SASS Wire Forum

Just not feeling it this year

Boomstick Bruce

The two previous winters i have been excitedly waiting for "SASS season" to start back up in march, this year i haven't been even remotely interested. I dont know why, it feels like a burden this year. I havent loaded any ammo, written any stages, gone to the range, heck i havent even so much as looked at my guns. Whats going on with me this year?

I'm right there with you.  That's why I'm not at Winter Range right now.  That being said, seeing all the photos on Facebook coming from Ben Avery has my juices flowing again and sorry I'm missing it.  I'm sorry I can't tell you a sure fire cure to get over the blahs, but I imagine it'll hit you when the time is right. 

Sometimes you just get busy physically or mentally (or both) and just not in the groove. I think that we've all been there. If you have a lot going on then suddenly it isn't a priority. Watching some vidoes or a relaxing day at the range might help. I know that sometimes that doesn't help either as you still have a lot going on.

I haven't been to a match in months. Running a farm, working a 40, kids in football-basketball-baseball-softball-track, and late nights popping predators after our livestock has made me "less enthused" about CAS. However, now that things are starting to settle down a hair I’m starting to think about CAS more.

Hang in there, you’re not alone. This too shall pass…

1 hour ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Sounds like you got the winter blahs really bad this year. Perhaps a few you tube videos of our sport might rekindle the fire. 

I agree with ya, Doc.

Plus, SASS does have its expenses and sometimes, our 'necessities' and other priorities use up our shooting funds.

..........Widder

Hey, Bruce!

You might need to buy some new and different guns!  This always works for me.

There is a match this Sunday.  Weather forecast is for a high of 60.  Sounds doable. But I'm watching the forecast.  This is Missouri after all. I'm not ready on any account but I figure I can pull something together.   I've not talked it out with Sawmill Mary but I figure if I load stuff up, she'll get the hint.

Careful, BB & SB - it might be Corona virus.  Cure that by not drinking that cheap Mexican beer for a while. 

We all go through ups and downs.  Don't go sell your guns just yet.  Here are my suggestions, find some new shooters to help, watch your favorite western movies, try a different category. 

One championship is a fluke. Repeat it. 

Championship streaks: 1936-39, 1949-53, 1998-2000

The Yankees boast an astonishing 27 World Series titles, which is an MLB record. They've gone on numerous streaks, taking home four championships in a row from 1936 to 1939, five in a row from 1949 to 1953 and three in a row from 1998 to 2000.

The older I get I'm getting pickier about the weather and possibly other things to do besides a match. That said I still will go to at least 3 a month but I used to chomp at the bit to shoot whenever there was a shoot. I'll still go to 3 local 2 day shoots but no more 4 and 5 hour drives to state and regionals.

I am definitely a "come for the shooting, stay for the people" shooter.  Don't get me wrong, I fully enjoy the shooting.  However, I truly love seeing the people.  Some I see a couple times a month.  Others a couple times a year, and many, far less than that.  The idea of going to a match brings the prospect of who I will see there to the forefront.  Winter depresses me because I know I will miss my cowboy friends.  When the registrations for our state match come in, I do a little happy dance knowing that those I see only once a year at the match are coming for another visit.  
I am waiting for another season to start.  Even if it's cold (and I hate shooting in the cold) I'll be there hoping to see friends I hadn't seen since last fall.

I am kinda with you. I just moved 1700 miles. The garage we have is packed to the gills with unpacked boxes and my reloading gear, ammo, and gun cart are buried in it. I don't have a reloading bench anymore and it will be close to a year before I will again. The stress of starting a new job, moving, dealing with family health issues, and a million other stoppers kill my desire to go shoot. For about two months I was having panic attacks at night but for the most part that has stopped. I am sure I will get back in the shooting mood as I am planning on going down to winter ranch Saturday to see what to expect next year.

so ive been talkin it with my friends and thinkin it with my plans to schedule [not able to sign up so far tho] and ive bought sold a couple , not im getting excited , i finished my last 200+ reloads last night , ordered more bullets and looked into expanding my reloading setup by getting the new dies out and figuring out what i needed to do to start up , 

i think the sun being out after near two months of gloom got me inspired , open the shades and take a breath of fresh air it gives one a reason to get up and get going , im going to retire in the next two years - i want everything set up and ready to go so i can just DO IT as they say , have a bunch to do before that happens tho , 

the winter gloom empowers me.

the summer sun inspires me

spring and fall fill me with expectations

cb

This has been one long dang winter... No snow, just cold, dark and windy... New job is very stressful, it's dark when I go to work and dark when I get home, we're buying a new house and I'm just tired all the time. Haven't been on my bike in months, haven't been to the range in months, haven't been swimming in months and I haven't shot a match since October... I just hope it starts warning up soon.

