SASS Wire Forum

Coronavirus

Highwall

I saw Dr. Drew being interviewed the other day. Now I don't give a flip for Oprah's favorite celebrity doctor but he had some interesting observations.

He was pretty pi**ed off. In his opinion the news media is in fact making this thing much worse.

He blasted the irresponsible, alarmist reporting and mentioned the other health issues like influenza and many other serious, wide-spread diseases that are pretty much ignored by the MSM.

And as we've seen in the past week, that irresponsible reporting has directly contributed to the biggest one day stock market drop in history.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I saw Dr. Drew being interviewed the other day. Now I don't give a flip for Oprah's favorite celebrity doctor but he had some interesting observations.

He was pretty pi**ed off. In his opinion the news media is in fact making this thing much worse.

He blasted the irresponsible, alarmist reporting and mentioned the other health issues like influenza and many other serious, wide-spread diseases that are pretty much ignored by the MSM.

And as we've seen in the past week, that irresponsible reporting has directly contributed to the biggest one day stock market drop in history.

Dr. Drew has been on Fox a lot and he's contemplating running against Schiff in L.A. He's pretty conservative and he's also pretty pi%$ed off about the homeless situation. I liked his take on the corona virus, he's a good guy. He's also been on Greg Gutfeld's show a few times. He's no liberal!

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Dr. Drew has been on Fox a lot and he's contemplating running against Schiff in L.A. He's pretty conservative and he's also pretty pi%$ed off about the homeless situation. I liked his take on the corona virus, he's a good guy. He's also been on Greg Gutfeld's show a few times. He's no liberal!

At least he's a real doctor....unlike DR. Phil. :D

4 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I’m going to stay away from crowds, no political rallies, which I would not go to anyway.

Cowboy shoots??:P

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If I gambled in the stock market I would think now might be a good time to think about buying stocks...then again with the sky falling one may want to wait...

I'm waiting patiently to back up the truck and load up on more of my favored investments.
We have not yet hit bottom, and will vacillate at the bottom for awhile.
Buy the saber rattling, and sell the peace treaties.

Two of my daughters are nurses... both are concerned, as they are hearing COVID-19 is airborne, not just droplets.
Airborne is one of the reasons the Black Death spread so quickly.

We already have FLU-A in the house... grandson got it at a Disney on ice event.
Morbidity rate of COVID-19 is 20x that of common flu.
It's a prolonged and nasty way to die.

8 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I'm waiting patiently to back up the truck and load up on more of my favored investments.
We have not yet hit bottom, and will vacillate at the bottom for awhile.
Buy the saber rattling, and sell the peace treaties.

The folks who actually lose in the market are the ones who don't diversify and panic when things drop. It ain't a thing amateurs and scairdycats should dabble in. The day-trading craze and get rich quick mentality have contributed  to a less stable market in the past few years.

Bottom line is, the Market always rises. Always. But not in the time you might want it to. Patience is king.

I have three concerns:

1. This is an election year and elected officials may may overreact to prove to the population that they are doing something and are in charge.  I don't think any government can stop this disease.  The Communist Party tried extreme measures in Wuhan and failed.  However I think it is possible to slow the spread and protect the most vulnerable.
  2. Panic responses by citizens will cause unnecessary disruptions.  In Hong Kong some retailers are sold out of rice and toilet paper.  (Triad gangs now hijack TP deliveries.)  In California there are reports of shortages of bottled water and toilet paper.  (Toilet paper hoarding)
  3. There are reports of Asian people being blamed for the outbreak.  My wife is Asian so I will ask her to only go out in public with me.  As usual I will be armed.  (chinese business down)

Regarding CAS matches, I suspect clubs will follow the instructions of local health authorities.  Two of the three clubs I shoot with are on public land and we need to remain in the good graces of our landlords.  At a private range where I am a club officer we already shut down during fire restrictions.  Should we start a wildland fire during a restriction it would be an end to the club.

On 2/27/2020 at 10:00 AM, Henry T Harrison said:

Much ado about nothing 

Agreed Henry. SARS was the end of mankind 12- 15 years ago , was it not?

Wait, it couldn't have been, or I'd not be here typing.

11 hours ago, bgavin said:

Airborne is one of the reasons the Black Death spread so quickly.

The Black Death/bubonic plague was spread by the bites of infected fleas.  It was not airborne.

12 hours ago, bgavin said:

Morbidity rate of COVID-19 is 20x that of common flu.
It's a prolonged and nasty way to die.

Be careful not to confuse morbidity with mortality;  morbidity is the number of symptomatic cases in a population, mortality is the number of deaths caused by that particular disease.  Morbidity is usually higher than mortality because there are few diseases that are 100% fatal.

