SASS Wire Forum

Wad cutters legal

Make do

I have a bunch (1000's) of hollow base wad cutters and I noticed a bit in the rule book about bullets being flush with the case mouth as being illegal. I typically seat the wad cutter about 1/4 inch above flush - would that be legal - these are for pistol only and typically they shoot very well. 

Yes.   Leave a little bit of lead above case mouth, and you are good.   (Keep them well away from any magazine-fed rifles, as you know.)

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Make do said:

I have a bunch (1000's) of hollow base wad cutters and I noticed a bit in the rule book about bullets being flush with the case mouth as being illegal. I typically seat the wad cutter about 1/4 inch above flush - would that be legal - these are for pistol only and typically they shoot very well. 

At or above is LEGAL:

Ammunition with bullets recessed below the case mouth is not allowed.   

SHB p.27

If you have a Marlin 1894, it is possible to set the carrier and timing to allow successful usage

of full wadcutters.   When I had my .38 competition, I used a few 000's of them in it with no

issues.

Proper carrier mod is the secret.   Otherwise, you'll feel like you're in Heartbreak City..... ;)

..........Widder

I remember when the rule was implemented, and was present when it was discussed... but... I probably stepped away for another adult beverage, so I don't remember the particulars!  (Something about it not being a "traditional" cowboy era bullet type is tickling at the memory banks...)  Maybe because there's no mechanical grip on the bullet to keep it from telescoping and creating a possible overpressure situation.

I don't remember who made them, but there was a run or three of ammunition loaded commercially for CAS with the bullet set WAY DOWN in the case.  Very light powder change.  Recoil like a .22.  Rules committee jump'd on it like a chubby kid onna twinkie.

PWB,

WHY are these”below-the-case” rim/mouth cartridges illegal?

Is the reason really as CC stated above.  That doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, because I believe you could make similar low-recoil ammo with trimmed cases,  a different, shorter case ammo or a different, lighter caliber, etc.

I might could see at least another possible reason for it, but what's the actual reason for the rule?

Cat Brules

5 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I don't remember who made them, but there was a run or three of ammunition loaded commercially for CAS with the bullet set WAY DOWN in the case.  Very light powder change.  Recoil like a .22.  Rules committee jump'd on it like a chubby kid onna twinkie.

That was NOT the ROC...it was the TG's (see next post)

IIRC, The primary reason for disallowing ammunition with recessed bullets was the difficulty in visually determining whether it was a live/unfired round or an empty casing (e.g. at the ULT)

A few "top guns" (and wannabes) at the time were attempting to achieve lighter loads by loading revolver ammo in that manner.

There was no minimum velocity/power factor rule at the time. (1999)

Motion and second was made to disallow recessed bullet loads.

Motion carried.

This rule does not effect wadcutters or other bullets loaded at or above the case mouth.

? Power Factor
Motion and second was made to not institute a rule specifying a minimum velocity standard.

Motion carried.

Source: 1st TG SUMMIT MEETING MINUTES (1999)

Archived