SASS Wire Forum

boots for non-boot wearer?

heckofagator

Hoping to start shooting in matches soon - I'd like to be able to eventually dress somewhat period correct.

But living in FL, I'm in flip flops and slides most of the time, sometimes sneakers and then the occasional dress shoe if I really have to.  So, high cowboys boots are out.  I'd prefer something like a work boot, perhaps, that just covered the ankle?  Is there anything, with reasonable cost, that might work well?

I wear boots like these:

image.png.dc383199597195f859a0928ebbef16ae.png

Even our local hyper-vigilant, self-appointed costume Nazi accepts them.  They cost a little over $100.  BTW, CAS is not particularly period correct or there would not be a B-Western category.

Lots of folks wear lace up boots.  Just about any all leather shoe would be legal.  There are only two specialized categories that require “cowboy boots”.

Get to a local match and talk to folks.  Lots of good clubs in Florida.

Who said you have to wear boots? 

And, who said that they only wore boots back in the period?

There are a lot of shoe/boot options available.

You might like some Chukka boots/shoes. I would suggest you stay away from ones with leather soles, however.

NO!!   As far as I’m concerned.  You can buy lace-up “Western” boots that look like (pretty much) the “work boot” pictured.

BUT,

I suggest you go to a western clothing store, or a boot shop and at least try on a pair of Ariat “roper”-type boots.  They pull on, have an approximately 10” or 12” shaft and either a 1” walking heel (my preference) or a 2” Western heel.  Most ha a spur ledge, as well.  Pick your exact size and width.  In my opinion, Ariat boots are the best fitting, most comfortable boots around.  Fairly reasonably priced, as well.

Cat Brules

My good pard @Ruff Kut reccomend these memory foam  Skechers:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IV398K6/ref=dp_cerb_1

I'm thinking about getting some myself.

I also agree with Cat Brules, Ariat Ropers or Ariat Lacers are awesome.

53 minutes ago, heckofagator said:

Hoping to start shooting in matches soon - I'd like to be able to eventually dress somewhat period correct.

But living in FL, I'm in flip flops and slides most of the time, sometimes sneakers and then the occasional dress shoe if I really have to.  So, high cowboys boots are out.  I'd prefer something like a work boot, perhaps, that just covered the ankle?  Is there anything, with reasonable cost, that might work well?

Hey heckofa, where is Florida do you live?  Have you gone and watched any matches yet?  I can get you ntouch with the Match Directors in your area if you would like. We have the second most clubs in any state so I am sure there is a club within 90 minutes of you.  The best way to learn is to go out and talk to shooters directly.  

Near st. Pete.  I've seen the group up at Wyoming Antelope Club shoot, only thing is my 13 year old is doing the junior clinic they have at the same time and same Sat of the month.  I figure a couple more months with him and hopefully he'd be good with letting me go a couple of bays down with the cowboys and cowgirls

7 minutes ago, heckofagator said:

Near st. Pete.  I've seen the group up at Wyoming Antelope Club shoot, only thing is my 13 year old is doing the junior clinic they have at the same time and same Sat of the month.  I figure a couple more months with him and hopefully he'd be good with letting me go a couple of bays down with the cowboys and cowgirls

Ok so you have met Moog then I assume.  There is also a club in Ruskin that shoots the 4th Sunday and one in Brooksville that shoots the 1st Sunday.  And then in Eustis about 2 hours away and they shoot on the 3rd Saturday.  

6 minutes ago, heckofagator said:

I've watched from the back for a bit and have talked to a couple of the guys.... Yes all super nice. 

Ruskin might not be that far away. 

Been googling boots.  Those Ariat Heritage Lacers look real nice..... 

Moog runs the St Pete club and Shelleen runs Ruskin.  Let me know if you want their contact info and I will get you set up with them.

I am a native Floridian and had never worn a pair of cowboy boots before CAS.  I found that Durangos with XXX insoles are very comfortable.  I was having problems with the Tony Lamas I had before.  Just my experience so far.

39 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I watched a video of a rather rustic lady shooting barefoot.  Lot tougher than I!  I can't walk across a gritty lanolin barefoot. 

That might be Half-a-Hand Henri.  She shoots barefoot in the land of cactus and goatheads and she is in the SASS Hall of Fame.  I used to shoot with her in Magdalena before that club shut down.

2 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

Just about any all leather shoe would be legal.  There are only two specialized categories that require “cowboy boots”.

Get to a local match and talk to folks.  Lots of good clubs in Florida.

Yep, only two categories require boots. Shoes...I can't wear boots so I wear my Red Wing oxfords, have a pair of cap toes for dress-up;). Or you could just go barefoot and shirtless with rolled up bibs and a stove top hat:o Might look like one of Fetus Hagans cousins:wacko:...."Nobody" would know the difference.:unsure: Good Luck:)

Generally your roper boots have the lower shaft and only the straight cut 1” heel. As the name suggests they are preferred by the cowboy who has to roper the steer then jump off the horse and tie him up. The heel gives them more stability and comfort and less likely to turn an ankle during all the activity. That being said most people find them much more comfortable to the traditional cowboy boy with the higher under slung heel. 

Ok, get those.  I wear them, and it sounds like you might wear them, too.

CB

20 hours ago, heckofagator said:

I've watched from the back for a bit and have talked to a couple of the guys.... Yes all super nice. 

Ruskin might not be that far away. 

Been googling boots.  Those Ariat Heritage Lacers look real nice..... 

My first pair lasted 8 years. The insoles are replaceable and only cost about 18. I wore mine until the soles wore through then bought another pair.

ive worn a pair of basic ropers for years , im going to a traditional cowboy boot this year unless it proves a problem for my feet but my experience has been that cowboy boots properly fitted are about as comfortable as it gets , i have worn work boots most of my life from college to working but they have always while comfortable left me wanting in the style department , 

Archived