SASS Wire Forum

Coronavirus

Highwall

Unfortunately I have no faith that any politician or health official will truly do what is necessary to contain the virus.  It will spread and go through the population.

I texted a friend in China last week, his whole community is locked down and the government is tracking movements via cell phones.  Schools are all online with children not leaving the house.  if that isn’t working to stop the spread, we have no hope.  If it is truly a health emergency and needs to be contained, all air travel should be stopped, all sporting events and other gatherings stopped, no kids going to school.  It would crater the economy for the short term, but not doing those things will guarantee that it will spread.   I just hope the survival rate is high and it’s a non issue. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The company I work for (50,000+ employees) just instituted a 30 day business travel restriction in response to the virus. Saved me from having to fly to Seattle next week so I don't mind :)

2 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

Unfortunately I have no faith that any politician or health official will truly do what is necessary to contain the virus.  It will spread and go through the population.

I texted a friend in China last week, his whole community is locked down and the government is tracking movements via cell phones.  Schools are all online with children not leaving the house.  if that isn’t working to stop the spread, we have no hope.  If it is truly a health emergency and needs to be contained, all air travel should be stopped, all sporting events and other gatherings stopped, no kids going to school.  It would crater the economy for the short term, but not doing those things will guarantee that it will spread.   I just hope the survival rate is high and it’s a non issue. 

Here are the death rates as estimated by the Chinese.  I note that most SASS members are in higher risk age groups.

image.png.98173f383969b06e1e30205cf7791538.png

image.png

My 98 year old mom lives in a home in the Seattle area. I asked her if she was worried about the Coronavirus. She said "Que sera sera." She loved Doris Day movies! :rolleyes:

Advice from James Robb, MD

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! Jim

James Robb, MD FCAP

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Advice from James Robb, MD

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemicI

Thanks for posting this.  It’s authenticity is verified by Snopes, not that I doubted you in the first place.

This is the best common sense list of recommendations I have read.  Here’s hoping it gets a lot of play in the news and from official government sources.

I distrust Snopes more than most... a pair of L.A. liberals with an agenda.

MMH: Thanks for the summary post.
My dad was an eye doctor, and I grew up hearing the same thing:  "Keep your damn hands away from your face."

We do the C + Zinc regimen whenever there is a threat of exposure to a cold or bug.
The grandson came down with Flu-A, which we both got a taste of... because we got the Flu-A vaccination last fall.
I can only imagine how much worse it would have been without it.

I wonder how many years of re education therapy at the local University Campus you get if your phone has some unhealthy videos.

Sad at least, but expected.

10 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Barbarous! :angry::(

but mere kid glove treatment compared to NK where those breaking quarantine are shot on the spot

Another posting from a professional 

————-
This is a posting by Juliana Grant, a physician and infectious disease epidemiologist from the Seattle area.

Hi folks,

A number of you have asked me what I think is going to happen with coronavirus (COVID-19) and what we should be doing to prepare. I have a few thoughts about what’s likely to happen and what you should do about it. For those of you who don’t know me well, I am a preventive medicine physician and infectious disease epidemiologist. I graduated from the CDC’s Epidemic Intelligence Service and have over 17 years of experience in the field, most of that with CDC.
Wishing everyone good health,
Juliana

Who should I listen to?
The CDC and your state health department are your best place for information about COVID-19. Be cautious about other sources of information - many of them will not be reliable or accurate.

How bad is this going to be?
It’s possible that COVID-19 will be similar to a bad flu year but there are a number of indications that it will be very much like the 1918 Flu Pandemic. To put that in perspective, the 1918 flu did not end civilization as we know it but it was the second-deadliest event of the last 200 years. Expect people you know to die from this.
However, there is one critical difference between COVID-19 and the 1918 flu - the 1918 flu virus hit children and young adults particularly hard. COVID-19 seems to be most severe in older adults. Children and young adults generally have mild infections. We are grateful for this.

What can we expect?
This is not the zombie apocalypse. Core infrastructure (e.g., power, water, supermarkets, internet, government, etc.) will continue to work, perhaps with some minor disruptions.
There will be significant economic disruption: a global recession is very possible and there will probably be significant shortages of some products. The healthcare system will be hit the hardest. The number of people who are likely to get sick is higher than our healthcare systems can handle.
Daily life will be impacted in important ways. Travel is likely to be limited and public gatherings will probably be canceled. Schools will probably be closed. Expect health departments to start issuing these orders in the near future, especially on the West Coast.
The acute pandemic will probably last at least for several months and quite possibly for a year or two.

