SASS Wire Forum

Life of viruses on surfaces

Trailrider #896

Yesterday, I purchased a desk chair at a office supply store.  It was disassembled, and I had the parts, which were wrapped in plastic loaded into my car, and took them home.  After I opened the plastic packages, I noticed a label that said, "Made in China" and a manufacturing date of November 19, 2019"  No idea where in China it was made.  Any idea if that nasty coronavirus could live on the faux leather surface, or on the plastic packaging?  I emailed CDC, but their website says it could be days before they have time to answer.  Note: I have NOT been to China...EVER!  Don't know anyone who has.  Store had a floor sample out, and so far as I've heard, none of their employees have gotten sick lately.  Am I just paranoid, or what? :unsure:

14 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Interesting read...  :rolleyes:

15,000 Year Old Viruses Found In Tibetan Glacier

Virus, illustration

True, but once exposed to the air, unless transmitted to animals and/or humans it is unlikely that they would have survived long enough to cause problems.  Don't forget, the samples discovered were placed in cold storage immediately to keep them for later analysis.  But then, you never know...  Andromeda Strain, anyone?

28 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

True, but once exposed to the air, unless transmitted to animals and/or humans it is unlikely that they would have survived long enough to cause problems.  Don't forget, the samples discovered were placed in cold storage immediately to keep them for later analysis.  But then, you never know...  Andromeda Strain, anyone?

I hadn't thought about that movie in decades. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are, wipe it down like Marshall said. You are, however, more likely to get contaminated by a Earthbound virus (man made in China) from a chair than you are to get one from a returning space vehicle or meteorite.

Do you remember how they used to isolate returning astronauts from the Moon and space? I wonder if they still do that.

Ah... just break up the ice and use in a glass of tea or something. 

Cat  Brules

Quote from the end of the article Hardpan posted:

They note that their work might grow in importance as the planet heats up due to global warming and melts glaciers, possibly unleashing deadly viruses.”

In 2013 my Wife and I went on a trip to Alaska. On the cruise portion of the trip the ship went into “Glacier Bay”. The information provided by the cruise line said that in the 1800’s the glaciers would have extended to the mouth of the bay. The ship traveled 2-3 hours up the bay before we reached what remained of the glaciers. Not sure of the actual distance as the ship was traveling at a cautious speed, however, you could not see the mouth of the bay behind the ship from the glacier face.

So do you think there is any chance that ancient viruses have NOT already been released into our modern world? Kind of makes you wonder!

Who knows how many such viruses, benign or malignant, or somewhere in between, have emerged and were immediately destroyed by the environment, or are harmlessly lingering out there, OR have been out there for 100,000 years but have remained undiscovered in limited regional environments such as jungle, desert, high altitude, or even newly mutated in artificial and natural environments, such as the New York City sewer system?  An example is the Ebola virus.  Another is the HIV virus, a natural environment mutation of a similar simian (monkey) virus, transferred to chimpanzees, then to humans, mutating from host-to-host.  :mellow:  :o

Cat Brules

1 hour ago, Cat Brules said:

Who knows how many such viruses, benign or malignant, or somewhere in between, have emerged and were immediately destroyed by the environment, or are harmlessly lingering out there, OR have been out there for 100,000 years but have remained undiscovered in limited regional environments such as jungle, desert, high altitude, or even newly mutated in artificial and natural environments, such as the New York City sewer system?  An example is the Ebola virus.  Another is the HIV virus, a natural environment mutation of a similar simian (monkey) virus, transferred to chimpanzees, then to humans, mutating from host-to-host.  :mellow:  :o

Cat Brules

YEP.   And don't forget bed bugs too.

..........Widder

11 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

When we get a flu shot, is that a live virus or a dead virus they put in our

blood?

..........Widder

The original flu shot was an "attenuated" live virus.  The current shot uses killed viruses only.

Archived