SASS Wire Forum

Things People Toss On The Side Of The Freeway

Subdeacon Joe

Weird find of the month! One of our officers located 75 pounds of mixed pistol ammunition dumped in the grass along the freeway on-ramp edge. You just never know what you might step in on the freeway shoulders. Watch your step and be safe out there.

BakersfieldNow KGET - TV 17 Bakersfield 23ABC Bakersfield Guns & Ammo Magazine Kern County Sheriff's Office Caltrans HQ

Image may contain: plant and outdoor

Image may contain: sky, car, mountain, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: plant, tree, grass, outdoor and nature

No photo description available.

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: plant and outdoor

Back in 92 we lived in Virginia. One of the kids came home and said that they and the neighbor girl had found a box of bullets in the ditch. I asked what she did with them. The neighbor girl took him to her house. So we went visiting.

The neighbor girl's parents were puzzled. They had no idea what to do with these things. I suggested they give them to me.

"You want them? Here."

Box of Remington 45 ball. Three shells missing.

Had a UPS truck crash in my jurisdiction once.  In the truck was a metal part that weighed 2100 pounds, and was valued at $250,000.  They paid one of my officers to stay at the scene for 24 hours to make sure it was safe.  There was also two cases of 9mm and a case of 223 that was being shipped to a local police department.  That ammo was spread out over a hundred foot circle.  Two UPS employees with metal detectors spent an entire day, and finally accounted for all but 12 rounds of 9mm and 3 rounds of 223.  They declared a case of paperback books and a pallet full of 1/4" bolts (headed to a furniture factory) as a loss and allowed the local first responders to take what they wanted.  I've still got a bucket of 1/4 " bolts that have a torx head on them.  

More than likely someone didn't know what the laws were regarding ammo so they just dumped it along the road thinking no one would ever find it. They were wrong.

I actually watched 2 guys come into an LGS near me because one guy wanted to give the other guy a box of  45 ACP. They filled out a transfer slip and the LGS ran their info on the DOJ website to see if the receiver could take possession of the ammo. The LGS charged them a couple of dollars and out the door they went.

Well, in England if they find a fired .22LR case on the sidewalk the police are called and the news media reports it, so nothing would surprise me anymore.

Knowing my luck, if I found a bunch of ammo like that on the road it would probably all be 8mm Nambu or some other caliber I don't have a gun for. <_<

Archived