SASS Wire Forum

Baikal Problem

nunnfaster, SASS #51021

On a misfire, is there a light firing pin indent on the primer, or no mark at all?  Misfire on only one barrel, or on both sides?

Sometimes the wood of the butt  stock interferes with the hammer fall.   Take off butt and look for any scrapes or wear spots or splinters that are close to hammer travel areas.

Sometimes a double fails to latch shut due to dirt in locking or latching part of action, and this can mean firing pin can't hit the primer.   Often this kind of problem is associated with action opening by itself.

Good luck, GJ

Mine was doing that. One barrel (double trigger gun) would occasionally not fire. I took stock off, gave the mechanism a good cleaning. (It was fairly dirty). It was better, but would sometimes still misfire. I put receiver in sonic cleaner. I was amazed at the gunk that came out. Worked perfectly after that. I think the firing pin channel had some gradoux in it that was retarding the firing pin. I thought I had given it a good cleaning, but the sonic cleaner could reach places I could not get to. 

a drawback is the sonic cleaner took the bluing off the receiver, or at least dis-colored it. 

If it had the hammer springs replaced, they could be too light (when a barrel wont fire). If they are firing when you don't want them to after the hammers are set, then the sears are worn or not engaging. Could be "gunked" up inside causing the hammer sears to be slipped past.

Archived