SASS Wire Forum

pics of ugly guns.

Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L

Per H. K. Uriah's suggestion:

Here is one. It is a Smith and Wesson Model 3 1st Model Russian manufactured in 1873:

DSCN0719.thumb.JPG.4b2b913b7560cf71f66f39ba8dd027a2.JPG

DSCN0720.thumb.JPG.d1b6dc35b4e33e7ace34719a393a007d.JPG

304097068_SWOOMrussianetching.thumb.JPG.86d2a0be45bee4aa487581674b8b9261.JPG

DSCN0733.thumb.JPG.123468a0063fbd76bdd9c1ecb85f1c5c.JPG

It has been re-nickeled, has some external pitting that appears to predate the re-nickel, it appears to have had some of the barrel cut off (2 inches?) and a new sight dovetailed in. I can make out a few characters of the original barrel stamp.

It has ""Made by Western Arms Co. Pat. Rights July 2-1860 July 9,1865" "engraved"/electro penciled on the left side of the barrel. The actual dates stamped on the barrel should be "July.10.60 Jan 17. Feb 17. July.11.1865 & Aug.24.69".

The end of the barrel looks pretty poorly cut, thus the 6 inch barrel and the dovetailed sight Even the dovetail is not that nice. A small sight blade is separate from the dovetail. It too is pretty crude. (When I first looked at the revolver, the sight fell out so the seller knocked off $200!)

The gun is impeccable internally and shoots well but that “engraving” is something else.

Some past research indicated that it could have been a "movie prop" gun but I could not confirm this.

Well, since I suggested this, and since someone took up the idea, it is only fair that I participate.

Here is a First Generation Colt that has been given, in the words of the seller, "a bad chrome refinish."

4440Right.thumb.JPG.e05c98ee72d09187446275927eb2335f.JPG

4440Left.thumb.JPG.908db6a53d327e7440af8356f7b77448.JPG

As you can see, other than the patent dates, and even those are hard to read, pretty much all of the markings have been scrubbed off, the refinish looks especially poor on the cylinder, and the grips have clearly seen better days.   But mechanically, it seems to be in perfect condition and makes for an honest shooter.   I like the "character" that the gun has in this really ugly state.   The gold hammer, trigger, ejector and cylinder pin are an interesting oddity as well.  .44-40 if you are wondering.

Based on a pistol I saw in another thread that "inspired" the idea for this one, I also offer this image of a Second Generation Colt.

Colt2nd.thumb.jpg.4d54c163d181636547a49adbecb67ae3.jpg

The ugly here is more due to some hard aging more than anything else.  Seriously, I have some antiques that are well faded with age that look better than this one.  But it still shoots great. This one is .45.

Anybody else?

In case you want to remove the gold (if it is gold-wash) is to use a lead removal cloth.  (the yellow kind, maybe Outers?)

I have a Colt 1st gen that had similar treatment by a previous owner.

I was able to just rub off the gold leaving a nice nickle finish.  

It must have been a fad at one point as it seems there are a few out there that had similar "enhancement".

16 minutes ago, Earl Brasse, SASS #3562 said:

In case you want to remove the gold (if it is gold-wash) is to use a lead removal cloth.  (the yellow kind, maybe Outers?)

I have a Colt 1st gen that had similar treatment by a previous owner.

I was able to just rub off the gold leaving a nice nickle finish.  

It must have been a fad at one point as it seems there are a few out there that had similar "enhancement".

Actually, the gold is one of the things that I actually like about how this pistol looks.    If I ever do decide to restore this pistol, or just do something to make it look better, I'll keep the gold parts as is.

Here's another S&W. New Model 3 in 44 Russian. Had a broken stirrup and missing a sideplate screw when I got it. The internals look like new. I surmise that the stirrup broke and the owner just put it in a drawer for 100+ years.

Since it was not functional, I got it for a song.:D

Had a new stirrup fabricated and obtained the sideplate screw and it now functions perfectly.

DSCN1553.thumb.JPG.aaecffa8d761e8b3f7d75247c2ffe72f.JPG

DSCN1555.thumb.JPG.80ac10bd7c2d4051fb277f7b0f4ddfe5.JPG

DSCN1586.thumb.JPG.70a504ccfb44e85fe4859eaff0644c21.JPG

A few more -

The Iver Johnson at the top was found during the demolition of a house in Butte in the 70's. All the springs are gone (7, I think). Not rusted away, intentionally removed, as there is no trace of them at all.

Next is a 1910 (?) Mauser that came back from WWII with an uncle. The firing pin assembly and magazine are missing.

Bottom is an H&R "The American". Looser than loose and a broken firing pin. Nice grips though.

20200222_114037.jpg

This one looked like it had been chopped into a belly gun.  The cut on the barrel was uneven and had no crown.  On top of that, one of the cylinders was nearly worn through at the notch and the gunsmith reported that someone had removed the internals and put them in backwards.  Other than that, I didn't actually think it was ugly.  That's why when I got it fixed up I told him to age the barrel instead of re-blueing the frame.  I don't like shiny guns.  I kept the original barrel and cylinder just in case I find out some day that it was Al Capone's belly gun. 

