SASS Wire Forum

Loading issues

Dean B

I'm new to lever guns and just bought a brand new Rossi 92 in .357. I can push .38 specials in the loading gate as smooth as butter but when I go to load .357s ,they hang. A little bit of force and finagling they will get in. Then if you work the lever to unload them without firing you can see scars and deep scratches in the lead nose. Every thing else about the rifle works fine. It's just trying to get it to eat the Magnum rounds. I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos about smoothing the action and changing springs and not one has mentioned this problem. Is this something I can fix myself or should I send it back to the factory?

The loading gate on a 92 sits slightly above the mag tube. As you feed the bullets in you need to angle them ever so slightly.  You can also hold the rifle at a 45 degree angle with you right hand while pushing the rounds through the loading gate with your left. 

Another thing is to remove the mag tube and with a round file put a VERY SMALL bevel on the top of the opening.

Archived