SASS Wire Forum

Anatolian Shepherd

Trigger Mike

That’s probably a great price for a purebred dog.  It’s likely a token price, anyway

BUT, it’s gonna be like a free horse......there is no such thing  as “free”.

The dog is too big!  It will weigh 90 to 100+ pounds (like any big herding dog). It will cost a fortune to maintain ($3.00/day could be right, but may be a low or very low guess number), and at the age of 18 months to 2 years, you’ll be trying to give it away, but you won’t be able to.  

you won’t be able to go on trips very easily, and kennel bills will cost a lot.

The dog will revert your its protective instincts and may threaten people she doesn’t know who come near or in contact to you.  If you have kids, she may be overly protective of the kids and the family.  She’s really too big to be in the house, but won’t be happy without company.  The dog could be aggressive to strangers, and attack if it feels that she or her family unit are threatened.  A friend’s affectionate hug to you or a family member could trigger an attack by a large, protective herd dog.

I could go on, but I won’t.  My neighbor has a female Great Pyrenees, but they have a 7-acre area fenced off and 6 sheep that It looks after and protects.

Okay, so in short, I advise you to pass on getting this large dog, but you know your situation better than anyone, and you don’t need to justify anything you decide to me or anyone else.

Cat Brules

The Anatolian Shepherd Dog is a breed of dog that originated in Turkey; named after the peninsula of Anatolia which forms a large portion of Turkey's national territory. The dog is rugged, large, and very strong, with good sight and hearing that allow it to protect livestock. Wikipedia

Life expectancy: 13 – 15 years
Height: Female: 28–31 inches (71–79 cm), Male: 29–32 inches (74–81 cm)
Weight: Female: 88–120 lbs (40–55 kg), Male: 110–140 lbs (50–65 kg)

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/lifestyle/8-facts-about-the-anatolian-shepherd-dog/

Image result for Anatolian Shepherd

Image result for Anatolian Shepherd

I was planning on putting it in my goat fence as dogs killed 2 of my goats and wounded 2 others causing a miscarriage.   I have foxes and coyotes and have neighbors who let their pit bull run free.  I am curious about the expense you mentioned.   Is it due to health issues?  I read that it may be prone to anesthesia but I don't know what that is. 

57 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Ha! I gotta say, the photo edit was kinda like Adam puttin' on a fig leaf. I wouldn't have thought anything about it if it wasn't there. Now I'm wondering what the dog in the top picture has that the one on the bottom doesn't! 

13 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I read that it may be prone to anesthesia but I don't know what that is. 

A gas which renders people and animals unconscious, usually for a surgical procedure.

I'd be a little worried about that censored photograph. Never seen that before. Must be something they don't want to disclose...

5 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Ha! I gotta say, the photo edit was kinda like Adam puttin' on a fig leaf. I wouldn't have thought anything about it if it wasn't there. Now I'm wondering what the dog in the top picture has that the one on the bottom doesn't! 

A tattoo that says “Welcome to Jamaica! Have a nice day”. :lol:

It would be a wonderful dog to protect your livestock.  They do need a good bit of socializing and eat a LOT. If you have the space they are excellent dogs. I know a couple of sheep herders who have them in the area. Love them.

If you want to try protecting your goats with a dog the Anatolian is the way to go.  I live in the TX hill country, some of my neighbors use Anatolians and Pyrenees and they swear by those dogs.  I have been told you should keep interaction with them to a minimum if you want them to stay with the heard.  In my opinion the dogs seem to work really well for people that do not live on their property full time. 

In my experience the best predator control is done by the ranchers that live on their property full time and are religious about setting snares and traps. 

11 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I was planning on putting it in my goat fence as dogs killed 2 of my goats and wounded 2 others causing a miscarriage.   I have foxes and coyotes and have neighbors who let their pit bull run free.  I am curious about the expense you mentioned.   Is it due to health issues?  I read that it may be prone to anesthesia but I don't know what that is. 

