SASS Wire Forum

I'm having a brain f^rt...

Three Foot Johnson

That's what I figured - I've got a friend with a couple top break Iver Johnsons in .38 S&W, but they're only five holers. I told him I didn't think they were legal for Pocket Pistol with all five loaded. "Really? I've done it several times before."

8 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Don't forget the empty rule on which to rest our hammers. 

I don't have a donkey in this race,

But show me where it says the hammer must rest on a empty chamber in a side match .......

1 hour ago, Tequila Chase said:

Speed load on the clock ;) :lol:

And by that, you mean on the sundial.

12 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I think it is a club rule or rule set for the shoot or even the RO for the event. No universal rule.

Yep, SASS is not a Gestapo on side matches....

....for pocket pistol I have seen- load 5, shoot 5, then load 5 more off the clock and shoot those 5 for a total score or, load 5, shoot 5. Then repeat and keep fastest time of the two runs.

Same for derringer......

Huh... maybe a clarification IS in order. :lol: Lots of 5 shot .38 S&W's out there, and a derringer definitely has a live round under the hammer at the buzzer.

3 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Allright fine, if you want to rest your hammer in between rules, go right ahead. 

Have you ever shot in a long range side match with a single shot rifle?

Or 

Been to a buffalo shoot and operated a single shot rifle?

14 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

I have been to a few three-day matches that are...  

Load all 5 and shoot all five.

Yep, I used one for awhile and it was fine. It was a S&W hammerless safety, 5 rounds.

11 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

Have you ever shot in a long range side match with a single shot rifle?

Or 

Been to a buffalo shoot and operated a single shot rifle?

Yes to the first, but I've never shot a buffalo.  The firing pin never rests on a live round.  You load when you're ready to shoot.  On 2 of my single shots you have to go to half cock to open the breech, then you just go back to full cock on fire.  You never lower the hammer back down.  On the handi rifle you don't have to cock it to open, but it's got an internal safety (either a transfer bar or a rebound spring) that keeps the firing pin away from the blasting cap. 

Dunno what any of that has to do with adding an extra unloaded rule to the passel of rules we were joking about needing. 

19 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

The firing pin never rests on a live round. 

I have various pocket pistols I can load up the cylinder and the firing pin never rest on  a live round either. 

My point was there are many times at a SASS or CAS event when there is a live round under the hammer.

Archived