SASS Wire Forum

Adds new meaning to traveling light

Yes,  Gulf Oil Corp was purchased by Chevron 35 years ago and I’d say that picture is at least 25 years older than that.....say, 1960 or earlier.

Cat Brules

Check out that wrench tied to the front of the frame....  ^_^

Oh!  And the horn!!  :lol:

I think they started making the Shovelhead engine in "66 and stopped in "84. The pic may be newere than expected at someones "collector gas station. Only Harley's can live on like that.:FlagAm:

2 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Yes,  Gulf Oil Corp was purchased by Chevron 35 years ago and I’d say that picture is at least 25 years older than that.....say, 1960 or earlier.

Cat Brules

I didn't know that.  My dad had 5 car wash coupons from Gulf.  There was no expiration date so I hung onto them in case I ever ran across a gulf station.  Now that I know this, I'll try to redeem them at a chevron!

The jacket looks to be an army issued parka from the late 50s - 70s. I had a pair of Teva goggles in 68 that looked almost identical.

Since we're doing this ... The radio tower in the background makes me think it's relatively modern.  But I cannot find any info on when that kind of tower started to see widespread use.  I can't even tell if it's guyed, but as narrow as it is, it must be unless it's relatively short.  I see a device about halfway up that might be a satellite dish. 

If I could enhance the photo like on TV, I could probably see what was in the reflection in the window.  That would tell us what buildings were across the street. 

With the picture blown up, I noticed the white dot in the middle of the bike.  Anyone know what that's covering up?  Is that a serial number of something? 

4 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

With the picture blown up, I noticed the white dot in the middle of the bike.  Anyone know what that's covering up?  Is that a serial number of something? 

Gearshift knob.

20 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

image.png.33bc9fedab7b0cb7dea6f90eaaee8019.png

After the Vietnam war ended an older brother of a friend of mine traveled the country on  bike like that (although his looked a bit less rat and more old and crusty). He would rumble home on his way between jobs etc. I thought it looked like fun, in a rough sort of way. 

Before I went into the Army I took a long trip on my bike. Had more stuff packed on than this one. On the back my fishing pool was up in the air with a few rolls of TP on the rod. Oh what a trip that was. Got ran off the road more than once by farmers, but what a trip.

19 hours ago, Alpo said:

I'm certainly not a Harley expert, but isn't that a knucklehead?

main-qimg-76ef31c1c877a76e1ecc59e43a5fa9

L to R, knuckle, shovel, pan

Looks like a shovel to me. The pics you show are of the other (right) side of the motor. But as always, I could be wrong. Come on someone help me out here.:)

3 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Looks like a shovel to me. The pics you show are of the other (right) side of the motor. But as always, I could be wrong. Come on someone help me out here.:)

Shovelhead view

Shovelhead.jpg

Image result for left side of shovelhead engine

Left side of a shovel

image.jpeg.d2f68a8236f486d76d25abc2e64520c7.jpeg

Looking over the top, couldn't find an actual left view quickly! This would be an older one and appears to be built on a Panhead lower end.

Archived