SASS Wire Forum

Pronunciation

Tyrel Cody

17 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Why does knife have a K?

The feller what invented the Knife also had a Knat for a pet.

:lol:

I think I'm write....rite....right.

..........Widder

Where does the word "chinks" come from?

Chaps is a shortening of the Spanish word chapaderos. Many Spanish words are pronounced different from how they would be pronounced in English. José, for example, is pronounced Hosay. In this case the Spanish word chapadero is pronounced shahpahdayro, and the short version is shap.

But why are mini chaps "chinks"? If you know where the term came from, then you can probably determine the root word, which should explain the pronunciation.

And yes, I'm pretty sure you were just making a joke.

1 minute ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Their There yule you'll get it write right rite

2 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Is a KNAT anything like a GNAT?

Really? It's pronounced "Shaps"?

I did not know that. I will still call them CHaps. Mrs Lively spent a lot of time teaching me Phonics. I will honor her by continuing to utilize her teachings. ;)

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I did not know that. I will still call them CHaps. Mrs Lively spent a lot of time teaching me Phonics. I will honor her by continuing to utilize her teachings. ;)

http://www.cowboyway.com/What/WhatAreChinks.htm

Pronouncing Chinks and Chaps

"Chinks" are pronounced pretty much the same way they are spelled, with a hard "ch" sound as in "cherry" or "chipmunk." Chaps, on the other hand, are pronounced with a soft "ch" which means they are pronounced "shaps."

• It is thought that chinks descended from the Spanish vaquero leg covering known as armitas, which means “little armor.” Armitas look very similar to chinks, with the leather encasing the leg from the waist to below the knee, and fringe along the edge and beyond the knee. 
    • However, unlike chinks, armitas are made of a softer material, and don’t have any hardware – with just a flap of soft leather around the waist to secure it in place. 
    • The name “chinks” could be descended from chinkaderos, which originally referred to armitas.

Assuming Utah Bob's info about Chinks descending down from the Spanish Chinkaderos is correct, similar to Chaps descending down from the Spanish Chapadero, why ISN'T CHinks pronounced SHinks?

Or doesn't anyone really give a chit about the CHinks/Shinks, CHaps/SHaps inconsistency?

Angus

p.s. Tyrel started it!

2 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

??????  Now I'm confused  :blink:

I figured you wouldn't need a translation being from Mississippi

CM DUCKS -> See them ducks

MR NOT DUCKS -> Them are not ducks

OSAR CM WANGS -> Oh yes they are, see them wings

LIB MR DUCKS -> Well I'll be them are ducks

That originally came from a Visual Basic for Beginners book published around 1982.

To + too + two + 2 = eight, ate and 8. This is not to be confused with seven X three equals twenty one. Which (Witch) brings us back to Two X twenty one = 42.

Therefore, 42 is the answer.

50 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

To + too + two + 2 = eight, ate and 8. This is not to be confused with seven X three equals twenty one. Which (Witch) brings us back to Two X twenty one = 42.

Therefore, 42 is the answer.

I hate word problems.  Just give me the "goesintas"

On 2/26/2020 at 6:51 AM, Tequila Shooter said:

Why does knife have a K?

probably has the letter “K” the current English spelling as a hold-over from the spelling of its original German or French or etc. root word.

Cat Brules

19 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy

How much is two plus four times two?

Best

CR

That depends:

(two plus four) times two equals twelve

two plus (four times two) equals ten

NOTE:

Easier to understand the translation when using " 'em " instead of " them "

ICM - I see 'em

2+4x2=10 because in a number problem, unless there are brackets showing which numbers to do first, multiplication and division come first. You would first multiply 4 x 2, getting 8, then add 2, getting 10.

But TWO PLUS FOUR TIMES TWO - that's a word problem. Depends on how you say it. If you say TWO --- PLUS FOUR TIMES TWO, the answer is ten, but if you say TWO PLUS FOUR -- TIMES TWO, the answer is twelve. Depends on where you put your hesitations.

Hippo 1.jpg

On 2/26/2020 at 8:11 AM, Alpo said:

Where does the word "chinks" come from?

Chaps is a shortening of the Spanish word chapaderos. Many Spanish words are pronounced different from how they would be pronounced in English. José, for example, is pronounced Hosay. In this case the Spanish word chapadero is pronounced shahpahdayro, and the short version is shap.

But why are mini chaps "chinks"? If you know where the term came from, then you can probably determine the root word, which should explain the pronunciation.

And yes, I'm pretty sure you were just making a joke.

I never heard of chinks when I was growing up.. Never heard it until I came back state-side the last time.

I got one for you: I went down to the local cowboy store to buy a cord to tie my hat down in the wind.  Kid there told me they were called "stampede strings".  Now I never heard that term until I joined SASS and I'll bet the rent that there isn't one cowboy or cowboy wanna be out of many thousands in this country who ever saw a real honest to John Wayne stampede.  I was in one once...had maybe thirty cattle running from a diesel truck.  AS soon as the truck passed, maybe 45 seconds later, the cows went back to being cows.  Slow, stupid, and good to eat and wear.

The whole "stampede string" and "wild rag" idiocy. Can't you just see a bunch of trail drivers just brought a herd up to Abilene from somewhere in south Texas.

Slim says to Tex, "Let's head on over to the saloon, and get us some red eye, and maybe can hang on to a purty lady".

Tex says, "Naw, I'm gonna go over to the mercantile and get me a stampede string and a new wild rag". :rolleyes::wacko:

It's a chin strap and a neckerchief. B)

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 12:43 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

"Chaps" are English men, chaps (shaps) are leather covering you wear on your legs.

Me a few yrs ago.jpg

Archived