Colt1.thumb.jpg.e0ef052896434cac37d9fd6c13c7c3dc.jpg

Colt3.thumb.jpg.1adb2d6e16134a2be8a205498a3e9be5.jpg

I wish I had taken a photo of this gun I saw at a gun auction here in Roseburg Oregon,  someone took a first gen Colt SAA BP frame,  cut it down to make a .22 LR out of it. It was cut at the top strap and in front of the trigger guard, a chunk taken out and welded back together. The cylinder was cut down and Chambers welded  then redrilled for the .22lr. The barrel had a tube pressed in it to about the .22 bore. The welding looked like a 12 year old did it and no 4 clicks, a gravel coated 3 and something  clicks, and the cylinder didn't know which way to rotate.  Broken handmade grips made from pallet wood.  The damn thing sold for 325.00

48 minutes ago, Major General Shagnasty said:

I wish I had taken a photo of this gun I saw at a gun auction here in Roseburg Oregon,  someone took a first gen Colt SAA BP frame,  cut it down to make a .22 LR out of it. It was cut at the top strap and in front of the trigger guard, a chunk taken out and welded back together. The cylinder was cut down and Chambers welded  then redrilled for the .22lr. The barrel had a tube pressed in it to about the .22 bore. The welding looked like a 12 year old did it and no 4 clicks, a gravel coated 3 and something  clicks, and the cylinder didn't know which way to rotate.  Broken handmade grips made from pallet wood.  The damn thing sold for 325.00

Buyer was the father of the 12 year old!

1 hour ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

Just saying...

58D252B2-C189-4049-BEEF-716588DD8143.gif

Well, if you wanna go down this route...

Winchester-94AE.jpg.f75e66d4d9fdc89918ff834ddffeee3b.jpg

Angle eject, cross bolt safety, sights are far from traditional.

I personally find the cross bolt safety much uglier than the tang safety and rebounding hammer, but those are gross as well.

i have no photo yet - i never thought i needed one - i have a colt 22cal SAA that was used on a trapline for long enough to look like it should be on a wall as a relic , but it is perfect working order 

16 hours ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

Yeah, the angle eject side safety was a travesty, but at least it’s still a Winchester. 

The thing that I find so hideous about angle eject, and everything that came after it, cross bolt safety, tang safety, rebounding hammer, is that none of these things were needed, and they messed up a perfectly good rifle.  And in my estimation, they are not "really" Winchesters either.   Oh sure, they were made at the old New Haven plant, but they were made by US Repeating Arms under licence.   To me, there are really 3 eras of the model 94.

1.  The Pre-64 era.   These are the guns made by Winchester from 1894 to 1964.  

2.  The Pre-83 era.  These are the guns made by Winchester from 1964 to 1983

3.  The Post-83 era.  These are the guns made for Winchester by others from 1983 onwards.  They incorporate angle eject and other icky things.   

If you want to say that the made in Japan 94s are a 4th era, I won't argue with you, but to me, they are just a continuation of the Post 83 stuff.

With regards to the "Pre-83" designation, that is, as far as I know, a phrase that had its origins with me.  It is my mission in life to see it become a common phrase to describe the post 64 guns that were made before the addition of angle eject.   It has not caught on all that widely yet, but I have seen others use it here on the wire occasionally.  I first started using the term in the late 80's when I worked at K-Mart in the sporting goods department.   Feel free to make it a wide spread term!  :)

Ugly gun!

Looks like someone removed top strap, barrel, trigger guard, and part of the grip frame.  It fires 22’s right out of the cylinder.  

BE466DA9-B38E-43FA-9F1B-345910C35684.jpeg

1 hour ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

Ugly gun!

Looks like someone removed top strap, barrel, trigger guard, and part of the grip frame.  It fires 22’s right out of the cylinder.  

Eek!  Is that thing even legal?   Could not not it be construed to be sawed off shotgun?  :rolleyes:

HK, it may not be legal in the state you live in, but it never was a shotgun so it couldn’t be sawed off.  Someone gave it to me many years ago and I’ve kept it as a curiosity piece.  I fired it with std velocity shorts to see if it would shoot.  It will.  Absolutely no practical value though.  

Unless someone has an ugly gun contest!

It would be neat (interesting?) if you could make all 8 chambers go off at once.  And not blow your hand off of course.

5 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

Ugly gun!

Great the Libs already restrict SBRs.  Let them get a look at that and they'll want to ban barrel-less pistols. :ph34r: :lol:  They'll call it the "short black gun ban"

2 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

Great the Libs already restrict SBRs.  Let them get a look at that and they'll want to ban barrel-less pistols. :ph34r: :lol:  They'll call it the "short black gun ban"

What would you all this then?

Pepperbox.thumb.jpg.496924f1f88283bcfd97739d08d76f01.jpg

Of course, it's a brass frame so it's black powder only.

19 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

What would you all this then?

Pepperbox.thumb.jpg.496924f1f88283bcfd97739d08d76f01.jpg

Of course, it's a brass frame so it's black powder only.

Blackpowder?  EGADS man what are you trying to pull here?  In that case it's a multiple charge fully semi automatic saturday night special explosive device. 

Just be glad it aint got a bayonet or they'd tack on assault in the description somewhere too. 

24 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Blackpowder?  EGADS man what are you trying to pull here?  In that case it's a multiple charge fully semi automatic saturday night special explosive device. 

Just be glad it aint got a bayonet or they'd tack on assault in the description somewhere too. 

Well, it is breech loading...

Glad to see all you are sticking with the ugly gun pictures and not ugly women pictures. Just saying.

Archived