SASS Wire Forum

SASS New Vaquero hammer swap

Hanso Lowe

I'm sure this has been discussed 2,458 times already, but when I tried searching for posts on the subject all I got was  8,000,000 things to search through.

I have a pair of SASS New Vaqueros in .357 that I want to switch out the hammers on. I want something that is as close to drop in as is possible. What are my options? I want something more upright and more narrow. In stainless preferably.

27 minutes ago, Hanso Lowe said:

I want something more upright and more narrow. In stainless preferably.

So you are saying you want the regular Vaquero hammers that come on the standard model? They should drop right in. Maybe you should sell the SASS models and buy the standard model. You would save money that way. 

4 minutes ago, Flash said:

So you are saying you want the regular Vaquero hammers that come on the standard model? They should drop right in. Maybe you should sell the SASS models and buy the standard model. You would save money that way. 

If those are more upright then yes. are the super blackhawk hammers more upright than standard NMV hammers?

You can buy standard Vaquero hammers directly from Ruger. I would put a looking for add in the Classifieds here. Many people have replaced their hammers with Super Blackhawk hammers and will probably have the standard hammers stuck away in a drawer somewhere.

Just now, Hanso Lowe said:

If those are more upright then yes. are the super blackhawk hammers more upright than standard NMV hammers?

No, Super Blackhawk hammers are exactly what you have already, just with a straight cut across where you cock. Your hammers are Montaldo and they have a cross cut on the back. Standard hammers are taller and thinner.

Any gunsmith that works on Rugers will have a drawer full of stock hammers in his shop. Get on the phone.

4 minutes ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

No, Super Blackhawk hammers are exactly what you have already, just with a straight cut across where you cock. Your hammers are Montaldo and they have a cross cut on the back. Standard hammers are taller and thinner.

Thanks! That's what I needed to know. I'll start looking for standard stainless hammers.

45 minutes ago, Hanso Lowe said:

I'm sure this has been discussed 2,458 times already, but when I tried searching for posts on the subject all I got was  8,000,000 things to search through.

I have a pair of SASS New Vaqueros in .357 that I want to switch out the hammers on. I want something that is as close to drop in as is possible. What are my options? I want something more upright and more narrow. In stainless preferably.

Sorry I misread that. yeah if it's standard vaquero hammers you want there's probably several people that would be happy to swap you for the wider hammers that comes on the sass vaqueros. Myself included. I have 2 sets laying on the bench right now that i'm never gonna use.  

2 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Sorry I misread that. yeah if it's standard vaquero hammers you want there's probably several people that would be happy to swap you for the wider hammers that comes on the sass vaqueros. Myself included. I have 2 sets laying on the bench right now that i'm never gonna use.  

You have a pair of stainless ones you want to sell?

I would swap in old model.  It's what I do on all of mine.   After duece let me shoot his that were done that way four or five years ago   I would hate to shoot anything else

1 minute ago, Hanso Lowe said:

You have a pair of stainless ones you want to sell?

1 set is for sure not stainless i'll have to look at the other set as I dont remember. I have no need for them so if you want a pair of them just pay the postage on them and offer me first crack on the ones you take off if you decide to sell them. 

2 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

I would swap in old model.  It's what I do on all of mine.   After duece let me shoot his that were done that way four or five years ago   I would hate to shoot anything else

What is the advantage to using OMV hammers vs NMV hammers? How difficult is it to swap?

4 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

1 set is for sure not stainless i'll have to look at the other set as I dont remember. I have no need for them so if you want a pair of them just pay the postage on them and offer me first crack on the ones you take off if you decide to sell them. 

That would be great. Let me know if the other set is stainless. If not then blued is fine.

9 minutes ago, Hanso Lowe said:

What is the advantage to using OMV hammers vs NMV hammers? How difficult is it to swap?

I swapped two out in about half an hour monday.  The spur isnt as tall but its higher up. Your thumb doesn't have to move as far. But it's not horribly wide like the ones you have now. For me it's the best of both worlds higher up and narrow

Just now, evil dogooder said:

I swapped two out in about half an hour monday.  The spur isnt as tall but its higher up. Your thumb doesn't have to move as far. But it's not horribly wide like the ones you have now. For me it's the best of both worlds higher up and narrow

Interesting. I will try to find a set of those as well and see which ones work better for me.

