SASS Wire Forum

Do they mark coffins?

Alpo

Not the grave - the coffin?

The second Bob Lee Swagger book. He's exhuming his father. When they tried the first time it was the wrong grave. When they get the second one dug up, their forensic pathologist says that "at least this coffin looks like it was from the 50s" (previous one was cedar, from the war of 1861), and then he asked if Bob remember the name of the mortuary. He did and the pathologist, looking at the coffin, says "yes that matches, and your daddy's name was Earl?", so apparently the coffin had both the mortuary name on it and the deceased's.

May we ask?  

Why do YOU ask? :mellow:                   :rolleyes:

Cat Brules

The one's I have made carved in the name along with florials etc..

Uh oh!!

Alpo has a diff’rnt book, sounds like!

Seriously though, when one of my relatives passed away, the funeral home put an engraved brass plate on his coffin, with his full name, dob and dod, and with brass screws.  I never saw that before.  But then, I never thought to look before, either.

Anyway, I thought it was a very nice touch.

Cat Brules

8 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

At funeral parlor:

”For a small fee [$5000] we will include a uniquely engraved marker on the casket so that your loved one will.........”

.....Keep receiving their mail? 

11 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Alpo has a diff’rnt book, sounds like!

Why yes. Yes he does. Alpo is what is known as a voracious reader. He finished the Alistair MacLean book that he was reading yesterday, and is now reading a Stephen Hunter book. When he finishes that - undoubtedly sometime early tomorrow - he will start to read something else. He is contemplating an Ellery Queen book, since he is not read any Ellery Queen in 3 or 4 years. Or maybe some Michael Crichton. Maybe some Elmore Leonard. Jesse Stone maybe. Anne McCaffrey. Lovejoy, Twain, maybe a little Stephen King or Robert Howard. He has a large library.

Polar Bear 2.jpg

10 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Why yes. Yes he does. Alpo is what is known as a voracious reader. He finished the Alistair MacLean book that he was reading yesterday, and is now reading a Stephen Hunter book. When he finishes that - undoubtedly sometime early tomorrow - he will start to read something else. He is contemplating an Ellery Queen book, since he is not read any Ellery Queen in 3 or 4 years. Or maybe some Michael Crichton. Maybe some Elmore Leonard. Jesse Stone maybe. Anne McCaffrey. Lovejoy, Twain, maybe a little Stephen King or Robert Howard. He has a large library.

Polar Bear 2.jpg

Alpo,, have you read any of Clayton Lindemuth books about the old moonshiner? I just finished his third one in the moonshiner series and it was a thriller to say the least. I’m a Stephen Hunter fan also but these Lindemuth books are something different and hard to put down.

You was talkin' about them the other day, and I picked up a copy of MY BROTHER'S DESTROYER, which I believe is the second one?

Haven't looked at it yet, but it's in the lineup.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

You was talkin' about them the other day, and I picked up a copy of MY BROTHER'S DESTROYER, which I believe is the second one?

Haven't looked at it yet, but it's in the lineup.

My Brothers Destroyer is book number 1 and it’s the right one to start with otherwise the others won’t make that much sense. Let me know what you think, they keep getting better. Don’t read the third one at bedtime, not conducive to a good nights sleep.

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

At funeral parlor:

”For a small fee [$5000] we will include a uniquely engraved marker on the casket so that your loved one will.........”

3 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

.....Keep receiving their mail? 

Nope its so that a certain political machines get the name right on the absentee ballot :o:P

I re-read all the time. And every time I re-read, seems like, I see something I missed the first time around.

Don't really understand people that don't re-read. Unless you have a photographic memory and can call it up it anytime, re-reading is fun.

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE WESTERN MOVIE? "The Magnificent Seven. I've got it on DVD, but still, whenever it comes on television I watch it again."

I see stuff like that all the time on just about every board I'm on. People see nothing strange with watching a movie again and again, or watching television reruns. But reading a book more than once seems totally WRONG to many people.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Don't really understand people that don't re-read.

It takes me a month+ to read a typical book.  I'm not slow in the head, I think I just pay more attention to the words.  I also don't set aside much time per day for it. I remember enough from each book that I read that it makes me feel tired all over to think about re-reading it.  When I have tried to re-read a book, it irritated me when I would remember what was coming next.  Sometimes I'll re-read a portion to remember how something was  set up, but that's it. 

My wife talked me into reading a neal stephenson book once that was as big as the bible.  The first time she read it, it was on a flight.  I think it took me the better part of a year.  It was a good book, but it makes me shiver when I think about reading it again. 

I understand it is routine to put a stainless steel tag in with cremains with the ID of the deceased, and the name of the mortuary.
It's quite possible such an ID would be inserted into a coffin for earth burial.

As far as re-reading books, oh yes! love that! -- generally find things I missed the first time(s) around!

And yes again to McCaffrey, a blessing on her name!

3 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

the next step is a RFID 

that way , they got the proper address to vote 

CB :wacko:

After all, there's only so many vacant lot and empty buildings.

Unless you are in Detroit.:(

On 2/23/2020 at 12:42 PM, Alpo said:

I re-read all the time. And every time I re-read, seems like, I see something I missed the first time around.

Or the 4th or 5th time.  Or something that I understood I'll take in a different way because of something else I had read.  

I see stuff like that all the time on just about every board I'm on. People see nothing strange with watching a movie again and again, or watching television reruns. But reading a book more than once seems totally WRONG to many people.

Then, if you mention it like that, you get either a blank look of incomprehension or a, "Well that's different!"  
No, it is the same thing.

Archived