SASS Wire Forum

Went to my first match to "observe"

razorseal

39 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

But....but.....on the eighth day God and Sam Colt said "Let the barrels have a length of at least 7.5 inches.":P

Style points don't win matches. I like them though.

One thought on Ruger Blackhawks.  They are legal in the “Open Age” category, in all age based categories and in B-Western.  Those categories probably represent the majority of shooters.  That said, there are categories that require fixed sight revolvers, including Duelist, Gunfighter, Classic, and the Frontier Cartridge categories.

When I got started ten years ago, I passed up the opportunity to buy a pair of 50th Anniversary .357 Blackhawks.  I paid a good bit more to acquire Ruger New Vaqueros.  I was shooting in an age based category for several years, thinking that perhaps I should have bought the Blackhawks. Later on, though, I began experimenting with other shooting styles and moved to Gunfighter.  A little later I decided to try black powder.  I was able to move to those categories because I had chosen fixed sight revolvers.

If a new shooter owns Blackhawks, I say “run what you have”.  Similarly if a new shooter finds a deal on Blackhawks, they can be great for the sport.  With all such choices just be informed.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:42 PM, razorseal said:

Interesting. And I thought I'd be at a disadvantage being lefty. I certainly have a competitive side! 

If you are worried about loading the 97 lefty, here is a video of the defending Ladies Florida State Champ running her 97 left handed.  No disadvantage for her or her sister. 

7 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

But....but.....on the eighth day God and Sam Colt said "Let the barrels have a length of at least 7.5 inches.":P

Don't listen to Seamus. You might fall into the wrong crowd, like him & Lassiter!

5 hours ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

If you are worried about loading the 97 lefty, here is a video of the defending Ladies Florida State Champ running her 97 left handed.  No disadvantage for her or her sister. 

I'm pretty sure that Gin can smoke most men and women at any match. She is also one heck of a nice person and that runs in the family.

6 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I'm pretty sure that Gin can smoke most men and women at any match. She is also one heck of a nice person and that runs in the family.

Agreed but it demonstrates that there is no disadvantage to loading a 97 left handed.  

5 minutes ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

Agreed but it demonstrates that there is no disadvantage to loading a 97 left handed.  

I think that it's an advantage and entirely agree with you. 

7 hours ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

What in the world ... where the heck is she getting those shotshells?  There's no way she was holding 4 shells.  Is she a magician in her spare time?  I bet if she went on Penn and Teller's Fools us with that act, she'd win a trophy. 

9 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

What in the world ... where the heck is she getting those shotshells?  There's no way she was holding 4 shells.  Is she a magician in her spare time?  I bet if she went on Penn and Teller's Fools us with that act, she'd win a trophy. 

She's the Florida State Champ for a good reason.  But I do believe she may be part magician...  Those aren't her guns, they are her magic wands. :D

3 minutes ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

She's the Florida State Champ for a good reason.  But I do believe she may be part magician...  Those aren't her guns, they are her magic wands. :D

Did she ever do a video showing her technique?  I'd like to see it in slow mo and from the other angle. 

1 minute ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Did she ever do a video showing her technique?  I'd like to see it in slow mo and from the other angle. 

She did not.  She used to make a bunch of promotional type videos and I am sure you have seen at least a few of them.  But she retired from making videos a few years ago.  Here is one of her videos 

PS

I'd like to say more about Blackhawks. There is no category* that you cannot shoot with .45 fixed sights. There are several you cannot shoot with Blackhawks. There is only one category (Classic Cowboy) that you cannot shoot with .38 fixed sights.

*This generalization excludes Frontiersman, which must be shot with cap and ball (percussion) revolvers.

Let me know if I'm wrong (I'm sure someone will try ;)! )

PS Don't ask me how to win a match. Oh, I take that back. You must practice and have agility (or is it dexterity).

Archived