SASS Wire Forum

Shotshells

Iron Biscuit SASS#108048

I have been using Winchester AAs, but wondered on how the Remington Gun club shells work, specifically, how well they shuck out of a double.  Anyone with experience?

Thanks

Biscuit

They work well in most.... but each gun is different. I’ve used them in SKBs, Stoegers, and LC Smith with no problems. 
An added bonus with Gun Clubs is the hulls work well for reloads, both smokeless and HOLY BLACK! :)

PS..... Winchester 97 will gobble them up like a kid in a candy store as well!

I reload them with black powder for local matches.  They shuck fine from my shotguns.  However, about five years ago I got a batch where the some of the heads would pull off when I opened my shotgun.  Because of this experience I won't use them at a major match.  BTW, I know one champion shooter who won EOT a few times uses Gun Clubs.

Here is a link to an old thread about Gun Club head separation.

They work fine in my experience.

They will shuck well out of my doubles and they can be reloaded multiple times.  

You can find empties everywhere.  I like them better than STS hulls or AA hulls.

Mo

1 hour ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

When I tried them back in '05 or '06 they didn't shuck well consistently for me.

Thanks

Randy

Ya but your older and more experienced now :D:D:D

I bought 4500 Gun Club hulls & then found out my SKB didn't like to shuck them. My SKB 200 likes AA's just fine, but my wife's 200 has too many stick to be able to shoot them. I do all of our reloading with Green STS, BP in Gold STS (Just to know which is which).

Also, Iv'e seen the brass break off of the Gun Club reloads on a semi-regular basis, leaving the unfortunate shooter having to dig the plastic out while trying to complete a stage.

As the Major said, it depends on the gun, so get a few and test them out.

Max, since you have some left, be sure to bring a lot of those to the state match!  :D:D    Purly may need some extra shells as well.  :D

I opened up a couple of cases of AA low recoil recently and found raised sticky print on the shells instead of the smooth printing.  Found myself digging the shells out of my barrels this weekend, until I scraped the print off with my thumbnail.  Anyone know if Winchester is cheaping out and if these are the new norm?  Is it worth it to switch to Remington Gun Club or some other?  

The Rem. Gun Clubs are steel-based hulls, which expand and stay expanded after firing. Some doubles have trouble with them. The Rem. STS's have brass bases which expand and then contract a bit after firing and most doubles love them. The Gun Clubs and STS's reload exactly the same. I only shoot new STS/Nitro's (identical hulls except the color) in my BT-99 trap gun and then use them to either reload for CAS or sell them at 10 cents each. Selling them lowers the cost of STS's to that of Gun Clubs. The STS's use premium shot which does not matter for CAS steel targets, but can make a slight difference in trap.

While I'm rambling, I dump the once-fired hulls into a 5 gallon pail. Once full, I neatly stack them into a large USPS flat rate box which holds approximately 450 hulls. This is something to kill time on a boring rainy/snowy day. 

As further trivia - comparing Winchester AA's to Rem. STS's, the AA's are a 2 piece hull which, in my opinion, is not as good as the 1 piece Remington's, especially for reloading.   

9 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Max, since you have some left, be sure to bring a lot of those to the state match!  :D:D    Purly may need some extra shells as well.  :D

Humm. I can hear him now as he hands me a box of shotgun shells.  " Here shoot these ".

11 hours ago, Clint Steele said:

I opened up a couple of cases of AA low recoil recently and found raised sticky print on the shells instead of the smooth printing.  Found myself digging the shells out of my barrels this weekend, until I scraped the print off with my thumbnail.  Anyone know if Winchester is cheaping out and if these are the new norm?  Is it worth it to switch to Remington Gun Club or some other?  

I had the same issue. Alcohol wipes took it off easily. Many of my AA shells I have are somewhat misshaped so every shell is run through my checker sizer as I put them in my belt. I will be trying STS when these run out. Until then I will be briskly shucking.

There are deals out there for once fired STS. In late '17, I scored a real deal of 2500 for $175 shipped found on Guns America! Still haven't got to the bottom of the box.  I reload smokeless 3 - 4 times, then load BP, shoot once and discard them. Just look often & those "real deals" are out there.

DC

I was collecting all my Gun Club hulls for reloading... then TwoRiversJack gave me a huge back of STS hulls.
Said the brass base is easier to resize in the MEC, than is the steel Gun Club base.

On 2/24/2020 at 9:03 PM, Clint Steele said:

Buy a box of Estate or Gun Club & try in YOUR shotgun. About the only way you'll know for sure.  Or - next shoot get some from a buddy & try.

Archived