SASS Wire Forum

Depriming Brass Shotshells without a Die

Tequila Shooter

I've got to start de-priming my brass shotshells.  I don't have a single stage press so that's out, so are there any tricks you'd be willing to pass along?  I did a couple with just a pick and a hammer and putting the shell in a vice.  Is there a better way?  What do you suggest instead of a vice, I don't want to get the shells out of round.

Thanks for all the knowledge and support. 

I hold the shell in my left hand, holding the punch in place inside the shell with the fingers of that hand (easier to do than to describe).  Then tap the end of the punch with a small mallet, holding the shell over a box so the old primer falls into the box.

I use to use a simple Maple bock.  Drilled the block Forstner Bit to accept the Brass Hull about 1/4 of an inch Down.  Then I drilled a centered hole larger than the primer (all the way through).  1/16 inch punch and a hammer.  Very high tech.

Now however, I use a Lee Classic single stage I picked up for peanuts with the RCBS die to de-prime and Prime.

7 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I use to use a simple Maple bock.  Drilled the block Forstner Bit to accept the Brass Hull about 1/4 of an inch Down.  Then I drilled a centered hole larger than the primer (all the way through).  1/16 inch punch and a hammer.  Very high tech.

Now however, I use a Lee Classic single stage I picked up for peanuts with the RCBS die to de-prime and Prime.

I have a friend that made the same type of set up.  Works like a charm.

I'm more hi tech, I put the shell over a 3/8's drive socket and tap the primer out with a 1/16" punch.  The socket collects the spent primers for me :rolleyes:

Punch Over a block of some sort with a hole works fine. 

Be double sure to NEVER try to deprime a live primer this way!  I had a hull with a live primer get mixed in. Set my punch, whacked it with a hammer and POP goes the primer. Drove a piece of shrapnel into my thumb (that was holding the punch) also singed my fingers a bit! My wife was convinced one of the USS Texas 14” guns had gone off in the house. She was pretty upset. Then she saw my drawers and was really upset:o

Well, when I decided to go all brass, I just got the RCBS dies and an single stage press that would accept them.   I eventually got the CH4D dies cuz the RCBS ones don't resize all that well.  Didn't matter when I had only 1 shotgun they went through, but eventually, I found that at depending on which one I fired them in, resizing became necessary.

That's what I recommend.   More up front cost, but well, I think it's worth it.   Kinda like how if I ever get a Winchester 1901, I'll get all the needed stuff for reloading all brass for that gun.   Not cheap at all, but if you wanna shoot that gun, it's gonna cost you anyway.  :)  

Make a holding fixture like the one Colorado Coffinmaker uses. For punching out the actual Make one out of the depriming stem from an unused rifle die. You will need a coupling nut and a regular nut that fit the stem. If the stem is too short buy a bolt with the same threads as the stem and use the coupling nut to join the two together.

It will speed up the process if you make a centering jig out of a piece of HDPE plastic. Cut two circles out of a piece of 3/16 or 1/4 HDPE plastic that are slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the shell. Drill and tap both so that they will thread onto the stem.

Thread one of the HDPE disks onto the stem and all the way to the down till it touches the depriming pin holder. Next thread on the regular nut followed by the second piece of plastic. Now thread on the coupling nut until it lacks a couple of threads before the stem protruds above the nut. Now screw the plastic up till it touches the coupling nut and lock it in place with the regular nut.

If you accidentally set off a live primer the plastic disks should contain any shrapnel and protect your hand.

I do the same as Colorado Coffinmaker: basically: 

I used a piece of 2x4  Drilled the block with a spade bit to accept the Brass Hull about 1/4 of an inch Down.  Then I drilled a centered hole larger than the primer (all the way through). Ice pick and a hammer and a quick whack  Very high tech.

Total cost was reasonable

Hochbauer

29 minutes ago, Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409 said:

I do the same as Colorado Coffinmaker: basically: 

I used a piece of 2x4  Drilled the block with a spade bit to accept the Brass Hull about 1/4 of an inch Down.  Then I drilled a centered hole larger than the primer (all the way through). Ice pick and a hammer and a quick whack  Very high tech.

Total cost was reasonable

Hochbauer

Plus if you let that 2X4 hangover the edge of the bench slightly you can let the spent primers fall into the waste can.

Archived