SASS Wire Forum

Who shoots a Henry?

El Hombre Sin Nombre

22 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Valid argument there. But then couldn’t you say why the 66 with the 73 improvements? And then why the 73 with the 92 improvements? 

I’d argue the 92 is NOT an improvement.

Just now, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

You could argue, but you’d be wrong 

Longer lever throw, lighter weight, harder disassembly, much more complicated design, extreme bullet length sensitivity...

how’s any of that that an improvement :D 

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Longer lever throw, lighter weight, harder disassembly, much more complicated design, extreme bullet length sensitivity...

Longer than a short stroked 73 perhaps. If you are speaking for thus game, then sure. But think of the time frame. The 92 made the 73 obsolete. Stronger design and lockup, hardier and more rugged for western use. And John Wayne used it so that should be enough to win any argument haha. 

Before my time, but I understand that the 92 was the king of this game before the 73’s were short stroked. 

Sadalia Dave.  Actually, there are a very few Uberti built 1860 Henry Rifles in 44 Special.  I tried for ever to get my hands on one.  No Joy.  So I also have an 1866 in 44 Special with an after-market carrier block for short rounds.  I DO run 44 Russian in that.  Great fun paired with my 72 Open Tops with 44 Colt cylinders and barrels.  Except ..... Uberti roll marked the barrels 44-40 which then have never built on the Open Top.  Twilight Zone perhaps.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Except ..... Uberti roll marked the barrels 44-40 which then have never built on the Open Top.

I have one of those barrels!

El Hombre: I have a full size Uberti/Henry in 44-40 if you would like to try it out in a match before you buy. I like mine, but only shoot it with C&B revolvers and a hammer shotgun, that way I can have train wrecks all day long! They Henry takes some getting used to, and it is heavy, especially if you put your left hand way back to avoid the follower, like I usually do.

And I converted my 2 Opentops to 44-40, work fine.

One of my Henrys is a carbine in 45 Colt.

Coffinmaker set it up to run 45 Cowboy Specials.

The carbine handles much better and is much less nose-heavy.

--Dawg

I am in the process of making a Transitional carbine myself, in 44-40.

4 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

And you'd be wrong again...

bB5A1w9.jpg

The lever throw on the 1873 is ~7", while on the 1892 it is ~6-½", the Marlin is ~6-¼".  My measurements are taken from the end of the lever at rest, and the forwardmost end of its stroke.  The three pictured have unaltered lever throws.   And, FWIW, my 1860 and other 1873 have approximately equal lever throws.  The 1892 carbine is lighter than the 1873 carbine with approximately the same densities of wood.    Look up the specs... one source shows the 1873 Carbine as 7.39 lbs, and the 1892 @ 5.8 lbs (that's in the same chambering, btw, tho' the 1873 has a 19" bbl, and the 1892 has a 20", accounting for the greater than expected difference).  The 1892 is a positive, mechanical lock-up, whereas the 1873 simply has a line up of parts, (bolt, pins & links, with no mechanical cross material).

The Winchester 1892 used the same cartridges as 1873, with the later addition of "HV" rounds in 44@CF & 32WCF.  Any COAL issues came with cowboy action shooting, Rossi carbines and more importantly, straight wall cases.  In addition, the attempt to run .38 Special/.357 Magnum or .44 Special & 44 RemMag cartridges thru the same gun with no changes to the guide rails created the vast majority of issues with Rossi 1892s.  Like the Marlin, once the user understands the action and takes corrective measures, COAL issues are a thing of the past.  Both my 1892 in .38/.357 run either cartridge like popcorn thru a goose! 

And, also FWIW, the year of manufacture of the Uberti pictured is 1986, the Rossi, 2002 & the Marlin, 1978.  (All happen to be 45 Colt, the Marlin wears a later "Cowboy" barrel shortened to 17", otherwise basically stock).  I can lay my 1860 (c. 2008), another 1873 (c. 2014), on top of one another and the lever throws are very nearly identical.

As I have often said, until the mid 1990s, the 1892 was "THE" rifle winners used.  Those that won with a Marlin, had figured out the Marlin "Jam" and corrected it.  Most early CAS shooters using the toggle links did so for style points, I know that was reason.  The evolution of short-strokes was done so quietly, that few rule makers were aware of how prevalent they were until it was a fait accompli.

