Ides Of March, a large annual match in Florida, there was a well known National Champion (who will go unnamed) that forgot to load his pistols and rifle for the stage. Shotgun was first on the stage which, of course, was bad for him. Got to his rifle...lever, click, recock, click...lever again, click...oops. He then reached around back, grabbed his pouch of ammo, loaded his rifle and shot it and put the rifle down. He grabbed his pouch and went to the pistol area, loaded his pistols and shot them. Don't remember what the time was but he was clean. There's video of this somewhere because it was on the SASS Wire last year.

Well, I thought it was funny:

Side match a long time ago.  Team event, I don't recall the entire scenario, but my part of it was to shoot a (6)plate rack (10 shots/2 pistols) then dump remaining rounds on a dump plate.

I was shooting my regular Vaqueros in .45 LONG COLT :P loaded with 255 grain bullets. 

Went kinda like this - BOOM [1 down] - BOOM [2 down] - BOOM [3 down & back up] - BOOM [3 back down] - BOOM [4 down & back up] - BOOM [4 down & back up] - BOOM [4 back down] - BOOM [5 down] - BOOM [6 down] - BOOM [Dump target]

9 shots to keep 6 plates knocked down with no misses.  I couldn't get the smile off my face for two days.  We didn't win the side match, but I had a heck of a good time shooting it.  I haven't had a plate pop back up like that since then, but I keep hoping.

Angus

Angus, it sounds like you need to leave the Elmer Keith loads at home! LOL! :P

The scenario was at the doorway to a brothel.  Hands on door frame, start up line was, "How are you supposed to get any sleep in here?"  The old shooter without his hearing aids stated, "How you supposed to get any sheep in here?"  Chaos followed!

At a state championship match 2-3 years ago, 5th stage of day 2, stage is 10-10-4+. Stage had movement from one part of the firing line to another with each gun switch. I'm spotting. Very good shooter comes up, timer goes off, shoots pistols -clean, transitions to rifle shoots rifle - clean, and while transitioning to shotgun, stops and says "that's four misses". I look at other 2 spotters, who look as confused as I assume I'm looking. And then, shooter turns and we can see he has zero shotgun shells in his belt. He was chuckling like he'd won the entire match.

There's two kinds of CAS shooters, those that have already forgotten their shotshell belt on the cart and those that haven't done it yet.:D

I put mine on when I put on my gun belts and KEEP it on.  I also put 4 spare shells in a lower vest pocket in case I get a brain phart and take it off during the match.

Had a shotgun heavy shotgun stage- 1 pistol and shotgun only- years ago.  We moved a picnic table to the firing line and you sat on the bench with your back to the table top to shoot the stage like you were riding shotgun on a stage.  One of the better shooters in the area was having some work done on his main match shotgun and had brought a spare that he'd never shot in a match.

Too bad that he couldn't hit anything with the back up gun. 

At all.

He ran through his entire shell belt and the TO, who was laughing so hard that he could barely hold the timer close enough, ended up handing him shells- one at a time- as he made the suggestion, 'Have you thought about aiming?' each time.  By that time, shooting the entire stage was a matter of pride and he, eventually, finished it.

Then, there was the new guy that showed up and blazed through his first stage.  If it had been filmed, it would have been impressive- as long as the sound was off. 

When he was done, the spotters (I was one of them) had to get together to confer- because it was easier to count hits than misses and we all had lost count of the misses someplace during the rifle or second pistol!  We gave him benefit of the doubt and gave him credit for 6 hits on a 10-10-6 stage.

:blush::blush::blush:

These are both on me.

When I first started, I hadn't shot much. Hubby, would shoot just before me. He wasn't at the LT; but, his guns were. One day, I picked up his . 45 revolvers and attempted to load my .38s in them. Then, I yelled, "Jess the bullets just fall out of my gun." :wacko:

The other time, when I was shooting Plainsman. We shot our rifle uprange; then ran downrange to shoot my revolvers. Low and behold, they weren't in my holsters. So, I ran back uprange, picked them up off the LT, and ran back downrange to shoot. Wouldn't ya know someone was filming. I waved to him as I ran by. Hey! I didn't come in last.

:blush::blush::blush:

These may only be funny  to me. Actually, I loved it.

1. I was grouped with two very good shooters (husband and wife) on a team shoot. I was supposed to have five pistol shots to get some low-to-the-ground, heavy KDs. The wife assumed I wasn't going to get them down. She told me "just shoot as fast as you can, Mike (her husband) will make them up."

I shot as fast as I could and got all five down. LOLOLOL!

