SASS Wire Forum

A Strapping Question

Calamity Kris

Courtesy of the ramp workers on our latest flights, I get to replace one of my pieces of luggage.  I won't get into details.  Let is suffice to say a CHEAP suitcase in the hands of a careless ramp worker leads to issues. 

I have done some research on the web regarding replacement luggage and have found a highly rated piece at a somewhat reasonable :wacko: price.  I am also looking at sewing some simple 2 inch wide cinch straps , using a metal ring with heavy duty strapping material and heave duty hook and loop on one end to hold them together, about a foot of hook and loop.  My thought being the length of hook and loop will make it a bit more difficult to snag the end and simply pop it open.  The buckle on the first luggage strap I purchased shattered on the first use and caused the strap to get caught in the luggage carousel at the airport, creating some unhappy campers there.  Now I'm looking to do something a little different. 

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

CK

P.S. I've been searching the web for the last couple of hours and have not found anything heavy enough for what I would like to do. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I use a Pelican suitcase. Bombproof. 

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/discover/air-cases/travel-case/

I've had the baggage gorillas break a pelican case too.  Nothing is completely safe from them.  What I don't get is why do no luggage makers make luggage with detachable wheels?  75% of the luggage breakages I've seen have been broken wheels.  If we could take them off or hide them, it would happen a lot less. 

I found a suitcase review once that talked about one with detachable wheels, but when I went to the website, they didn't seem to make them anymore. 

41 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I've had the baggage gorillas break a pelican case too.  Nothing is completely safe from them.  What I don't get is why do no luggage makers make luggage with detachable wheels?  75% of the luggage breakages I've seen have been broken wheels.  If we could take them off or hide them, it would happen a lot less. 

I found a suitcase review once that talked about one with detachable wheels, but when I went to the website, they didn't seem to make them anymore. 

I bet the attachment bracket was breaking.

14 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I bet the attachment bracket was breaking.

Maybe.  But how if people are removing wheels?  My guess is that they want the suitcases to break so we will have to keep buying more.  The only thing that doesn't quite make sense is the companies that offer lifetime free replacement.  I have to assume they're banking on most people not bothering to take them up on it. 

16 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I use a Pelican suitcase. Bombproof. 

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/discover/air-cases/travel-case/

Thanks for the link.  I looked at the Pelican.  For the amount that I travel, I can't justify the cost.  My current bag was damaged beyond use, but it was still intact.   

3 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Thanks for the link.  I looked at the Pelican.  For the amount that I travel, I can't justify the cost.  My current bag was damaged beyond use, but it was still intact.   

Cry one time, buy 1 time.

Pelican has a lifetime warranty on breakage.

Look also at Americase. They do custom work if needed.

OLG 

I use armored SKB cases. Their designs have evolved, but the quality is still there.  I have a double rifle case and a double pistol case; $279 and $179 respectively, but about 10 years ago.  They look as good today as the day I bought them.  The rifle case is wheeled; easy to move around the airport or through a parking lot.  They also make a golf bag case, if urban camo is important to you.  Waterproof.  Lifetime warranty.  Airline approved.  The pic below was for insurance records - several handguns and accessories inside the rifle case.

LL

056.jpg

I traveled full time for years.  Early on, I bought a Tumi zippered computer backpack type bag with a shoulder strap and a Tumi soft, zippered suitcase with wheels and pop-up handle.  I traveled by air over a million air miles, in the US, Europe and Asia.  I still have those Tumi bags.  Nothing ever broke, frayed, or ripped, including the zippers, wheels, plastic buckles, zipper pulls, etc.  I still have them and still use them when I travel.

When I bought those bags, they weren’t cheap....probably are still not...cheap

So, that’s my experience with Tumi.

Cat Brules

Howdy,

My friends over at Red Oxx seem to make some good bags.

But I haven't flown in a while and don't really want to.

they have lifetime warranty...

Could be worth a look.

Best

CR

Archived