Well, in that case: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/lifestyle/8-facts-about-the-anatolian-shepherd-dog/  

1. They Were Bred to Guard Flocks From Predators

The Anatolian Shepherd Dog is a livestock guardian dog, meaning he is in charge of watching over a flock and protecting the defenseless animals from predators. In modern-day Turkey, where the breed originated, Anatolian Shepherd Dogs are still used to guard flocks and property.

2. This Is an Ancient Breed

Artifacts dating back to 2000 B.C. describe a dog in the Anatolian region that fits the description of the Anatolian Shepherd Dog: large and strong with a heavy head. The “Book of Job,” which is set in Turkey and dates back to 1800 B.C., describes these large dogs living among the flocks.

3. They Know How to Survive on Their Own

Anatolians are extremely independent. They often had to find their own food, so they survived by hunting gophers and other small animals. Their instinct is to take care of themselves and the flock without needing instruction.

6. They Protect Endangered Species in America

Anatolian Shepherd Dogs didn't really gain popularity in America until the Endangered Species Act (ESA) was passed in 1973. The ESA posed a problem: How do we control livestock predators that are now protected species and cannot be killed? The solution was to use livestock guardian dogs like the Anatolian Shepherd Dog, which can easily deter predators from attacking flocks simply by being present.

7. They Also Protect Cheetahs in Namibia

Anatolians have been aiding in the cheetah conservation effort in Namibia since 1994. One of the reasons the cheetah population declined so significantly was that ranchers were killing cheetahs to protect their livestock. So Namibia's Cheetah Conservation Fund started a program to encourage ranchers to use Anatolian Shepherd Dogs to protect their flocks, reducing the need to kill cheetahs. The Anatolians have reduced livestock losses by 80 to 100 percent on farms with guard dogs, and the strategy has been extremely beneficial to the cheetah conservation effort.

The expense, I expect, is just the cost of feeding them.

3 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Does it come with a saddle and bridle?

Dog's backs CAN NOT handle weight like a horse's back can.  They have the wrong musculature and bone structure.

Please do not put young children or similar loads on dogs, even big dogs.  Long odds you will cripple the dog for life.

Duffield

21 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Get a tan colored one so you can put a wig on him. :o

Image result for dog lion wig

That'll get the attention of trespassers. :D

That's a whole lot of dog.

If it takes putting a wig on one to get somebody's attention, they weren't paying much attention in the first place.

Mike,

A whole lot of dog's gonna take a whole lot of owner, too.  Know what you are getting into for your- and the dog's- sake.

Just now, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Start trapping and shooting the canines. Or maybe look around for someone that traps and allow them to trap your property. It won't take long to establish harmony on the TM Ranch.

Catahoula and black mouth curs are fine dogs to keep predators at bay. Well tempered, good family dogs. Not overly large. My experience, not spastic like jack russels, clingy like labs or overly aggressive like some of the cattle dog breeds. 

Our neighbor lets  harlequin great dane run the roads. That's a $1000-1500 lesson waiting to happen.....

19 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Get yourself a donkey.  They are great at protecting cattle, goats, and sheep.  They'll stomp the snot out of dogs, coyotes, and foxes.  Compared to a very large dog, donkeys are very low maintenance.  Plus you can go out of town for a day or so and they do just fine on their own.

One other thought mentioned was a visitor who hugged me might get attacked by the dog, no one ever comes to see me so I probably won't have to worry about that. 

A plus side of the donkey is my 10 year old son wants me to get one so he can dress like festus on Halloween and ride the donkey to trick or treating. 

I say get both donkeys and the Anatolian. I live in a part of Texas known to have cougars, bobcats, coyotes, and rattlesnakes. Donkeys actually keep out the snakes as well. Anatolians are great protectors and very loyal, and mine would only be aggressive towards people I didn’t allow into my property. 200 is a great price if it is already a working dog. I haven’t had any problems with predators in the least bit since having them, except for a skunk that she apparently enjoys playing with.... As far as upkeep for the dog, it really isn’t bad at all. Go for it. 

what will the shepherd do with snakes?  Yes this is a dog already working with a pack my friend has in his pen.  He says he will see if another fiend has a female as they do better paired.  his female that is not the males mom has health issues and he said he would not recommend that she have pups.  

Archived