SASS Wire Forum

Who owns Dremel?...and other tool companies

Pat Riot

Widder’s thread about Dremel Tools got me thinking about “Who owns Dremel?”. The reason I wondered was many companies these days don’t really go out of their way to help folks, but Dremel apparently saw a loyal customer in Widder and decided to go a bit above and beyond. I love my Dremel. I have had it for over 25 years. Great little machine. 

Dremel was purchased by Bosch in 1993, I believe. Never been a big Bosch fan, but maybe they are worth a look again. 

Anyway, I found this cool site that lays out what companies own power tool companies. Interesting. 

https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/power-tool-manufacturers-who-owns-them/43632/

Here is another site that has a bit more info. 

https://pressurewashr.com/tool-industry-behemoths/#whoowns

Interesting stuff, if you are curious about who makes your favorite power tools. 

I am still trying to find out if Carlyle Tools, sold by Napa, are made in the same factory as Snap-On Tools, as the guys at Napa like to claim. Anyone know if this is true?

57 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am still trying to find out if Carlyle Tools, sold by Napa, are made in the same factory as Snap-On Tools, as the guys at Napa like to claim. Anyone know if this is true?

Not unless Snap On and Blue Point are made in Taiwan.  Blue Point is the bargain version of Snap On...the same tools with a lesser finish.  All I can find on the net about Carlyle is that the majority of them are made in Taiwan...good tools, but not Snap On.

Indeed, Dremel has served me well.

I must admit that I can't get 25 years of service from their 'Dremel Drill'.

I get a few hundred hours of usage at about 15,000 rpm's.   Then I start to get fluctuations

in rpms and the on/off switch.

I've got 3 of them and I think I have returned each of them a couple times for service.

No problem.....they just upgrade them each time and ship me something new back

at no charge.

This time, the complete package with a couple kits inside with the upgraded 4300 series

has been my biggest surprise.

To answer your question about WHO owns Dremel............... Santa Clause!

..........Widder

I own Dremels... work fine and reliable.
Also bought MAC instead of SnapOn back in the day when I was still in the auto trade.
Still have all my old Craftsman, when they were still USA made.

Hecho in Chine is not for me, unless they are toss-outs.
Harbor Freight is good enough for a truck kit, but they rust.

Surprisingly... the Harbor Freight roll-aways are a LOT more sturdy construction than others.
Decent slide bearings, thick wall panels.  No complaints from me, at all.

Archived