Heck, I have three hobbies  I very much enjoy and cannot do any of them even remotely regularity,  One I've not done for over three years. Why? Work. That 4 letter word takes up at least three weekends a month. I see the world going by. It's depressing. It's easy to lose intrest in what you like to do when there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. I feel your pain. I've devoloped a fourth hobby to compensate... I fall asleep on the couch a lot now. I kinda enjoy it too. :o;):D

Hang in the BB, it'll get better. Sometimes I wake up on match day and, even though I've prep'd and set everything out, it'd just be easier to go back to bed.

Then I think of all my pards and how much I really do like CAS and I take a step, then another until I'm headed out the door.

All my best to ya. It'll all come back soon.

16 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

The two previous winters i have been excitedly waiting for "SASS season" to start back up in march, this year i haven't been even remotely interested. I dont know why, it feels like a burden this year. I havent loaded any ammo, written any stages, gone to the range, heck i havent even so much as looked at my guns. Whats going on with me this year?

Drop some of what you do while participating in CAS events... maybe not volunteer to do so much. It's easy to become disenchanted when fun turns into work. Instead of writing stages, etc, just show up, shoot and spot or brass. Leave some of the larger planning for others for a while.

I've shot four matches this year, and am looking forward to more! I retired in 2017, and shot 39 matches last year, and 40 in 2018. :)

One club is no longer SASS affiliated and changed their format to something they call "Cowboy Combat" three years ago. Kind of what Western 3 Gun is, I suppose. Lots of forward and lateral movement, shooting through doorways, around barricades, through multiple ports requiring kneeling, etc. It's not my game, so I probably won't be going back this year, and that'll reduce my shooting from that of the past couple years. :(

9 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

This has been one long dang winter... No snow, just cold, dark and windy... New job is very stressful, it's dark when I go to work and dark when I get home, we're buying a new house and I'm just tired all the time.

This right here is the issue.  When I get busy like that, I don't feel like doing anything.  Activities that were fun feel like work when you're worn out.  What little time you do have you want to spend with the fam or just recouping.  Maybe those hours will change once you get into the groove at the new day gig.  That or you'll get conditioned to long hours (I did) and start having the desire to recreate again.

I dread the day that feeling comes, & I'm thinking it has to come sometime. Right now, Ophelia & I live for Saturdays (& 1 Sunday every month). Usually, about Wednesday or Thursday, Ophelia Payne ("O.P.") says, "I'm ready for Saturday to be here!", & I chime in with the same. I've been shooting 7 1/2 years now, & she's been shooting close to 7 years. We've both been on fire with it since we started, & it'll be sad when my body won't let me do it anymore. Sorry you have the blahs, & I hope it doesn't happen to either of us soon.

Like Junky and Capt. Bill we also shoot 5 times a month at least and that's year round. I hear the complaining about winter but all I want to do is take the summer off. The only thing between Cola, SC and hell in the summer is a screen door.

On 2/27/2020 at 12:07 PM, Boomstick Bruce said:

I havent loaded any ammo, written any stages, gone to the range, heck i havent even so much as looked at my guns. Whats going on with me this year?

New woman?

15 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

This has been one long dang winter... No snow, just cold, dark and windy... New job is very stressful, it's dark when I go to work and dark when I get home, we're buying a new house and I'm just tired all the time. Haven't been on my bike in months, haven't been to the range in months, haven't been swimming in months and I haven't shot a match since October... I just hope it starts warning up soon.

Tough being a grown up. Buying a house, full time job, parked the bike?  

imageService.jpeg

Deep breath cowboy, the winter doldrums can be wicked, the darkness of winter can kind of dampen the desires of which you are accustomed, take out your shooters open a fresh bottle of hoppes #9 and clean the hell out of them, watch a few good movies ie: Open range, Tombstone, Wyatt Earp, True Grit etc. polish those boots, load a few hundred rounds and go outside and burn them into a snowbank. I have never shot with you but I look forward to the day I do so don’t disappoint me or others,  I assume you have put a lot of time to attain the level you are at now so press on, it will get better!    SCJ

5 hours ago, Trooper Ozzy said:

Tough being a grown up. Buying a house, full time job, parked the bike?  

imageService.jpeg

The job is just so stressful, it's been too cold to ride and becoming an adult is about the dumbest thing I've ever done!

The bike is usually my stress reliever, as is the range, but it's just been so cold I don't want to do either. Furthermore I swear buying a house has got to be the most stressful thing anyone can do.

Everything seems to be a burden right now. I know I'll feel better once I can put the top down on the car and crank up some metal on the radio,  blast down 81 @100mph on the bike or rip off a few hundred rounds at the range. But until then it's just work, sleep, repeat.

Come on spring!

Archived