SASS Wire Forum

Pre Shoot warm up

Ringer

I put lotion on my hands so my fingers grip my shot shells better. And I may dry fire a little if it has been a while since I have shot my pistols and rifle. 

Well Ringer, its a little different here in the north east.  Our posse heads over to work with our hot yoga instructor for 45 minutes then a quick cleanse at the juice bar.  

Ymmv

gringo 

12 minutes ago, El diablo gringo said:

Well Ringer, its a little different here in the north east.  Our posse heads over to work with our hot yoga instructor for 45 minutes then a quick cleanse at the juice bar.  

Ymmv

gringo 

Pictures or we don't believe you.

27 minutes ago, El diablo gringo said:

Ymmv

gringo 

That sounds more like the far left er I mean west and then south.:rolleyes:

I'll practice grabbing and loading shotgun shells a few times. (Dummy shells)  I also do the same drawing and holstering pistols.  I do this all at my truck in the parking lot. After that I try to clear my mind as much as possible.  Try to get mentally ready for a good performance. I think Smoooooooooooth............................and fast! 

Put on holsters. Drink another coffee. Take off holsters and hit the head. Go to load table. Remember holsters. Back to load table. Remember pistols.....

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Nothing physical. 

Before and after each stage I have a few routine things I do for mental prep.

This + the drive to the match has already set me on edge, so I ready for battle when I get there.

Help finish setting stage,carting clays for the pop up, setting up the 10x10 canopy, switch that plate out for a cowboy or buffalo, adjust that knock down....(Not to mention preparing the day prior, helping set up the whole shebang)

We have a couple "nothing physical" preparers'...some of those even go into "nothing physical" during the match-you'd think the brass picker might burn a hand or two off. 
Funny, seems that type is always about 1 spot above me at the match...they take sixth-I'm at seventh-that kinda thing..

I like walking up and down the hallways of the hotel on the morning of a 'big shoot'.

inevitably, you will walk by several rooms and hear the tell-tale sounds of click-click-click-click-click.    click-click-click-click-click. 

13 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

I'll practice grabbing and loading shotgun shells a few times. (Dummy shells)  I also do the same drawing and holstering pistols.  I do this all at my truck in the parking lot. After that I try to clear my mind as much as possible.  Try to get mentally ready for a good performance. I think Smoooooooooooth............................and fast! 

Haha, usually for me the "dummy" is the one pullin the shells! :P

2 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

I like walking up and down the hallways of the hotel on the morning of a 'big shoot'.

inevitably, you will walk by several rooms and hear the tell-tale sounds of click-click-click-click-click.    click-click-click-click-click

That's someone practicing with their very rare 5 click Colts.

16 hours ago, Ringer said:

Do you do anything to warm up before a shoot?

Mentally or physically? 

I have seen some people stretch but thats about it.

Ringer are you asking about the morning of the match or before each stage?

Well first off dont get out of your normal routine. Try to get up at the same time eat the same things you normally do. Basically get you a routine and stick with it every day.  As I'm driving to the match I like to mentally rehearse some stages.  Once I'm on a stage I will go thru the stage 10 to 15 times so that I can let my subconscious mind take over while I'm actually shooting.  And lastly as I'm walking up to stage my guns the only thing I'm thinking about is being smooth seeing the front sight and the bead on the shotgun.

Usually, there's enough posse work to be done to preoccupy my mind and body, right up until I load my guns.  It would be nice to have a minute or two to unwind, stretch, or "get into the zone", but I seldom have that option.   Works fine for me that way.  No time to get stressed.  It's all just for fun.  

29 minutes ago, Sidekick said:

Well first off dont get out of your normal routine. Try to get up at the same time eat the same things you normally do. Basically get you a routine and stick with it every day.  As I'm driving to the match I like to mentally rehearse some stages.  Once I'm on a stage I will go thru the stage 10 to 15 times so that I can let my subconscious mind take over while I'm actually shooting.  And lastly as I'm walking up to stage my guns the only thing I'm thinking about is being smooth seeing the front sight and the bead on the shotgun.

So nothing physical before you leave or at the truck when you get there.

Thanks

At the last two Missouri State championships hosted by the Southern Missouri Rangers, we have opened up one stage an hour early to allow live fire practice.  Those who work their kinks out just before the match begins seem to place high in the overall.  I wish more clubs would do this.

Right before the stage, I am loading up my 51's and/or my ammo block, putting shells in my bandoleer, making sure I have all the stuff I need to shoot the stage. Basically, all the stuff I had meant to do when I got to the shoot, but instead got distracted BSing with all my buddies I haven't seen for a week or two. I'm not going to say I am easily distracted, but........................................Squirrel!

I try to watch my main competitor so I get keyed up and make my mistakes early.

Then I can relax and enjoy the rest of the shoot.

Waimea

6 hours ago, Ringer said:

So nothing physical before you leave or at the truck when you get there.

Thanks

Not really but everyone is different so do what works for you.

1 hour ago, Sidekick said:

Not really but everyone is different so do what works for you.

You need to remember Ringer that Sidekick is only about half our age or less. His body doesn’t make those strange sounds when he gets out of bed in the morning like ours does lol

4 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

You need to remember Ringer that Sidekick is only about half our age or less. His body doesn’t make those strange sounds when he gets out of bed in the morning like ours does lol

That's true but that day is rapidly approaching. I'm definitely not 25 anymore

1 hour ago, Sawyer said:

Sidekick and Missouri Lefty told me that drinking a half gallon of Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Fire works wonders for shooting the early stages!

Hey its guaranteed to do away with pre shoot jitters 

I try to load all my gear in my truck at least two days before the match and lay out the cowboy clothes I'll be wearing.  So, depending on the severity of my hangover, all I have to do the morning of the match is find my keys and try to remember where the heck I'm headed.

Archived