Discussions around eliminating them as "legal" became mired in minutiae, since early versions were all "cut & weld" jobs, forcing people to revert back to a stock throw would have created many more problems than just allowing them... probably a mistake... as future iterations and the final rendering of a concrete limit as to how short they could be was enacted.

I ain't pickin' on ya, truly, it's important to be factual and accurate in our statements. I assure you,  there are many others that don't know the facts either... 

But, but, but..

Well, pthhhhhh!

I still like the variations of the 1860 family better and don't consider the 1892 an improvement regardless of facts. So there take that :P

Colt > Ruger

GM > Dodge > Ford

Maryanne > Ginger

1860/1866/1873 > 1894 > 1892

:lol::lol::lol:

5 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

But, but, but..

Well, pthhhhhh!

I still like the variations of the 1860 family better and don't consider the 1892 an improvement regardless of facts. So there take that :P

Colt > Ruger

Ford > GM > Dodge 

Maryanne > Ginger

1860/1866/1873 > 1894 > 1892

I completely agree with your analysis. 

50 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Colt > Ruger

GM > Dodge > Ford

Maryanne > Ginger

1894 > 1892 > 1860/1866/1873

44 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I completely agree with your analysis. 

Fixed that for ya... 

i shoot mine from time to time - i prefer my 1866 , but each to their own , nothin wrong with this rifle in any way save whats been mentioned above that makes it different and more interesting 

15 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Valid argument there. But then couldn’t you say why the 66 with the 73 improvements? And then why the 73 with the 92 improvements? 

Yes you can but in the discussion about going with C&B pistols all I'm saying is a 66 is period correct! I'm sure they're were some that got the new 73 and still shot C&B but probably very rarely. By the time 92's came around I don't think there were too many cap and ballers. Of course I wasn't alive back then so it's an educated GUESS!

I love the 66!!!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yes you can but in the discussion about going with C&B pistols all I'm saying is a 66 is period correct! I'm sure they're were some that got the new 73 and still shot C&B but probably very rarely. By the time 92's came around I don't think there were too many cap and ballers. Of course I wasn't alive back then so it's an educated GUESS!

I love the 66!!!

Yes it is. I love the show Hell on Wheels and 66 is featured prominently along with cap gun pistols. Getting a Henry won’t take away my 66 though. They’ll both be in the cart. Such fun stuff. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I wish someone would take "Period Correct" out of our lexicon.  This GAME we play is NOT reenactment  

I think someone should make that their alias and then wear the bare minimum to every match.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I think someone should make that their alias and then wear the bare minimum to every match.

That, or go on a cattle drive for 6 months without bathing and come to a shoot. That would be pretty period correct.

Just now, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

That, or go on a cattle drive for 6 months without bathing and come to a shoot. That would be pretty period correct.

You mean we're supposed to bathe? 

Who knew?

I guess that why they look at me funny on the days I go to the office...

Just now, Tyrel Cody said:

You mean we're supposed to bathe? 

Who knew?

I guess that why they look at me funny on the days I go to the office...

I highly doubt that's why. Or the only reason anyway

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I wish someone would take "Period Correct" out of our lexicon.  This GAME we play is NOT reenactment  

But it is if you want it to be!!:lol:

Tyrel and Sin Nombre  :blink:

It is more of a case of "Should You" rather than "Could You"   Blow-By is going to be horrendous as the chamber is NOT going to seal, you will over expand and split a bunch of cases.  The only right way to do it is to cut the chamber out of the 44-40 and sleeve it down to either 44 Special or 44 Russian.  Just trying to run 44 Russians is bad Juju

PS:  Answered in Classifieds too. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Are you sure about that? So you are telling me that not every single cowboy back in the day carried 2 pistols, a rifle, and a shotgun, plus backups for each of those in a cart with tons of extra ammo? Next you'll be telling me that the average age of cowboys was far less than 60.

4 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I, or we (Tyrel) just asked this in the classifieds, but can a Henry 9in 44-40 SAFELY chamber and fire 44 russian if installed with the shortened carrier?

I shoot 44 Russian in my Henry 44-40 sometimes, using a modified carrier.  I fireformed the Russian brass and only neck size it when reloading.  C. Coffin maker is right though about the correct way to convert a 44-40 to 44 Russian.  I had about 100 rounds of Russian brass and about 70 or 80 left after five or six reloads.  (The brass was just lost though, not split or cracked.).  Probably has a shorter brass life though.

Archived