SASS Wire Forum

What would be the purpose of this table?

Alpo

IMG_20200221_163019.thumb.jpg.3a4f8523e8b17017e584e5d57d15ee54.jpg

When I first saw it, I thought it was like a hospital table. You could slide the feet under the edge of a bed and somebody that was sick had a table to eat off of.

Too low. The tabletop is 18 and 1/2 inches off the floor. The top of my mattress is 22 inches off the floor.

Then I thought - maybe you set it next to a chair. The feet go under the chair and the top is across your lap so you can do crosswords or needlepoint or something like that.

Still too low. The chair seat is 20 inches off the floor.

Anyone have a thought on its purpose?

A table for a sewing machine, perhaps. I’d have to get a better look at it.

Cat Brules

Slide the bottom under the couch and the top becomes a table over part of the couch. It’s called a couch table I’ve built quite a few of them. It sits next to you not over your lap.

13 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Slide the bottom under the couch and the top becomes a table over part of the couch. It’s called a couch table I’ve built quite a few of them. It sits next to you not over your lap.

What Yul said, I have plans for 3 or 4 styles

34 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Small childs writing desk.

Place it on top of another desk or table to create a podium?

I think you mean a "lectern."  :rolleyes:

S-h-h-h-h....  Don't tell Alps~!  do-not-tell-anyone.gif

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

As a light use table (meals, homework), it is not bad but one would not want to routinely put a lot of weight on the unsupported edge. As the load increases the two joints must be strengthened.

Exactly right. If you put your weight on it trying to get up from the couch it puts a tremendous amount of stress on those joints, they won’t last long.

Archived