2. Another time, I was possed with them and a bunch of other good shooters. We had a tiny orange dot to shoot with our last shot. Those who hit it had a chance to win a turkey. Hee, hee, I was the only one on our posse who hit it. I was so thrilled that I told some people about it. One of the posse overheard me, came over,  and told me it is considered bad form to gloat. I almost cried. It sure rained on my parade.

3. I hate it when another posse watches me shoot. I always have. There was a backlog ahead of us and most of them were watching us. When I got to the rifle, I shot faster than I ever did before. That posse applauded.

Alas those days are long gone. They happened over 15 years ago. Now, I'm lucky if I'm not last.

At one match a cowboy went to what he thought was his cart and picked up what he thought was his 20ga double gun. Starts the stage and comes to the shotgun. Picks it up and loads 2-20ga shells. Closes it, pulls the trigger and nothing happens. Throws 2 more shells in and tries it again. Still nothing. Pulls out 2 more shells  but before he loads them he looks at the chambers of the 12ga shotgun he's holding and says "my gun got bigger".

Three, from a family road trip to the Mississippi Fandango in 2005.

I was using my backup Husqvarna 16. I let my daughter use my favorite Husqvarna 16, because she's my favorite daughter (she's my only daughter). And her husband was using my Husqvarna 12.

She and I were using brass shells. I don't know if it was the vibration from the 1200 miles of driving between Florida and Wisconsin, or whether it was the temperature change - it's cold in Wisconsin in October and the brass shells may have expanded and contracted. But whatever the reason, the glue holding the overshot card in place let go in many of them. BAMM, BAMM, pop (and you can see the shot flying through the air).

1 I am using my Uberti Russian, reloading on the clock. Have 24 Russians in the loops on my belt. And I'm using my Spencer - also 44 Russian. Reloading on the clock and a Spencer - style points out the wazoo. Finish the pistol no problem. 3 shots into the rifle and it jams. I pulled a follower, have the muscle with MUZZLE UP about 40 degrees above the horizon, and slapped the stock. Five shells fell out on the floor. I dropped eight in it, pushed in the follower, and started again. 3 shots and the rifle jams. Dumped the magazine again, thought a moment, then only loaded three. Fire those three, then did a Barney reload for the last one. I shot clean, but it was more than 5 minutes.

2 My daughter had a six round shotgun slide. And I told her, just for the heck of it, to stick two shells in each vest-pocket.

581954210_Husky16Fandango20051.jpg.00fcf1377912e4e1b1502f7ed487b45b.jpg

4 shotgun knock downs. BAMM, first one goes down. pop, pellets bounce off #2. BAMM, now #2 goes down. Then pop, pop, BAMM, pop, pop. Cassidy, who was timing her pulls a shell out of his belt and gave it to her. That 12-gauge shell would not go in that 16 gauge chamber.

3 Having witnessed the problem she was having, I decided to use the 12 gauge. I had brought five boxes of shells. Factory shells. The match was only supposed to require 50 shot shells, so there were plenty of extras. I pick up the 12, drop a handful of shells in my vest-pocket, and go to shoot. Neglected to mention this to my son-in-law. He was three behind me. Plenty of time for me to finish and put the gun back. Nope. Fortunately for him that stage started with the shotgun. BEEP!, and there he is trying to stuff the 12 gauge shells from his belt into the chamber of the 16 gauge shotgun that he had taken out of the cart. Since he could not give them in, he had not fired any shots, so he got a restart, with the correct gun.

That was a fun trip.

20 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

How many times have we seen someone pull a pistol and start clicking away because they forgot to load them?

Haven't done that, I did forget to load my rifle once. Fortunately my pistol belt was fulla ammo, so I started plucking shells from my belt. I'm slow on a good day, but that didn't help matters any. Was going back to my cart and my posse was hooting at me. I carry a .45/70 in the middle of the pistol belt a la John Wayne, and they were some disappointed. They wanted to watch me try to load that big shell in my '73! :P

JHC

On 3/5/2020 at 11:50 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Now, I'm lucky if I'm not last.

My dear friend Eagle Eye claimed that position for herself and got upset if she didn't get it.

we used to have 2 older fellas who often competed with each other for last place; one of them always prevailed.

..... only way the other fella succeeded was when he spelled his alias wrong on his nomination.

:ph34r:

The first time I attempted to shoot my 1851 Navy revolvers at a match something funny happened, I loaded the cylinders on the first pistol, powder then shove the ball down in, cool, this is easy I thought. I went to holster the pistol and 3 balls drooped out on the ground. A pard of mine was next to me, Marcus Allen, who shot nothing but cap and ball looked at the ground and said very dry like, "I think you need bigger balls":lol:

I had .360's instead of .375's!!!! Luckily someone else had enough balls for me to finish the match!;)

Archived