SASS Wire Forum

Colt SAA Cloners

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

We all know about Uberti and Pietta.  The names USFA, Armi San Marco and the new Standard Manufacturing ones have been mentioned here from time to time.

But, the longer I am in this game, the more I learn of the existence of other makers of the SAA.    So, is there a definitive list of who all has made copies of the Peacemaker over the years?  Or more accurately, could we come up with a complete list here by working together?   I have a feeling that if I had such a list, I'd start considering obtaining examples of as many of them as I could, just to say I have examples in my collection.

I already regret passing on a vintage Great Western for less than 300 dollars at a local shop.  But what else is out there to keep an eye out for?  I don't mean importers, I mean the actual maker of the different clones.

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

This seems doable.

Didn't American Western Arms(AWA Peacekeeper) get sued for making a copy?

J.P. Sauer & Sohn?

I think AWA got sued by Colt for the name Peacekeeper. They also had another model called The Longhorn. I had both.

Both Beretta and Taurus used to be in the SAA clone business, but no longer make them.  I have a set of Taurus Gaucho's in .45C, stainless, that shoot like champs.  Some folks had trouble with theirs, hence the bad reputations and end of production.  My only regrets are that parts for my Gaucho's are practically non existent.

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

This seems doable.

Didn't American Western Arms(AWA Peacekeeper) get sued for making a copy?

J.P. Sauer & Sohn?

36 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I think AWA got sued by Colt for the name Peacekeeper. They also had another model called The Longhorn. I had both.

Yes. They didn't get sued for making the clone, as the patent is long expired. They got sued for trademark infringement. Between the name Peacekeeper being too close to Peacemaker coupled with the markings and even the grips being way too close in design.

I have this Hamerli Virginian in 45C that was imported by Interarms in the 70s. It was built in Switzerland. Shoots real nice, especially after I put a lighter hammer spring in. I used a Wolf spring kit designed for Uberti clones.

DSC_0326.JPG

DSC_0327.JPG

5 minutes ago, Bobtown Cooter said:

I have this Hamerli Virginian in 45C that wat imported by Interarms in the 70s. It was built in Switzerland. Shoots real nice, especially after I put a lighter hammer spring in.

DSC_0326.JPG

DSC_0327.JPG

Nice! There are quite a few Mexican and European clones out there. This is a cool thread

wow , im appreciating this thread , i 'need' another - i know what to look for , not buying a colt in this arena , i have a SS tauras SAA , i love that one and would pick up another if i found one , 

15 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Arminius mfg. by Weihrauch imported bi F.I.E. (Top revolver in photo)

(also make the Bounty Hunter imported by E.A.A.)

44s 3a.jpg

PWB, it's driving me crazy, what is scrimshawed(?) on the F.I.E. grip? I keep looking at it and can't figure it out.

51 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

PWB, it's driving me crazy, what is scrimshawed(?) on the F.I.E. grip? I keep looking at it and can't figure it out.

Howling (pale) wolf:

image.png

Archived