SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighters and Nevada Sweeps

Dude Slade

I'm curious to hear how other folks who shoot gunfighter attack different stages. For starters, let's say a simple Nevada sweep with 4 horizontal targets, P1-P4.

I'm right-handed, so I like shooting from left to right, so I think the best way is to shoot it like this:

P1L, P2R, P3L, P4R, P3R, P2L, P1L, P2R, P3L, P4R

There's a couple of lead changes in there, but it seems to minimize crossover for me. How do y'all do it?

Yes, that's how I do it too.

>L      R      L      R

L         R<

>L      R      L      R

I rarely, if ever, change leads.

I extend my pistols straight out from my shoulders and try to maintain chest width between my pistols. 

I never bring my pistols close enough together to the point of even considering crossover.

The slight twist at my waist moves either pistol in line with it's needed targets without a crossover.

I firmly believe no matter how fast you can fire two rounds (unsupported) out of the same pistol - it is faster to fire two rounds out of two pistols.

And if that is true - I will avoid doing the slower choice whenever possible.

So in answer to the op.

T1 Left pistol

T2 Right pistol

T3 Left

T4 Right

T3 Left. Twist slightly

T2 Right

T1 Left

T2 Right

T3 Left

T4 Right

It would depend on the rest of  stage for me, if pistols were first, and what direction I was headed.  If you had to move right after the sweep I would start with  the left, moving to the left I'd start at the right.   I'd recommend working on it so you can shoot either way starting right or left .That way you can more efficiently  work a stage

16 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

It would depend on the rest of  stage for me, if pistols were first, and what direction I was headed.  If you had to move right after the sweep I would start with  the right.   I'd recommend working on it so you can shoot either way starting right or left .That way you can more efficiently  work a stage

This is a good point, and one that I will work on. I don't necessarily have a problem starting from the right... I just don't normally consider doing that. For some reason my brain wants to do it from left to right.

Thanks!

if you look at it from the standpoint of economies of motion...

I also do not cross over this way. On the sets of three, my lead hand should stay on target for the third shot from the first shot of the three.

Left on 1, Right on 2. -> twist body alignment at the waist slightly to orient to the right set of targets.

Left on 3, Right on 4, Left on 3 -> twist body alignment back to the left set of targets.

Right on 2, Left on 1, Right on 2 -> twist body alignment slightly to orient to the right set of targets.

Left on 3, Right on 4.

Right to left would just be the opposite.

Which hand I start with and which direction I go depends on weather, wind, and stage flow.

46 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I rarely, if ever, change leads.

I extend my pistols straight out from my shoulders and try to maintain chest width between my pistols. 

I never bring my pistols close enough together to the point of even considering crossover.

The slight twist at my waist moves either pistol in line with it's needed targets without a crossover.

I firmly believe no matter how fast you can fire two rounds (unsupported) out of the same pistol - it is faster to fire two rounds out of two pistols.

And if that is true - I will avoid doing the slower choice whenever possible.

So in answer to the op.

T1 Left pistol

T2 Right pistol

T3 Left

T4 Right

T3 Left. Twist slightly

T2 Right

T1 Left

T2 Right

T3 Left

T4 Right

When I say "crossover", I don't mean literally crossing the guns over, I just mean shooting with one gun, then the next shot is with the other gun, but in the direction of crossover. I never cross my guns either.  You may be right on not changing leads being faster... I think it may be more about fear of confusion? Still learning this game. :)

Thank you for the feedback!

I think it depends on if you are a double-cocker.  Seems most of the really fast GFers these days are single-cockers, but if you still double-cock then changing leads doesn't slow you down.

Just now, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I think it depends on if you are a double-cocker.  Seems most of the really fast GFers these days are single-cockers, but if you still double-cock then changing leads doesn't slow you down.

I single cock each pistol then fire it. The thought of double cocking makes my brain hurt. LOL

I always start with my left and finish with my right (Alternating L/R).  I can only think of one occasion where I changed this and that was a situation where the pistol targets were spread out over 90 degrees over about a 30 yard sweep.  The layout caused you to have to significantly rotate at the waist.  I still started on the left, but engaged the first 5 targets with the left pistol duelist.  This brought me to the targets on my right, which were engaged with the right pistol duelist.  It kept me from having to continuously having to cross over.

2 hours ago, Dude Slade said:

This is a good point, and one that I will work on. I don't necessarily have a problem starting from the right... I just don't normally consider doing that. For some reason my brain wants to do it from left to right.

Thanks!

Don't always look for what is faster for pistols.   Look what's fastest for the stage.     Some things may cost you half a second with pistols but save you a second with the shotgun.   The great thing about gf is it opens up opportunities that others may not get.  Try to always evaluate the stage with an open mind. It will make a huge difference in your times.

Archived