SASS Wire Forum

Does anyone use Clean Shot anymore?

Mustang Gregg

I used to load Clean Shot in my main match revolvers and rifles.

But I got away from that when I got real busy with other issues.

So now I'm pondering loading the smoky stuff again.

But there are not many SASS shooters who shoot BP categories around here.

So I'm asking the fire, "Do you use it?  And do you recommend it?".

Much obliged,

Mustang

Howdy MG.

The powder known and called "Clean Shot" that most of us use now is smokeless stuff distributed by

(or made by) Shooters World.

Their proprietary distributor among Cowboy shooters is Scarlett Darlin.  

Please note:   I didn't say the only distributor/seller but that Scarlett Darlin has an agreement

with Shooters World to be their main distributor of their powder among 'COWBOY' vendors.

..........Widder

Thanks for the fast replies, fellers.

It's been quite a spell since I loaded it.

Maybe 12 years ago now???

I liked it because it seemed fairly easy to clean up.

And I didn't have to use BP-type bullet lubes.

Is Clean Shot (or Am. Pioneer Powder) compatible with Hy Tech coated bullets?

Mustang

1 hour ago, Mustang Gregg said:

Thanks for the fast replies, fellers.

It's been quite a spell since I loaded it.

Maybe 12 years ago now???

I liked it because it seemed fairly easy to clean up.

And I didn't have to use BP-type bullet lubes.

Is Clean Shot (or Am. Pioneer Powder) compatible with Hy Tech coated bullets?

Mustang

I have shot thousands of Hy-Tek coated bullets with APP with zero issues. I did a torture test a couple of years ago and shot 18 stages over a 3 day weekend and did nothing more than wipe then down at the end of each day. Had Zero issues and am confident that I could have shot an additional 6 stages no problem.

Just be sure your firearms are lubed with a BP compatible lube.

2 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

I used to load Clean Shot in my main match revolvers and rifles.

But I got away from that when I got real busy with other issues.

So now I'm pondering loading the smoky stuff again.

But there are not many SASS shooters who shoot BP categories around here.

So I'm asking the fire, "Do you use it?  And do you recommend it?".

Much obliged,

Mustang

Mustang,

The "Cleanshot" BP substitute we used to use is no longer made.  Neither is Golden Powder, Clearshot, Arco, Pinnacle, or Black MZ.  Subs are pretty much just Triple 7, Pyrodex, and American Pioneer Powder, (Shockey's Gold or APP)  

Cleanshot was Citric Acid based, and the better, improved version of that is APP.  The nice thing about APP, is that it now smokes more than BP, where Cleanshot seemed to smoke less.  It is also less hygroscopic.

APP and Triple 7 can be used with smokeless lubed, or Hi-Tek coated bullets.

Just stay away from Pyrodex, you'll be able to hear your gun rust like a "73 Chevy pick-up.:lol:

21 hours ago, McCandless said:

Subs are pretty much just Triple 7, Pyrodex, and American Pioneer Powder, (Shockey's Gold or APP)  

Scarlett can tell us for sure but Shockley’s Gold may be discontinued, with all the company’s powder now sold as APP.  I never understood why they bothered with two different powders.

I can attest that APP generates plenty of smoke!

I have two Sportsman’s Warehouse stores in my area.  I did my best to clean out their remaining stock of Black MZ.  I pretty much use it for shotshells.

I really enjoy shooting APP as well.  It has that ‘self lubing’ quality that works great with coated bullets,  keeps fouling to an absolute minimum and the cylinders spinning all day long.  As Sedalia Dave mentioned, it’s a snap to clean and definitely produces a more smoke than an equal measure of BP

I don’t know for sure but it appears as if Black MZ and APP are one in the same or at least very similar.  In fact, APP may have manufactured it for sale under the Alliant brand.   I came across a patent number covering APP and also a reference that Black MZ was licensed/produced under the same number.  Either way, APP is still available and fun to shoot.  

On 2/27/2020 at 12:15 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

... you'll be able to hear your gun rust like a "73 Chevy pick-up.:lol:

I HAD a rusty '73 Chevy pickup...
Not only did it rust, but it had the Chevy hood crimp/fold as well...

I no longer own it, but it does live around the corner from me, still.

10 hours ago, bgavin said:

I HAD a rusty '73 Chevy pickup...
Not only did it rust, but it had the Chevy hood crimp/fold as well...

I no longer own it, but it does live around the corner from me, still.

That was an amazing vintage, my B inlaw had one and both doors literally rotted right up to the door handles.:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

APP 3F works for me in 357mag. Cleans easily on day of match. It will corrode steel if firearm is not cleaned within a few days. I use Balistol [10-15%] and water in spray bottle, then wipe outside dry during a 6+ stage match. I like it because I use coated bullets [easier on reloader]. 

Using APP to load powder through a die will cause issues with rust and corrosion unless you clean the die [and dispenser] after use or 500 rounds [progressive]. It is dirty to load, about the same as 3F black, so consider a good strong cleaning of your reloading dies and equipment after a session. I live in a high humidity area and have seen rust overnight on steel where particles of the APP rested. 

I still use 2F black in my brass shotgun shells. However, several cowboys use APP 2/3F in theirs. I think one of them said 35 grains does the trick for him with 7/8 oz shot. 

I use black for long range because I found it to be more consistent for this game. 

Good luck and good shooting.

Archived