What can we do?
We can’t keep COVID-19 from being a global pandemic but the more we can do to slow the spread of the disease, the less severe the impact will be. With that in mind, here are the things you can do:
• Stay calm but take it seriously. This will likely be bad but it’s not the apocalypse.
• Stay home if you’re sick or someone in your house is sick.
• Leave medical supplies for healthcare workers. You shouldn’t be stockpiling masks or other medical supplies. They are needed in hospitals to keep our healthcare workers healthy.
• Wash your hands. Get in the habit of frequently washing your hands thoroughly and covering your cough.
• Minimize your exposure. Now that we’re seeing community transmission, it’s time to start seriously cutting back on your exposure to other people. Depending on your circumstances:
• Cancel all non-essential travel (and most of it is non-essential!)
• Avoid large-scale gatherings
• Work from home if possible
• Minimize direct contact with others including hand shakes and hugs
• Reduce your trips out of the house. If possible, shop for two weeks of groceries at once or consider having your groceries delivered.
• Remember, keep calm and prepare. This is likely to be bad but if we respond calmly and thoughtfully we can handle it.
Feel free to share this email as you see fit.
Juliana Grant, MD MPH
Public health and epidemiology consultant

I have always had good stash of water, dry goods, canned goods, charcoal, Sterno cans etc. If not to mention an ample supply of ammo stored in my basement. I think it would last me about 250 days . Hopefully if it comes to worse it would be over by then.:unsure: 

2 minutes ago, JD Lud said:

I’m sure the containment “hotel” collapse in China was an “accident”....

Probably was. If you've visited China one of the first things you notice is substandard construction - same a much of the rest of the world.  One of the hotel advertisements I saw in Central Asia stated it was constructed to withstand an earthquake (unlike its competitors).   In the US we take it for granted that there are building codes, construction inspections and skilled craftsmen building structures.  I isn't so in most of the world.

Just a heads up on hand sanitizers in your car. By all means use the crap out 'em, but carry disposable towels and wipe your hands clean and dry. All them fancy knobs on the dash and buttons on the steering wheel will get wiped out in short order if you don't. 

They thought John Travolta had coronavirus but they found it was only Saturday Night Fever and he's Stayin' Alive!:o

9 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

They thought John Travolta had coronavirus but they found it was only Saturday Night Fever and he's Stayin' Alive!:o

That deserves applause!

065F0493-E5DB-4CE4-88A9-5795A8641382.gif.97a0ff7a83fc551edece595adef1bb4c.gif

I saw a report that the Covid-19 virus is genetically nearly identical to the SARS virus. This could be good news as far as developing a vaccine.

20k deaths in US from flu, 22 from covid-19. Tell me again why we are being panicked to the point of fist fights over toilet paper and bottled water over it? Oh, right, the lamestream media and the politicizing  of DC.

The media knows the economy drives the election....They want to tank it anyway they can to give the chosen DNC candidate Biden at least a chance.   They are going to have to keep hyping it because the more he talks the deeper he digs....upsetting the UAW members today....nice work on his part.

If you take away the deaths from the 80 plus year olds in two nursing homes you are probably down to like 3-5 people dead in the country.  Symptoms can range from virtually nothing, to a mild cold, to flu like for the majority of people...How many do you think are already infected...I would venture its 3-4 times more than what's been reported.  Longer it goes on, the more they will learn on it and how to treat people and prevent it, warmer weather could impact it, so many unknowns.  

Panic is the medias weapon.

Biden seems to be self destructing on national TV.  He got into a cussing argument with some guy asking about gun control and has been having trouble putting complete thoughts together.  His "gaffs" are becoming quite regular.  I wonder if he's having some kind of medical issues.   Time will tell.

8 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Biden seems to be self destructing on national TV.  He got into a cussing argument with some guy asking about gun control and has been having trouble putting complete thoughts together.  His "gaffs" are becoming quite regular.  I wonder if he's having some kind of medical issues.   Time will tell.

Biden has been a government parasite for 44 years now.
He is just plain stupid, and has been for decades.

