SASS Wire Forum

Why is a chink?

Alpo

Chaps go from your hip to your instep. Their original purpose was to protect the lower leg (knee to foot) when riding through brush.

Chinks go from your hip to just below the knee. What is their purpose?

42 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Chinks go from your hip to just below the knee. What is their purpose?

The purpose of Chinks is to make the women scream at one of them 'Chippendale'

parties.    Atleast thats what TN Williams told me..... :o

..........Widder

• It is thought that chinks descended from the Spanish vaquero leg covering known as armitas, which means “little armor.” Armitas look very similar to chinks, with the leather encasing the leg from the waist to below the knee, and fringe along the edge and beyond the knee. 
    • However, unlike chinks, armitas are made of a softer material, and don’t have any hardware – with just a flap of soft leather around the waist to secure it in place. 
    • The name “chinks” could be descended from chinkaderos, which originally referred to armitas.

They are shorter than chapaderos (chaps).  Easier to get around in.  Came down just over the top of high-shaft boots, which provide protection below the chinks.

As stated, similar are used by blacksmiths and protection while branding calves is coincidental.  I wear them while riding.  If the horse goes down or if you’re in rough brush on horseback, you’ll see the benefit.

Cat Brules

3 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

The were shorter chapaderos (chaps).  Easier to get around in.  Came down just over the top of high-shaft boots, which provide protection below the chinks.

As stated, similar are used by blacksmiths and protection while branding calves is coincidental.  I wear them while riding.  If the horse goes down or if you’re in rough brush on horseback, you’ll see the benefit.

Cat Brules

image.png 

I've also been told that the purpose of the fringe on chinks is to help shoo away flies. I don't know if that was an original part of the design, but seems to have that effect these days.

Archived