SASS Wire Forum

Which, if any, .31 C&B revolvers are legal for main match?

Three Foot Johnson

SHB pg 39

Revolver Calibers
- Must be centerfire calibers of at least .32 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber or percussion calibers of at least .36 caliber and no larger than .45 caliber.
- Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers. Examples include, but are not limited to, .32-20, .32 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, .44 Magnum, .44- 40, and .45 Colt.

7 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

But with a .32 acp cylinder?

At that point, it is no longer a .31 C&B revolver.

Depends on the model revolver & barrel length (i.e. pocket pistols are not legal for main match use).

Does .32acp comply with "Must be in a caliber commonly available in revolvers" ?

Seems I recall fairly recently, the past three years or so anyway, some talk on here about a .31 from Uberti or Pietta that was either factory chambered in .32 acp or had a conversion cylinder...?

Say, a 6" 1849 with a .32 acp conversion cylinder - The glossary of terms defines "commonly available" as "Obtainable by anyone given ordinary circumstances with ordinary means." So, as the conversion cylinder is/was a factory manufactured item, and not a custom made one-off item, it certainly fits the glossary definition of commonly available, as does .32acp ammo/brass/bullets. I think .32 cylinders were/are also available for the 1895 Nagant revolver, a pistol that  is specifically allowed in its single action configuration.

No, I've got no intention of doing this. ;)

Has anyone “mic’d” a .31 caliber percussion  ball or slug, versus a .32 caliber cartridge slug (bullet)?  And, would doing so even matter?

Cat Brules

Dixie states the Uberti 1849 bore is spec'd at .310", with grooves @ .332", so a bullet should be sized .332 - .333, actually a bit loose for a normal .32 bullet. A .32-20 or .32 H&R mag takes a .312-.313" bullet.

Once you install a conversion cylinder in a percussion pistol, it is no longer governed by C&B rules but, has to comply with the rules for cartridge revolvers.

So the question I believe you want an answer to is whether or not 32 ACP is a legal cartridge for SASS.

Once that is answered then it becomes a question of whether or not the revolver in question meets the definition of a main match revolver.

My ruger .32 mags will fire 32 acp all day long.   Just lay a .32 acp on a flat surface and you will find there is a bit of a rim on the case.   in fact if you had a .327 you can fire .327,  32 mag,  32 long, 32 sw and 32 auto.  Bullett 19707

A "semi-rimmed" case - causes problems sometimes with "rim lock" in pocket autos if they're a little short and not stacked in the mag right.

I was reading up on the 1849 conversion cylinders, and they may have actually been .32 S&W instead of .32 acp. Looks like they were discontinued about 5 years or so back.

Archived