SASS Wire Forum

1873 new owner - question

heckofagator

it will stay down a hair, you have to pull and hold it up against the lower tang to engage the trigger safety. It's designed that way to help prevent an out of battery discharge. It took me a minute to get used to it after only shooting my henry golden boy  and '66 yellow boy as they dont have that feature. 

If its a new gun, it’s probably pretty stiff and the springs are full power. A gunsmith can smooth out the parts and lighten the springs a little to make the gun more user friendly. Shoot it a little and try to find someone who has a gun like yours that’s been to a good smith and feel the action on it. The difference should be obvious. 

Shoot your guns awhile first, get use to them, and then decide if you want to have them modified. Me I like my stock Uberti pistols and rifles just fine with the standard hardware. After 8 years I had a short stroke kit installed in one of my Uberti 73's rifles last winter. Quite frankly I didn't see a whole lot of difference between it and my other stock one as far as my speed goes. Maybe the younger faster shooters do, but I don't.

yes, brand new.  the action is definitely stiff, surprisingly so.   I had hoped to be able to go out and try it this weekend but I'm not sure my bullets are going to be here.....Die set is set to arrive tonight.  Also going to watch some videos and make sure I know how to lube it up.

19 minutes ago, heckofagator said:

yes, brand new.  the action is definitely stiff, surprisingly so.   I had hoped to be able to go out and try it this weekend but I'm not sure my bullets are going to be here.....Die set is set to arrive tonight.  Also going to watch some videos and make sure I know how to lube it up.

Be aware that some of the '73s have very tight screws from the factory. It will pay to have a GOOD set of hollow ground well fitting screwdrivers/bits to dissemble for cleaning/inspection.

7 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Be aware that some of the '73s have very tight screws from the factory. It will pay to have a GOOD set of hollow ground well fitting screwdrivers/bits to dissemble for cleaning/inspection.

“GUNSMITH” screwdrivers (as gun folks call them).

Hopefully, you have a Brownell’s catalog to see what we’re talking about.  Get a good set of these gunsmith screwdrivers, or you will destroy the screw-head slots in your guns by wallowing out the slots in new guns with tight screws.

PLUS, if you use a regular old screwdriver, that screwdriver will slide out of the slot and “skitter” and dance over the finish of your gun, inflicting scratches that are permanent....there for good!!  Don’t let this happen to you!  If the screw is super tight, put your correct screwdriver in the slot and tap it with a small brass hammer.  You can’t fix the scratches AND you likely will play hell finding replacement screws for those with destroyed slots.  Also, once the screw slots are damaged, the screwdriver likely won’t get a good bite on the screw and will slide out and scratch up the gun even more!

BE CAREFUL

Bite the bullet and buy the BROWNELL’s SUPER SET of gunsmith screwdrivers.  If a bit gets worn, they usually send you another bit at no charge.  Get the catalog.  There is, besides just lists and specific stuff for sale, a LOT of useful data and other information.

WATCH this YouTube video.....and check below it for other, similar videos:

1 hour ago, Yusta B. said:

I suggest getting a set of hardened screws from VTI and replacing the originals. 

One thing to be aware of, if you get to the point of trying to adjust the lever "slack":   

The lever spring (and also lifter spring) adjustment screws on original Uberti 73s are tightened beyond ridiculous.  Their resident gorilla torques them down to near the point of breakage.   If you try to back them out under spring tension, you are very likely to strip the brand new screw slots, even with a proper screwdriver.  To turn the screws, you need to open the side plates and GENTLY pry the lever and lifter springs off of their articulation surfaces to relieve the spring tension.  Lift the springs first, then gently pry them out laterally.  (Do not just slide them off and broom/round-off the articulations.)  Once the spring tension is relieved, the adjustment screws can be turned much more easily.  Be sure to replace the springs all the way back on their surfaces, or the side plates will not reinstall. 

Beware. 

When you remove the side plate screw, both side plates are free to fall off, and the L&R knuckle joint connectors can also both fall out if you have the gun on its side.  Pay attention to the connectors'  orientation, or take a quick picture, if you are unfamiliar.  

Archived