SASS Wire Forum

New to sport

Bing O

Howdy yall,

Im new to the sport and i am trying to buy a rifle. Id prefer a winchester 1873 in .38. I've found an individual selling a rifle with a short stroke and action job by Don Jones. Im curious if anybody can speak to his reputation and credibility of his work.

Thanks,

Bingo

Welcome to the best game there is.

I agree with Lumpy if you haven't been to a match, go there first.

As to Don Jones, that is Cody Conagher's real name and he does excellent action work. http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/?fbclid=IwAR19ujTADOVhpJv6gtkzAt5TneLT994f12HD8pfFHlYpde3BYNrZWOd1G4A

Rifle have stock drop.

Each year of rifle has a different stock drop.

Find what fits you.

Lump Gritz said to get to a few matches and talk to everyone and tell them you are there because you want to be invovles.

Make sure to let them know you are looking for what guns yu want to get.

I would say if you do this, there will be some one (or more) offer up their guns for your to try.

Now, I do not have 73 but I have handled many over the years of being a commercial reloader for this sport.

You have your eue on a fine rifle.

But make sure it fits you so you do not spend money on something you may have to sell or trade.

Example:

1873 stock drop is the guide line I will use here.

1866 has 1: more drop than 73.

1860 henry has almost 2" more drop than 73.

To shoot a 1860, you have to stand straight up to see the sights.

The 1866 you can lean over a little to see the sights.

The 1873 you will lean forward more and have your cheek down on the stock to get the sight picture.

Cody Conagher (aka Don Jones) is actually a trained, Certified gunsmith.

His business name is The Cowboy Shop (West Virginia)
email:   cody6986@frontier.com

phone:   (304) 258-1516

I can recommend Don Jones (Cody Conagher)

There are also other people/companies who sell, modify and “set up” various rifles and revolvers and shotguns for Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS).   Many of them specialize.

I suggest that you dig into the sport more and attend some monthly matches, ask questions, etc., before you buy any guns or other large expenditure items.

BE CAUTIOUS buying guns from anyone, anyplace, on the Internet, including the SASS Wire.  Know your own State/Local gun laws.

Cat Brules

Welcome to the sport. Most of us did not take the advice you have been given to attend matches, try any and all offered guns and dont spend until you have more knowledge . We have survived the collective wrath of our spouses and amassed a large collection of sorta-suitable guns we now use for backups, trade material and curios. If money is a NON issue you may want to join us.  Anyway , now go get yourself a good hat.

Imis

+100 on what everyone else has said, go to some matches, try some guns and ask questions.  You may not want what you think you want.  When I started I wanted a 1894 in .45 Colt.  It's a fine gun and I enjoy shooting it, but I quickly found that it ejects brass forward which meant I lost a lot of brass.  After just a few matches I was looking for a new rifle.  Same thing with the SG, found a beautiful hammered CZ, looked great, but you needed a come-a-long to pull the hammers back.  Lost money on that one when I traded it for a more useable gun.  Folks will help and give advice just ask.

Thank your for the input everybody. I should have prefaced this by saying I am RELATIVELY new. I've been going to the monthly matches at a couple different locations over the course of the last 4 months.  I've got about 7 matches under my belt (actually under a borrowed belt) shooting an array of firearms. The 73 is by far my favorite. I really like the lever safety on it because I tend to hit the trigger before I close the lever. This has caused a few misfires on the 66 and I know it can lead to even bigger problems. I also feel comfortable the the stock drop as I really lean into my shots. My old vaqueros are .38s as well so I went to keep my ammunition consistent at least while I'm starting out.

I fully agree with all previous posters to get your hands on and try a lot of different firearms before you buy anything. On the other hand, can you really go wrong with a 73 in .38, especially if it's tuned by Cody Conagher?  :ph34r:  I'd buy it if it's a good offer and the rifle is in good condition.

Edit: I'm typing too slow, just saw your answer. In that case, I would buy this 73 if it doesn't have any issues (but I always wonder why someone would sell a good gun, imho there can be just two reasons: quitting the game or changing the caliber, but probably I'm wrong)

Equanimous

For those who don't know Bing O, this kid is going to be a really good shooter very soon.  I've shot with him a few times with the Panhandle Cattle Company.  He has some very good mentors in the Pensacola area.  He has really taken to shooting Gunfighter style, and is quite accomplished for such relatively short time in the saddle.  I'm glad that he has joined us here in Chipley.

52 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

For those who don't know Bing O, this kid is going to be a really good shooter very soon.  I've shot with him a few times with the Panhandle Cattle Company.  He has some very good mentors in the Pensacola area.  He has really taken to shooting Gunfighter style, and is quite accomplished for such relatively short time in the saddle.  I'm glad that he has joined us here in Chipley.

That's good enough for me.

1 hour ago, Bing O said:

Thank your for the input everybody. I should have prefaced this by saying I am RELATIVELY new. I've been going to the monthly matches at a couple different locations over the course of the last 4 months.  I've got about 7 matches under my belt (actually under a borrowed belt) shooting an array of firearms. The 73 is by far my favorite. I really like the lever safety on it because I tend to hit the trigger before I close the lever. This has caused a few misfires on the 66 and I know it can lead to even bigger problems. I also feel comfortable the the stock drop as I really lean into my shots. My old vaqueros are .38s as well so I went to keep my ammunition consistent at least while I'm starting out.

Can't go wrong with the '73.  Now on to the shotgun!

25 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

That's good enough for me.

Can't go wrong with the '73.  Now on to the shotgun!

Tequila shooter, I've actually got a stoeger coach gun right now. I did some sanding on the articulating surfaces, disengaged the safety, and lightened the spring. I want to do some more work on it, however I have to keep it stored off base so I havent the time to work on it very often

Also, ignore comments like "...now go buy yourself a good hat...", a hat is NOT required.  In fact, some hats are not legal for wear at a SASS match... (sanctioned matches, State & above).  As one that has now had 10+ surgeries to remove skin cancers, invest in some sunblock.

14 hours ago, Griff said:

Also, ignore comments like "...now go buy yourself a good hat...", a hat is NOT required.  In fact, some hats are not legal for wear at a SASS match... (sanctioned matches, State & above).  As one that has now had 10+ surgeries to remove skin cancers, invest in some sunblock.

Hey now, don't be pickin' on our good umbrella/shade tree pard Imis'; he means well and there ain't nothing wrong with a good SASS legal cowboy hat ;)

But yes, sunblock is a must unless your range is in the woods. I have Vitiligo myself and know darn well the importance of good sunblock.

Bing O, Welcome to the best game and folks goin.

Like many already said--get to a match or two and try out some rifles to see what YOU like. Pards are very gracious about letting newbies try them out. Also, in just my opinion, don't disregard a JM Marlin 1894.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

On 2/26/2020 at 6:00 AM, Bing O said:

Sounds like you are setup fine. I have a Cody-Matic as well. It will serve you well and probably be the only rifle you'll ever need again in this game. And like other's have said, you can always sell it at some point and probably be out very little, if anything at all. Good score. Now get out there and start shooting.

Archived