SASS Wire Forum

1887 Shotgun Work

Texas ShaDi

I recently bought a used Chiappa 1887 that needs the drop 2 mod and whatever else is needed in order to shoot in CAS. Is Lassiter the best?

I have no experience with anyone other than Lassiter on '87s. I'm shooting an IAC he worked on and I just dropped off a Chiappa for him to do his magic on. My 87 has functioned 100% and I can't say that about my '97s or doubles.

Lassiter is certainly the best smith for the 1887, that is what he uses in SASS so he knows how to tune and work the 1887. He also does great work on other SASS guns. Always first rate and honest. I suspect he will come home from Winter Range with a van full of guns to tune up. His work is worth the wait! Also the very best if you have a lightning rifle!

never warmed to one of these , but one day i would like to try one , i try to keep an open mind , i might one day change it , 

i kinda like the tacks , it gives that a western tinge that seems familiar , i saw a lot of old guns in museums with them across the west back in the late 50s and 60s when my family used to vacation and catch historical places as well as the parks before things got so PC , 

I have an early ‘87 clone I got from El Lazo years ago.  He got it from someone else.  I think he let it go because he was already married to his Win ‘97’s and I really thought the ‘87 clone was nice.

It was several years before I even saw another Win’87 clone.  Mine is still in original factory ”stock” condition.  I’ve never had a lick of trouble with it and it loads 2 just fine.  I like the ‘87 shotgun; it has the lines reminiscent of earlier guns.  Mine loosened up, or “broke in,” to feel and function well, in use.

I think only original ‘87 I’ve ever seen was at a monthly match where the owner was shooting black powder reloads through it.  Pretty cool!

Cat Brules

I just got an '87 back from Lassiter this week. Stand up guy and its like a whole new gun. Not sure what he does, but the drop 2 and action work make it a whole lot easier to run as the lever just leaps forward to toss the spent hulls out. Its so damn good, it basically runs itself.

Archived