SASS Wire Forum

Thoughts On Coffee

Subdeacon Joe

I got home from church and running some errands.  Wife had coffee ready.

I was pouring my 2nd cup and said, "Good coffee!"  the following is, as best as I can recall, the conversation, her words in italic:
(wife) "All it is is the full amount of water and two scoops of coffee (note: Safeway Signature Select Sumatra), not heaping, not scant."
(me) "Still good coffee."

"I think you think it is so good because you didn't have to make it."
"Could be.  I take it you think that I make a better pot of coffee than you do."
"Yep."

(we both laugh)
"Does that mean that the taste of  coffee is inversely proportional to the amount of effort you put into making it?  Restaurant coffee excluded."
"Could be."
pause
"The taste of coffee is proportional to the amount of love that goes into making it!"
(30 seconds of silence)

"GAWD! That's saccarine!"
(we both laugh)
"I could hear you winge at that!"

20 minutes later she is STILL making comments related to the "amount of love" comment!

6 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Two scoops. Small pot?  Or Texas coffee (weak)

We use a 1/3 cup measuring cup for our coffee scoop, that to the 10 cup mark on the coffee pot.

I do occasionally wonder about the people that come up with instructions on how to do something.

If you go look on the web you will find that you are supposed to use 10 grams (0.36 ounces or two tablespoons) of ground coffee for each 6 oz cup of water.

A standard coffee scoop holds two tablespoons (supposedly).

So when making a standard 10 cup Mr Coffee pot of coffee, you are supposed to put 10 coffee scoops of ground coffee in the basket.

There is not room to put 10 coffee scoops of ground coffee in the basket. I just went and experimented. Approximately 6 1/2 scoops would fit.

27 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

We use a 1/3 cup measuring cup for our coffee scoop, that to the 10 cup mark on the coffee pot.

Ah normal amount of coffee. The common coffee scoop is 2TBS or 1/8 cup. 5 to 5½ scoops per pot is 10-11 TBS.  a cup is 16 Tbs, two of your scoops would be 10⅔ TBS.

1 minute ago, Alpo said:

I do occasionally wonder about the people that come up with instructions on how to do something.

If you go look on the web you will find that you are supposed to use 10 grams (0.36 ounces or two tablespoons) of ground coffee for each 6 oz cup of water.

A standard coffee scoop holds two tablespoons (supposedly).

So when making a standard 10 cup Mr Coffee pot of coffee, you are supposed to put 10 coffee scoops of ground coffee in the basket.

There is not room to put 10 coffee scoops of ground coffee in the basket. I just went and experimented. Approximately 6 1/2 scoops would fit.

A couple of years ago I posted a stew recipe on FB with the comment "Why do people who write recipes not know two inches from two miles?"  Recipe called for, if I recall, 1 1/2 pounds of beef "cut into two inch cubes." That for a recipe that supposedly makes 4 - 6 servings.  And, I have NEVER seen a stew with meat cut into chunks that big.  Or "roll it out to 1/4 inch" when what they mean is "roll out to 1/8 inch (or 1 inch depending of if it's pic crust or biscuits).  

For the coffee I usually just use the Mk. 1 Eyeball and pour it in until it looks like enough.

3 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Ah normal amount of coffee. The common coffee scoop is 2TBS or 1/8 cup. 5 to 5½ scoops per pot is 10-11 TBS.  a cup is 16 Tbs, two of your scoops would be 10⅔ TBS.

Yep.  Rather than using the tiny scoops we figured that since it takes about 2/3 of a cup of grounds, why not just use a 1/3 cup measure?  Close enough anyway. Coffee is pretty forgiving with measurements.  

1 minute ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Or I would have calibrated the Mark 2A1 handful.

I only measure that way when using a French Press while camping.  One simply MUST maintain one's standards!

When I was a young man out of high school and got a full time job working 2nd shift i would get out of bed about 3pm.  I would drink a cup of coffee when I got up.  My mother had made that coffee that morning in an electric peculator pot.  It was plugged in all day long waiting for me to get up.  To this day I can drink any coffee made.

As a kid before I drank coffee, in all those Louis L'Amour westerns I read the characters insisted that coffee be strong enough to float a horseshoe.

While the coffee I make at the campsite comes close I still have not been able to float a horseshoe.

37 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

As a kid before I drank coffee, in all those Louis L'Amour westerns I read the characters insisted that coffee be strong enough to float a horseshoe.

While the coffee I make at the campsite comes close I still have not been able to float a horseshoe.

Naw... 'twas my mule. But i can see his consternation with that.

:D

I use one heaping scoop for every 2 cups. I buy the good stuff no Maxwells or Folgers!

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

My Grandpa made camp coffee one fishing trip that I believe would have floated a horseshoe.

Never got to find out though; it ate its way through the bottom of the pot. :P

Must be more coffee than we realize will float a mule shoe.
Given this four point floatation, no mules to my knowledge have drowned in coffee.
A Naval Chief once remarked -- as we thawed out with big mugs of steaming coffee in our frozen fingers -- "The Navy runs on coffee, and so do I!"
My wife was gifted with a bag of roasted beans: we found 1/8 cup, ground, dumped in the basket, with a good double shake of cinnamon on top, makes quite good tasting coffee, or so she says.
After a quarter of a century of putting my life under the lights and siren, after overlapping that with a nursing career, I'm like Cheatin Charlie and his ability to drink any of the stuff, and for the same reason.
My grandmother, rest her soul, used coffee to strip varnish off rocking chairs for refinishing ... and some of the swill foisted upon us at station or in hospital was fit for just that, and little else!

(This is why Old Pale Eyes can't make coffee to save his sorry backside!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there Alpo, Thanks for remember'n ol Chip. Been a spell since I visited. Still make coffee jerky on occasion. Last pot's been on the fire for neigh on four years..... hehe... almost done. Take care Amigo. Miss the old Saloonatics.

Archived