SASS Wire Forum

Gun Fishing

Raylan

3 minutes ago, Raylan said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/05/father-son-find-cache-12-weapons-trawling-river/

Inspired me so much decided to get a magnet and try it myself........

WHAT...and no bodies? 5975ecfd0db8f_WhistlingEmjoi-RESIZED.jpg.45edd918a08242899d4a541b1a30d376.jpg

From what I understand, criminals often toss their crime guns off of bridges while driving over them. Around here there are a bunch of bridges for them to do that. I've never heard of the cops doing routine underwater "bridge sweeps" for crime weapons. Probably because of the tidal currents which can be quite strong and the sands cover up the guns/knives anyway.

So many questions. 

"a pair of “Widow Maker” M16 assault rifles which were popular during The Troubles"

Windowmaker M16's?  I've never heard of that so I looked it up.  Sounds like the widowmaker in ireland was an AR18.  Similar to the AR15 but different.  OK whatever, that's close enough.  But I'd also never heard of "the troubles" and looked that up.  Those were in the 1600's. 

huh?

"Neil, 43, believes that their haul is due to Irish Republicans casting their weapons into the river when they were supposed to declare arms in 2001."

"However, Avon and Somerset police, who removed the weapons for inspection and are dredging the river a second time, have said that the arms come from a nearby munitions factory which operated during World War Two."

Sounds like the guy who found them knows a heck of a lot more than the authorities. 

"Neil said he was delighted at the haul."

“The civil war pistol is the gold of the catch," he said. "There’s also a musket from the 19th century, which is incredible. We can’t believe our luck, we absolutely hit the jackpot here."

Errrm.  Sounds like Neil isn't aware of the plans that the authorities have. 

“It is believed that this is the case this time and the weapons are to be examined by the armourer prior to destruction. "

I hope Mr Neil fights and saves those older weapons at least, even if I know it would be pointless to try to save them all.  Too bad there were no pictures of the older guns. 

25 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

So many questions. 

"a pair of “Widow Maker” M16 assault rifles which were popular during The Troubles"

Windowmaker M16's?  I've never heard of that so I looked it up.  Sounds like the widowmaker in ireland was an AR18.  Similar to the AR15 but different.  OK whatever, that's close enough.  But I'd also never heard of "the troubles" and looked that up.  Those were in the 1600's. 

huh?

"Neil, 43, believes that their haul is due to Irish Republicans casting their weapons into the river when they were supposed to declare arms in 2001."

"However, Avon and Somerset police, who removed the weapons for inspection and are dredging the river a second time, have said that the arms come from a nearby munitions factory which operated during World War Two."

Sounds like the guy who found them knows a heck of a lot more than the authorities. 

"Neil said he was delighted at the haul."

“The civil war pistol is the gold of the catch," he said. "There’s also a musket from the 19th century, which is incredible. We can’t believe our luck, we absolutely hit the jackpot here."

Errrm.  Sounds like Neil isn't aware of the plans that the authorities have. 

“It is believed that this is the case this time and the weapons are to be examined by the armourer prior to destruction. "

I hope Mr Neil fights and saves those older weapons at least, even if I know it would be pointless to try to save them all.  Too bad there were no pictures of the older guns. 

Can't let facts get in the way of a good story. I'm surprised they didn't say anything about the 16th century Gatling Gun that they found.

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

According to the Avon and Somerset Police the M16s were dumped there by a munitions factory during World War Two. Who'd have thought? :huh:

someone needs to check some dates and facts.  They are starting to sound like Californians.

I reckon they could change the name of our local inland body of water to "Ironbottom Lake," since so many of our local populace have decided to divest themselves of those evil, narsty gas-pipe firearm things.  MUCH cheaper than all that "registration" nonsense, don'tcha know!  winking.gif  :rolleyes:

On 2/21/2020 at 5:41 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

12 gunz=a 'horde' they said. :o

'They' would be hav'n 'vapors', if 'they' ever saw what I have. :lol:

OLG 

Imagine how they would react if they saw vendor's row at EOT between the early and late shooting sessions.

Archived