SASS Wire Forum

Loading 38-55

Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409

Do  chamber cast of your rifle and measure it.

Chamber cast is the only way to know.

Slug the barrel as the bore diameter varies widely even those made by the same manufacturer.

If you have an overly large bore you may have to use Starline brass. It has a thinner wall at the neck to accommodate the larger bullets needed for some barrels. 

Some good reading  Loading with Correct 38-55 Winchester Cases | 38-55 Rifle

my forst 38-55 is a Uberti HiWall.  I went with the long brass.  Then I got a Win 94, I found that while the long brass would work in it, the short barss was a little better.  So now I have to keep muy 38-55 brass segregated! but its a great caliber.  The HiWall is an absolute tack driver. I use 10.0 Unique and a 310 grn bullet.  In the Win 94 I use a 255 grn bullet and 9.6 Unique

We went with the short brass so it would fit all our rifles. Unique is an awesome powder for this caliber. I also use 3031 to up the velocity some for hunting.

Knowing your bore diameter is critical to knowing which bullet to get. I cast using the Lee  mold and they drop at .379 which is great for our Winchesters and H&R Buffalo rifles. Also, we use Starline brass, short length.

Never measured the chambers but complete accuracy in a Uberti HiWall and the old Ballard and Wurfflen with 3.125 brass. Bullet diameters in each are the key. The HiWall and Ballard will reload a lead bullet up to 383 but the Wurfflein only a 379

Archived