SASS Wire Forum

Cooking tips: dehydrating bell peppers

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I've heard that this is as good as freezing but doesn't take up space in your freezer.  Trouble is I have no idea how to dehydrate anything.  My few disasters with my oven, microwave, and infrared cooker have all resulted in wasted food. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I been using these for years camping.   Decent produce isn't available locally and is 45 to 60 miles.   Depending on what I am cooking, in the dutch oven will just add as is if product is moist enough, like egg bakes.  Otherwise just soak in water.   Also a big fan of dehydrated hash browns.   I use the big water glass they sell you when your a patient at hospital to hydrate, just open the straw hole to drain excess liquid       GW

I've dehydrated a ton of jerky, it's pretty famous. I never had much luck drying veggies. Back in my younger days I did a good bit of backpacking, when first starting out, I got the bright idea I could dry some mixed veggies and shave some jerky in it and make some good trail soup. Didn't work. The veggies were very pretty, but that was in the mid 80's, and those veggies haven't cooked right yet. Sadly I have no sage advice amigo. I can tell you how to make some mean jerky. If you have a dehydrator (I built my first one from a cardboard box lined with foil and a drop light), some years ago my wife bought me a commercial one. My old one worked as well, but not as fast as the new one with a heat element and forced fan.

JHC

Archived