SASS Wire Forum

Henry Big Boy

Rye Miles #13621

This question came up about the Henry Big Boy for B-Western on the SASS FB page and I found this. Whatcha think?

B-Western/Lady B-Western Category B-Western shooting category carries rules and guidelines for both costuming/leather and firearm usage. Firearm Rules: - Any main match revolver may be used. - Revolvers may be shot in any SASS legal shooting style, at the shooters discretion. - Rifles: Any SASS legal rifle of 1880 or later design or a replica thereof (e.g., Burgess, Lightning Rifle, 1892, 1894 Winchester or Marlin). - Any SASS legal shotgun may be used. - Any SASS legal ammunition may be used.

OTHER APPROVED FIREARMS

The following additional firearms have been approved for use:

Henry Big Boy Rifle (not legal in Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Categories)

“B” WESTERN

Any main match revolver. Revolvers may be shot in any SASS–legal shooting style, at the shooters‘ discretion.

Rifles: Any SASS–legal rifle of 1880 or later design or a replica thereof (e.g., Burgess, Lightning Rifle, 1892, 1894 Winchester or Marlin).

It is LEGAL for BW

One guy was using one Monday night ,,, He had to tear it down twice ( lots of little parts ) and borrow a Marlin for 1 stage to make it through shooting 4 stages ....

But if I was Shooting BW I would encourage everyone else to use them .... <_<-_-..

Jabez Cowboy

Sounds like a problem with a specific, individual firearm, not all Big Boys.

Cat Brules

I use a Big Boy for my main match rifle and it has given me no problems. It is all I own right now and yes my rifle times are slooow. As I get my gun budget up to where I can buy another rifle, I will be buying a '73.

There is cowboy in our club that uses a Henry big boy and runs it pretty dang fast but I have noticed if he cants it just a little it will jam, we talked about it and after the match we went to another bay  to test it and sure enough the slightest cant would lock it up,   I think he is ready for a different rifle!  SCJ

On 2/28/2020 at 3:12 PM, Cat Brules said:

Sounds like a problem with a specific, individual firearm, not all Big Boys.

Cat Brules

Four years ago Big Boys made up less than 1% of the Rifles In use at major Matches in Canada's 3 western Provinces ( think States ) but they accounted for about 12% of the rifles that came to me needing fixing .... This before I started refusing to work on them ....

Just Saying ....

Jabez Cowboy

They really look spectacular hanging on the wall! I'd like to see everyone in Elder Statesman shoot them (except me). But, only because I already have invested in (4) 73's. Oh, wait! I just remembered I do have a Big Boy. I just forgot it was in the back of the safe. I found a nice, warm spot for it to rest after I attempted to shoot my first cowboy match with it 7 years ago.

Archived