All it is doing now, is getting worse.
Temper tantrums are a classic symptom of dementia.... been there, seen that, first-hand.

"We cannot get re-elected.. we cannot win this re-election.. excuse me, we can only re-elect Donald Trump if in fact we get engaged in this ciruclar firing squad here."
--Joe Biden, 2020.03.08, Campaign speech

"Look!  Tomorrow is Super Thurs... err... Tuesday, and I want to thank you all."
--Joe Biden, 2020.03.02, Texas campaign stop

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, all men and women created by- go- you know- you know the thing.”
--Joe Biden, 2020.03.02, Texas campaign stop

"150 million people have been killed since 2007 when Bernie voted to exempt the gun manufacturers from liability."
--Joe Biden, 2020.02.25, Democrat Debates

"My name’s Joe Biden. I’m a Democratic candidate for the United States Senate."
--Joe Biden, 2020.02.24 "First In The South" dinner

“I believe in the Second Amendment, but nobody says you can have a round…a…a magazine with a hundred clips in it.”
--Joe Biden, 2019.11.08, Concord, NH

"It (childcare tax credit) would put 720 million back, million women back in the work force."
--Joe Biden, 2019.09.17, Philadelphia AFL-CIO Workers Presidential Summit

"Make sure you have the record player on at night. Make sure that kids hear words."
--Joe Biden, 2019.09.12, 3rd Democrat debate

"The idea that we don’t have elimination of assault type weapons, magazines that can hold multiple bullets in them, it's absolutely mindless"
--Joe Biden, 2019.09.02, Cedar Rapids, IA

"I want to be clear, I'm not going nuts"
--Joe Biden, 2019.08.24, Dartmouth College

"Those kids in Parkland came up to see me when I was vice president."
--Joe, Biden, 2019.08.10, The Parkland shooting was a year after Biden left office.

"There are at least three (genders)"
--Joe Biden, 2019.08.09, Iowa

"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."
--Joe Biden, 2019.08.08, Iowa campaign

"We choose truth over facts."
--Joe Biden, 2019.08.08, Iowa campaign

“No gun should be able to be sold unless your biometric measure could pull that trigger."
--Joe Biden, 2019.06.27, Democrat Debates

"...if you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door.”
--Joe Biden, 2013.02.xx, Field & Stream interview

"And the kids used to come up and reach in the pool and rub my leg down so it was straight and then watch the hair come back up again."
"I love kids jumping on my lap."
--Joe Biden, 2017.06.28, Wilmington, Delaware, pool dedication, Corn Pop speech

"Jill, if there’s ever a problem just walk out on the balcony here, walk out, put that double-barrelled shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house."
--Joe Biden, 2013.02.20, Parents Magazine forum

"This is a big fucking deal."
--Joe Biden, 2010.03.23, Hot Mic at White House St.Patrick's day event

"If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong."
-- Joe Biden, 2009.02.06, House Democratic caucus retreat at Williamsburg, VA

"A 3-letter word... JOBS"
--Joe Biden, 2008.10.15, Athens, Ohio

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed."
--Joe Biden, 2008.09.22, in a CBS interview. Television had not yet been invented in 1929, and Roosevelt was not yet president.

"Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be Vice President of the United States of America. Let's get that straight. She's a truly close personal friend. She is qualified to be President of the United States of America. She's easily qualified to be Vice President of the United States of America. Quite frankly, it might have been a better pick than me. But she's first rate."
--Joe Biden, 2008.09.10, Nashua NH rally

"I'm told Chuck Graham, state senator, is here. Stand up Chuck, let 'em see you. Oh, God love you. What am I talking about. I'll tell you what, you're making everybody else stand up, though, pal."
--Joe Biden, 2008.09.09, Campaign rally to Senator Chuck Graham who is wheelchair bound

"(Barrack Obama) the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean."
--Joe Biden, 2007.02.09, New York Observer interview

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man."
--Joe Biden, 2007.01.31, at campaign paperwork filing

"In Delaware, the largest growth of population is Indian Americans, moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking."
--Joe Biden, 2006.06.17, capture on C-SPAN

"I had the great honor of being arrested with our UN ambassador on the streets of Soweto trying to get to see him on Robben Island."
--Joe Biden, 1977, phony arrest claim with Nelson Mandela

Archived