SASS Wire Forum

Marlin question

Stony Lane

Does anyone know if the current Marlin model 1894C (.357, 18.5 inch barrel and stated tube capacity 9) can be easily modified to hold 10-,357s in the magazine tube? They don't list a 20 inch barrel and I don't want a 22.

Thanks for the help.

Howdy

I don't know about current production, but I can tell you when I bought my Marlin CS, with its 18.5" barrel, it would hold 10 rounds of 38 Special in the magazine, but only 9 rounds of 357 Magnum. However it was very simple for a local smith to cut down the magazine follower a little bit so it would hold 10 rounds of 357 Mag in the magazine. While he was at it he clipped the magazine spring a little bit too.

I doubt if current production is much different.

That is my Marlin CS at the bottom of this photo, an antique Model 1894 is at the top of the photo.

plfjstfCj

Good information. Thanks

I worked over a new 94CS for a friend about a year ago.  As I recall, all that had to be done was to trim the magazine spring so it is 2" or so longer than the tube.  He has never had any issues loading 10 rounds of 38 @ 1.525" OAL.

Holler

not sure on the 357 as i've never tried but the wifes new marlin holds 10 38's with not trouble at all without trimming the spring or follower so i'd imagine with a little work it'd hold 10 357 just fine. 

Like I said, my smith trimmed the spring a bit AND trimmed the follower a bit to get 10 357 Mag rounds into the magazine. He did not trim the spring so much that the last round would not feed.

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Totally idle question: why a preference for .357?

I can't answer directly for Stony's question, but for some:

1.  some folks have lots of .357 brass and very little .38 brass

2.  some Marlins work better with .357 length ammo, especially some of the factory stock, unmodified,

1894's.

3. some of the rifles are also used as a hunting firearm and the reloader prefers to load only

one type ammo and not have to adjust loading dies..... although setting dies for .38 and using

the "ring" for .357 is an option.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Totally idle question: why a preference for .357?

What Widder said. When I started I had thousands of .357 so I shoot that in my pistols and I also had lots of 44 mag and a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag so I shoot it. I have added much more brass in these calibers and my son now shoots so while looking at another rifle I thought I might try a .357. Both are loaded to 38 and 44 special power loads but in the long case and I have had no trouble.

Archived