I will appreciate a link to the statement that the morbidity rate is 20X that of the common flu.

Since you are in a correcting mood, you might want to look further into plague also being airborne.
Excavations under Charterhouse Square in the Clerkenwell area of London reveal evidence of Yersinia pestis that spread so fast it could only be airborne by droplets (sneezes and coughs).

This wordsmithing has obfuscated the meaning of my original comment, which is the publicized death rate for coronavirus is some 20x higher than the common flu.

3 minutes ago, bgavin said:

This wordsmithing has obfuscated the meaning of my original comment, which is the publicized death rate for coronavirus is some 20x higher than the common flu.

Since China is involved, we don’t know if 20x is overstated or understated.

4 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Since you are in a correcting mood, you might want to look further into plague also being airborne.
Excavations under Charterhouse Square in the Clerkenwell area of London reveal evidence of Yersinia pestis that spread so fast it could only be airborne by droplets (sneezes and coughs).

And you still have a better chance of hitting the lottery than catching let alone dying of this flu

I certainly hope that is the case, especially considering one of my nurse daughters, who lives in my house, is in the UC Davis Medical Center where the CV19 patient is.  They locked down 124 staff as a consequence.

17 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I will still appreciate a link to your information source.  Everything I can find online says the flu has a higher mortality rate than coronavirus.

According to Business Insider, the Chinese Center for Disease Control has indicated that the virus has a mortality rate of 0.2% for people between the ages of 10-39, 0.4% for people between the ages of 40-49, and 1.3% for people between 50-59.

According to the CDC, reports indicate that young children “generally” present mild symptoms if they do contract the virus. According to Business Insider, about 80% of people who contract coronavirus only exhibit mild symptoms. 

However, the mortality rate among individuals older than 60 is higher, but could be due to factors such as pre-existing medical conditions, particularly conditions related to smoking. The news agency reports that people between the ages of 60-69 have a mortality rate of 3.6%, people between 70-79 have a mortality rate of 8%, and people over the age of 80 have a mortality rate of 14.8%.

44 minutes ago, bgavin said:

According to Business Insider, the Chinese Center for Disease Control has indicated that the virus has a mortality rate of 0.2% for people between the ages of 10-39, 0.4% for people between the ages of 40-49, and 1.3% for people between 50-59.

I wouldn’t believe CCDC if they swore on a stack of Buddhas.

Now, I bought a chair from a local chain office supply store, which, after I had opened the plastic wrappings, turned out to have been manufactured in China on November 19, 2019, according to the label.  I contacted CDC and they said there was no problem with the virus living that long on the surfaces of the chair.  But with the 4 cases of the virus in people in California, who have had no contact (so far as they know) with anyone else having it, I wonder if the medical people have questioned them about receiving any products from China or Japan lately?  It has been a week since I bought the chair, and I'm feeling fine. Have to wait another week or so to see if I get sick! :o  Not going to any matches anyway, until I get both eyes fixed from cataracts. 

POTUS just had a press conference about an hour ago and said one lady in Washington state has died from this virus.

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

POTUS just had a press conference about an hour ago and said one lady in Washington state has died from this virus.

As I understand it she had other health issues that compromised her ability to fight the virus.

8 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Now, I bought a chair from a local chain office supply store, which, after I had opened the plastic wrappings, turned out to have been manufactured in China on November 19, 2019, according to the label.  I contacted CDC and they said there was no problem with the virus living that long on the surfaces of the chair.  But with the 4 cases of the virus in people in California, who have had no contact (so far as they know) with anyone else having it, I wonder if the medical people have questioned them about receiving any products from China or Japan lately?  It has been a week since I bought the chair, and I'm feeling fine. Have to wait another week or so to see if I get sick! :o  Not going to any matches anyway, until I get both eyes fixed from cataracts. 

Not every one that carries a virus displays any symptoms, yet they can infect others. Think Typhoid Mary. 

So it is possible she came in contact with an infected person that has otherwise not not been diagnosed with the corona virus.

Mary Mallon (1869-1938) and the history of typhoid fever

Just a matter of when you get it not if at this point.  Supply chain interruptions and panic shortages worry me more than the virus itself.  Told my wife to buy an extra pack of toilet paper each time she goes to the store....and beer.

I have plenty of squirrels to cook outside if we run out of food :)

they did say a nursing home near Kirkland is/maybe  infected....that will not be good.

Here is a link to an interactive map from Johns Hopkins University.

keep it current by refreshing the page as necessary

Duffield

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Archived