SASS Wire Forum

Ending a phone conversation

For those loved ones, significant others, or close to you (be it a sister, brother, mother, father, etc.) that you talk to on the phone more on a daily basis than occasionally (although it still applies), curiosity got the best of me when signing off, or otherwise ending the call, as to the expression you use to do so.

For example, do you say "Goodbye", "Talk to you later", "Love you" (where appropriate), or just hang up.

The reason I raise this is based on the premise that, GOD forbid, that's the last time you get to talk to them!

"Goodbye"  is so foreboding, as if you will never talk to them again.

"Talk to you later" seems informal.

Just pondering. 

Family or friend, if THEY say:   "I gotta go", I say 'BYE' and hang up.   Rarely any other word, other than 'BYE'.

If I tell them that "I gotta go", all I want them to say is .....  "Bye".

I can carry on a good conversation over the phone, but when its time to hang up, its "BYE" and click.

..........Widder

Interesting subject.

My father never said "goodbye". He said bye bye, so long, see you later, all kinds of stuff like that, but not "goodbye".

I asked him about that, when it finally dawned on me in my high school years that he didn't use that word.

He said the only time that he ever heard his father say goodbye was December 2nd 1932. They were taking him to the hospital (pneumonia) and he told Grandma goodbye.

On December 7th he died.

As to your question - I usually say bye-bye. Unless it's my daughter. It's normally night time when I'm talking to her, so I say goodnight. And I always tell her I love her.

For family, close friends, we usually say "Love You", because it might be the last time we communicate with them, as Uno recently found out.  For other people we aren't as friendly with, I say "Take good care".  That to me shows some concern for the other person's well being without being too personal.

I say “talk to you” or “see you...later”. If it’s my sister or daughter I include “I love you.” If it’s a friend I say “later”.

I rarely ever say “goodbye”. Goodbye is kind of final. I will say “goodbye” to people I hope not to see again or people I know I won’t be seeing again, like solicitors at my door. 

I guess I am kind of like Alpo’s Dad in regards to using “goodbye”. My grandmother used to say that “Goodbye might be forever.”

She did say  “goodbye” to me on what became her deathbed when I was 14. She knew she was going to die. I prayed she wouldn’t, but she did. I don’t care much for “goodbye”.

As some have mentioned, it seems the 'in-person' farewells are different than ending a phone

conver.

In person, I'll say a wide variety of things.

Leaving a friends house, I might normally say ... 'see ya later' or 'Come see Me'.

If the friend leaves my house, I would normally say..... ' Hurry back' or 'See ya later'.

If a visitor leaves my house, I might normally say.....' have a good day'.

The frequency (many times or seldom) also dictate either a handshake or hug.

And I got a couple good male and female friends that a kiss on the cheek

would be appropriate because our age, health and Infrequency of seeing each other

has the odds we may never cross paths again.

These are the friends you trust in a fox hole..... ;)

..........Widder

Now if it's a telemarketer I've got a completely different ending but I can't say it here!:lol: 

If I'm talking to my wife it's , "Love you, bye-bye."  If it's my brothers I usually just say "Bye, take care."
At work it's "Thanks, bye."

When I email or text my wife I always close with "Love you." because as Kris pointed out, you never know when the last time you say that will be, and I want her to remember that the last thing I said to her was that I love her.  As I'm walking out the door to go to work, if she is up I say "See you this evening, love you, by-bye."

6 hours ago, Laramie said:

In our family and close circle, hanging up without an " I love you " is a guaranteed immediate callback! Lol

That's how my dad trained me when I went away to college.  Back then it cost money to make the long distance call so I also got chewed out for making him waste money.  And I'm glad he did.  Because of that training, the last thing I said to him about 4 short years later was "I love you". 

I saw this on the interwebs and thought it was relevant the original question. 

77cqg2OBUqgbTs3b2udcPWmy2diR40PmnJZIkU80

22 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Have a good one!

Lord how I hate that phrase.  Sometimes I reply, "I've already got a good one but I'm not going to show it to you."

Gets a lot of confused looks ans some scowls and IDGAD.

This is why I try to never go to bed pissed off at anyone that I care about. You never know when it will be the last time you EVER talk with them. Same thing goes with a phone call.

Been there, did that and still regret it many years later.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Lord how I hate that phrase.  Sometimes I reply, "I've already got a good one but I'm not going to show it to you."

Gets a lot of confused looks ans some scowls and IDGAD.

Hey man...Have a good one!:P:lol:

Archived