SASS Wire Forum

Why the P-47 Was Such a Monster

Subdeacon Joe

https://lynceans.org/all-posts/the-complexity-of-a-ww-ii-p-47-thunderbolts-powerplant/?fbclid=IwAR0fAqJzJ6NEsLPqFzLNCsgvU8c2K4LrQT1uOMD9QFiivKhEulEwTRhKpjQ

These basic intake air and exhaust flow paths are shown in the following diagram. Source: National Museum of the USAF

P-47 powewrtrain_DSC_5382 crop

National Museum of WW II Aviation in Colorado Springs, CO,  complete P-47 powertrain shown in the following photo. The engine is at the extreme left, the turbocharger is at the extreme right, and the intercooler is at the point where the carburetor air duct (top) converges in a “V” with the main air duct (bottom). The darker exhaust tailpipes flank the main air duct along the bottom of the powerplant.

P-47 powertrain_DSC_7265-66 pano

From the back of the powerplant, the turbocharger dominates the view in the following photo. As shown by the arrows, intake air enters the compressor section of the turbocharger from the top (grey arrow) and exits via the volute (red arrow), headed for the intercooler. The darker exhaust tailpipe can be seen connecting to the turbine secion of the turbocharger (below the red arrow) and exhausting under the turbocharger (yellow arrow).

P-47 powertrain_DSC_7262

Dad flew one a little at the end of WWII !!  He told me that it was extremely fast and it had the glide ratio of a loaded refrigerator!!

Gimme some beer and popcorn and I could watch gun camera footage of Jugs shooting up German trains and airfields all day! :D

I used to have a friend, Jerry, who flew Jugs in WWII in the ETO. He told me about when he would get into a steep dive that the wings and them entire aircraft would start shaking violently. He said that it was the speed of sound being approached. He also told me that nearing the end of the war, the German pilots were so inexperienced that when they realized that you were diving on them that they dove also....most of the time you'd just fly them into the ground as they were too worried to get shot down. He did say that shooting up the columns of men and machines retreating was fun then but it caused nightmares later on in life. When he would come around to do it again, the dismembered bodies were plain to see....stuck with him after all those years.

RIP Jerry /Gerald Schmidt I miss you buddy.:FlagAm:

Archived