13 hours ago, Hanso Lowe said:

Thanks! That's what I needed to know. I'll start looking for standard stainless hammers.

Heck, I'll trade ya! I have a couple of sets of regular hammers and would love a set of Montado hammers.

Is there a difference between these two Blackhawk hammers?

Ruger Hammer Ruger Super Blackhawk, Hunter Stainless Steel

and

Ruger Hammer Ruger Blackhawk Stainless Steel

I want to replace my New Vaqueros' hammers.

If you want the wide/lowered hammers, make sure it says "Super" Blackhawk hammers. And if available, get the hammer "assembly"; includes the pin, spring, plunger and should be as drop-in as can be.

The Blackhawk hammer (without the "super") is just a regular Blackhawk/Vaquero hammer with the narrower/higher spur.

They come in a brushed stainless finish. I like to polish em up like little mirrors. ;)

3 hours ago, Houston CAS said:

and

yes the blackhawk hammer is basically the exact same as what's on the NMV where the super blackhawk hammer is lower and wider like what's on the sass model vaqueros.  I just replaced a set of OMV hammers for the super blackhawk hammers. now for it to warm up a bit to go try them out. 

5 hours ago, Houston CAS said:

and

i was wondering the same thing. 

5 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

yes the blackhawk hammer is basically the exact same as what's on the NMV where the super blackhawk hammer is lower and wider like what's on the sass model vaqueros.  I just replaced a set of OMV hammers for the super blackhawk hammers. now for it to warm up a bit to go try them out. 

Good because I just ordered the Hunter model since that's the one they have in stock. I won't be putting it on until after Trailhead next month though.

On 2/27/2020 at 8:54 PM, Turkey Flats Jack said:

@Hanso Lowe both sets are off of blued guns. stainless on the sides and blue down the backside. send me a pm with your mailing address and i'll get them out to you if you'd like to give them a try. 

Those are chrome-moly steel and will rust/discolor.

They are not SS at all.

You can't blue SS.

OLG 

I have 4 stainless [and one with black edges] old style full sized Vaquero hammers that I swapped out for the wide spur super blackhawk hammers. Anyone interested? It wasn’t hard to do and they feel and look much better. Btw, I shoot duelist. I bought my daughter inlaw a New Vaquero birdshead and found that I can’t shoot it as it beats my knuckles up too bad. My full sized vaquero is ok though. 

5 hours ago, Baltimore Ed said:

I have 5 stainless old style full sized Vaquero hammers that I swapped out for the wide spur super blackhawk hammers. Anyone interested? It wasn’t hard to do and they feel and look much better. Btw, I shoot duelist. I bought my daughter inlaw a New Vaquero birdshead and found that I can’t shoot it as it beats my knuckles up too bad. My full sized vaquero is ok though. 

How much for a couple of them

And here I was starting to think I was weird because I like the higher hammers as well.  Just got a set of stainless standards for my SASS model Vaqueros.  Haven't put them in yet-hoping to get it done soon though.  The lower, fatter ones just don't cock as smoothly for me as the higher, thinner ones on my other set of guns.

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2020 at 3:44 PM, Smoky Pistols said:

And here I was starting to think I was weird because I like the higher hammers as well.  Just got a set of stainless standards for my SASS model Vaqueros.  Haven't put them in yet-hoping to get it done soon though.  The lower, fatter ones just don't cock as smoothly for me as the higher, thinner ones on my other set of guns.

Did you get the hammers installed yet?

On 2/27/2020 at 5:24 PM, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Midway has super blackhawk hammers that are drop in. I just got a set for my OMV had to switch the plunger spring, plunger, and pin to the new hammers because they dont come with them. the bisley hammer requires hand fitting. 

I ordered a pair of "supers" from Midway a coup[le months ago and they came with the spring & plunger. Haven't installed them yet. My nephew did and they dropped right into his. NMV's. FYI

Archived